Stills on a Martin D-45 from 1970

walrus

Reverential Member
Gold Supporting
Reaction score
Great link! Stills has an unbelievable right hand technique!

walrus

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
ca35 said:
walrus said:
Great link! Stills has an unbelievable right hand technique!
walrus
Apparently only you and I think so......
Nahhh...it's just a slow day. I never remember to give him enough credit for how much he influenced me...all the way back to Buffalo Springfield...."Bluebird"..."Rock'n'Roll Woman"...but I'll never forgive him for passing up that Monkees gig and sending out Tork in his place! :lol:

CA-35

Reaction score
I read somewhere that he also passed up being Jimi Hendrix's bass player.

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
ca35 said:
I read somewhere that he also passed up being Jimi Hendrix's bass player.
Hmmmm... as an avid Hendrix fan and reader of a couple of bios, I don't recall that one...I see the reference now on Wiki, with a "Citation needed" note. Frankly I'm skeptical due to the fact that the Experience was formed in London in late '66 and Stills was still in Buffalo Springfield, based in US. Also the backing members in the Experience were originally intended to be just that, and not compete for the focus on Hendrix. I'm also skeptical about the explanation that Stills' manager never passed on the invite because he was worried Springfield would lose Stills to Hendrix, as Hendrix was a virtual unknown at the time and Springfield was already well-launched.
HOWEVER Hendrix GUESTED on Stills' first album, on "Old Times Good Times". AND they both guested, along with John Sebastian and Buddy MIles, in an impromptu jam with Timothy Leary on Leary's "You Can Be Anyone This time Around." Hendrix plays bass on that cut.
Personally I suspect the acquaintance began when their paths crossed somewhere when touring, as Hendrix was notorious for dropping into clubs and asking to sit in, wherever he was. Possibly as early the Monkees first tour, on which Hendrix was the opener for about 6 shows, or maybe at the Monterey Pop Festival...or maybe in early '68 when Hendrix was living in LA for a short time.

walrus

Reverential Member
Gold Supporting
Reaction score
Hendrix and the Monkees - one of the classic line-ups of all time!!!

walrus

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
walrus said:
Hendrix and the Monkees - one of the classic line-ups of all time!!!
walrus
One of my favorite insider viewpoints on that matchup is in a Monkees documentary wherein Mickey says that he was in large part responsible for getting him on the tour as he'd seen Hendrix and was so knocked out by his sound that he dragged the rest of the group out to see him.
Things get pretty hilarious when he describes all the young preteen girls screaming "DAVEY! DAVEY!" all through Jimi's set, which usually resulted in Jimi cutting short in disgust. To keep things "believable" the story was cooked up that Jimi's act was being protested by the Daughters of the American Revolution and so he was graciously retiring from the tour. Or something like that. :lol:

spiderman

Reaction score
Thanks for the link. Hard to believe but I "discovered" him only about 6 months ago. Of course. I knew who he was but did not appreciate him until recently.

Harmony H-173 bought in 1960 (retired), Alvarez AC60S 2008, Eastman AC320ce 2008 "Hybrid", Guild GAD-JF30E(blonde) 2008, Guild D25M 1974, Martin Grand J35E 2009, Martin D12-20 1970, Martin OM-21 2009, Voyage-air VAOM-06 2010
"I'm glad there are a lot of guitar players pursuing technique as diligently as they possibly can, because it leaves this whole other area open to people like me."
Richard Thompson