GF-30 Member Review

dapmdave

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Great review. I'd be interested to hear how your experiments with different strings go.

Dave :D

ladytexan

Reaction score
How long have you owned the GF-30: 3 months
Year & specific model: '87 GF-30 Maple
Purchased new or used: Used
Price paid: A very fair price (from twocorgis)

Owners rate 1 (least appreciated) to 10 (most appreciated) in following categories with comments as desired:

Build quality: 10
Looks: 10
Projection:10
Bass: 8
Mids: 8
Highs: 10
Sustain: 10
Playability/comfort: 10
Dependability: 10
Fingerstyle: 10
Flatpick: 10
Strum: 9

Condition (Mint/Excellent/Good/Fair/Poor): Excellent to near mint condition (guitar and case). There is some finish cracking, but nothing serious. No major dings or dents. No cracks. No repairs. Action is low and makes for easy playability.

Favorite Strings (one selection only): TBD

Would you buy another if lost/sold: Although it would be hard to find one, yes, I would look for another GF-30 maple.

Overall Assessment: Outstanding small-bodied Gruhn with a loud voice. Lots to love about this one.

Most Appreciated Characteristic: Maple sound (sounds a lot like a F412 - not volume-wise, but maple-wise). :)
Least Appreciated: None
Favorite GF-30 Story/Moment: So new, I don't have any stories.....yet

Other observations/comments: Honestly, I was never a fan of maple guitars until I played a new NH F412. That opened my eyes and ears to the great sound that only can be achieved by a maple. I, now, understand why musicians and recording artists want to have a maple guitar in the herd. A unique sound...almost harpsichord-ish. The size of this guitar makes it so fun to play. And, of course, the Gruhn design influence is a big factor in the sound acheived. Luv, luv, luv it! :) It won my heart over the first time I played it. Thanks, Sandy, for selling this little gem to me.