Bedroom Amp Wars: Vox AC4TV Showed Up Today

hojo199

Reaction score
My (new in box) Vox AC4TV 10" showed up today. I played the Strat though it first and was so very pleased with the tightness of the low end and the lack of brittleness in the highs. Very warm for an amp this size. The sweet spot is about a notch past half way up on both volume and tone. Full way up, it does get a little flubby in the low end -- but that could be the new speaker needing to grow up a bit.

To my ears, the tone held together beautifully at 1 watt and really,pretty close at 1/4 watt. It is NOT a quiet amp at 4 watts, but is very happy at 1 watt -- that is, happy for ME. I suspect that it will mostly live at the 1 watt setting here when other peeps are around.

As expected, both the Les Paul and the Gretsch 6120 took some dialing around to find sweet spots. The latter was quite nice clean, less nice than the Strat when playing dirtier. The Les Paul was just "eh" all the way around (plays much better with the AC15).

The Gretsch Tennessean, however, stole the show. The HiLo single coils and the Vox are a perfect match.

So the bedroom amp war has finally been settled over here. I am very happy with this little guy tucked under my desk.

Super Moderator
Platinum Supporting
Reaction score
Guild Total
I've been interested in an AC-4 for a while, but haven't had the time or finances to pick one up. Interesting that the Paul and it don't get along. I wasn't surprised about the Tenny though!

hojo199

Reaction score
Default said:
I've been interested in an AC-4 for a while, but haven't had the time or finances to pick one up. Interesting that the Paul and it don't get along. I wasn't surprised about the Tenny though!

The Paul is a sweat hog -- it needs more head room than 4 watts. It doesn't sound bad -- just not that perfect marriage like the Tenny and the Strat.

AlohaJoe

Reaction score
Did you try other low-wattage amps before you bought it? I'd be interested in your thoughts and comparisons.

hojo199

Reaction score
AlohaJoe said:
Did you try other low-wattage amps before you bought it? I'd be interested in your thoughts and comparisons.

I didn't. I love my AC15 and was really leaning toward staying with Vox, which, obviously, is what did.