Need help identifying a ~~ mystery ~~ Guild 12-string

wileypickett

Reaction score
Rosewood I'm pretty sure. I have both mahogany back-and-sides and rosewood back-and-sides Guilds, so I THINK I can tell the difference (he said, hedging his bet).

The back in natural light looks very little like the photo -- the flash I guess.

wileypickett

Reaction score
Hello Steffan,

I never responded to your email, r.e. the Bridge Doctor. My comments about these things can be found in the archive, but I love them! The first one I had installed on a Taylor guitar nearly 10 years ago at the advice of my guitar tech. It not only fixed the bridge pull, but the guitar sounded dramatically better. Not just louder, but it increased the guitar's bass growliness. I did some research on them and discovered that Taylor and other makers use them routinely in their repair shops to correct behind-the-bridge bulge.

Also that sound tests show that they often increase the volume of a guitar by transmitting vibration from the bridge plate to the end block and thus to the sides and back. Now, I'm pretty skeptical of laboratory sound test claims -- I usually can't discern any difference when using products that claim to make guitars sound better.

But two things do make an audible difference: replacing a plastic saddle with bone, and installing a Bridge Doctor.

On 12-strings the BD not only corrects any bridge pull (something that's more likely to occur on 12-strings because of the additional pull of the strings), they also prevent it from happening in the first place.

I've had them installed on all my good 12-strings, which means all my Guilds, and the improvement in sound has run the gamut from slight to dramatic. My Guild JF-30 12, my first good 12-string and one I've owned for years, was a completely different beast with the BD on it.

However, I can't bring myself to put them on six-sting guitars that don't have bridge pull. It feels like I'm having non-essential surgery performed on them!

Glenn//.

dapmdave

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
wileypickett said:
Rosewood I'm pretty sure. I have both mahogany back-and-sides and rosewood back-and-sides Guilds, so I THINK I can tell the difference (he said, hedging his bet).

The back in natural light looks very little like the photo -- the flash I guess.

Really looks like dark mahogany to me, too. Looking forward to the word from Hans!

Pretty 'burst, too.

Dave

GardMan

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
I agree... looks like tinted mahogany to me (or almost like paduak).

dapmdave

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
GardMan said:
I agree... looks like tinted mahogany to me (or almost like paduak).

My '77 F212XL has a similar-looking back & sides.

Dave :D

West R Lee

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Looks like mahogany to me......AND there's a date on the right (treble) side of that neck block, but I can't read it.

West

12 string

Reaction score
Guild Total
After seeing the pix I would guess it's an F-212XL.

' Strang

wileypickett

Reaction score
An F212XL?! Man, that would so deflating after all this! Sometimes the mystery is better than the reality.

taabru45

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Thanks Glenn, for the BD review....I have a 'campfire' Ventura that needs something like that...breath some better action into those older guitars that aren't worth a re-set....Steffan

hansmoust

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
wileypickett said:
An F212XL?! Man, that would so deflating after all this! Sometimes the mystery is better than the reality.

Yup! That's what it is! It's a 1979 F-212XL neck which was married to a 1988 F-212XL body. Now the F-212XL was not in full production during that particular period ( 1988 that is) but a few were done and the model was reintroduced in the line during 1989, so Guild may have had a few bodies lying around. I would think the conversion/repair would have been done at the Guild factory.
The only thing that may have been done at a later date is the bridge, which should have been ebony on an F-212XL.
This one is rosewood and they didn't do the cleanest job while gluing it in place and you can still see the circular marks on the bridge wings, which would not have been there if it had been done at the Guild factory.

That's pretty much what I think of it. Could be a great guitar and I hope you will enjoy it!

Sincerely,

Hans Moust
www.guitarsgalore.nl

SFIV1967

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
The rosewood of the bridge looks very dry to me, a few drops of lemon oil might be needed.
Ralf

12 string

Reaction score
Guild Total
wileypickett said:

Well, maybe the romance is gone from the story, but F-212XLs are great guitars!

' Strang

wileypickett

Reaction score
Thanks Hans!

Well, the fact that the body and neck were made nearly 10 years apart before being married to each other, and that it was likely done by Guild, makes it a little more interesting! (Makes me feel like I didn't TOTALLY waste everyone's time anyway!)

It's a great sounding guitar. Don't know if it's a keeper, since I have several F-412s and F-512s, but it's a good 'un.

I'll apply some boiled linseed oil to the bridge.

Cheers everyone ~~

Glenn//.

SFIV1967

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
wileypickett said:
Makes me feel like I didn't TOTALLY waste everyone's time anyway.
Glenn: We love that kind of stuff! You don't waste anybody's time here! It would be boring here without those kind of stories and special things!
Ralf

West R Lee

Venerated Member
Reaction score
SFIV1967 said:
wileypickett said:
Makes me feel like I didn't TOTALLY waste everyone's time anyway.
Glenn: We love that kind of stuff! You don't waste anybody's time here! It would be boring here without those kind of stories and special things!
Ralf

Yes, I agree.....it gives us sort of a puzzle to work on :) .......fascinating to learn this stuff.

West

fronobulax

Bassist, GAD and the Hot Mess Mods
Reaction score
Guild Total
wileypickett said:
Makes me feel like I didn't TOTALLY waste everyone's time anyway!

No time was wasted. I find it fascinating that Guild mated a neck and a body with a ten year age difference.

12 string

Reaction score
Guild Total
It's still a pretty cool story.