Who is your Guitar Hero?

fab467

Reaction score
West:

Doobie Doobie Doooo? Not to be confused with Old Blue Eyes...

Saw these guys live in the late '70s. Dynamite concert!

6L6

Reaction score
Tommy Tedesco
Hank Marvin
Rich Fifield
Chris Cobb
Glen Campbell
Steven Stills
Patrick Sky

Frosty

Reaction score
My taste is always changing so it would be impossible to make an immutable list! But, I was thinking about who I've been listening to lately - more than three musicians, for sure. But one could trace the roots of those players back to a smaller number of seminal pickers. So, I suppose I would have to award "hero" status to the original roots players of those styles, in no particular order: Gary Davis, Blind Blake and Merle Travis.

dogberry

Reaction score
Frosty said:
My taste is always changing so it would be impossible to make an immutable list! But, I was thinking about who I've been listening to lately - more than three musicians, for sure. But one could trace the roots of those players back to a smaller number of seminal pickers. So, I suppose I would have to award "hero" status to the original roots players of those styles, in no particular order: Gary Davis, Blind Blake and Merle Travis.

So glad to see Gary Davis come up! I'll add John Hurt, Libby Cotten and John Fahey.

Honorable mention:
Jorma, Rory Block, Robert Johnson (talk about someone who accomplished a lot in a short life), and Leo Kottke.

scott

Reaction score
Leo Kottke- When you look at what other finger-stylists were doing at the time-60's-70's, Kottke was years ahead of any of them-rhythmically, technically and musically. It really wasn't until early to mid 80's that others were catching up. (Hedges, Towner,DeGrassi and Tommy) Now you have the percussive phase- look at the top 15 list created a few weeks ago. That is where we are at now. Like it or not- I guess.

Thunderface

Reaction score
GAD said:
Born in '82? I graduated High School in '82. You callin' me old? :)
If they're calling you old, GAD, then they're calling me old, because I graduated the same year you did. While I didn't go to high school with you, I did go to high school with this guy. Back then, I wasn't as educated as I am now, so I didn't fully appreciate his good taste in guitars.

MWS100.jpg

But I digress. We were discussing guitar heroes, of which I admired a great many on this list. Then I saw "Going Down" and now I want to play like ...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3A-PHgXb_yk

West R Lee

Venerated Member
Reaction score
fab467 said:
West:

Doobie Doobie Doooo? Not to be confused with Old Blue Eyes...

Saw these guys live in the late '70s. Dynamite concert!

They still are Fab. I saw them probably 3 times as a kid, again about 10 years ago, and then a couple of weeks ago. Pat Simmons mentioned that they had been performing together for a tad over 40 years, and it's hard to imagine how they still put so much energy into a performance. I think they're better than they used to be. But I supposed that stands to reason as I'm sure they could play all of their music in their sleep....probably have. :)

West

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
Unless I missed him, most of mine are already mentioned, except for one Mr. R. Havens, probably best recognized for opening the notorious Woodstock Arts and Crafts fair in 1969. There was also a movie.
Lotta the good parts got censored out, but not all of 'em. :lol:
Mess'rs. Santana and Hendrix also contributed to the general pandemonium along with Mr. P Townshend, and the two guys who were already planning the launch of Hot Tuna...
Sadly Mr. J. Beck was unable to accept an invitation due to the implosion of his group. Seems like a lot of these guitar hero guys can be a bit temperamental and hard to work with. :lol:
The Allman Brothers may have been overlooked completely as their star was only just rising. Leslie West and Mountain made the date though.
Thanks for remembering John Cippolina.
Jimmy Page deserves a spot in there somewhere too.
And those are just the guys from the '60's.... :wink:

coastie99

Enlightened Member
Reaction score