Hoboken 99 J, I think...

guildman63

Reaction score
I recently came across a Guild amp from Hoboken in a local music store. It sounded great for a few minutes and then got very chimey with intense harmonics as the tubes warmed up, kind of like a cyber twin harmonic chimes setting. It looked identical to the 99 J that is currently on Ebay, but without the Guild tag on the front. I know nothing about Guild amps, and despite the incredibly clean physical appearance the sound scared me away, even at $325. I had initially considered offering $275 anyway, but not knowing amps and how much it might cost to fix (if possible) the problem, or how much of the amp was even original, I chickened out. By the time I returned to the store one week later the amp had been sold, and for the full asking price. At this point it no longer matters, but in the interest of potentially beating myself up further for letting this opportunity pass me by I would like to know if anyone has thoughts on what the harmonics were all about, and what a 99 J in excellent condition and full working order is worth. Thanks!

Super Moderator
Platinum Supporting
Reaction score
Guild Total
Not sure what you mean by "harmonics", but it's possible that you are describing a microphonic tube, in which case you just buy a new one.

Three and a quarter isn't bad for a tube amp with 2 6v6's or 6l6's.

capnjuan

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
Hi GM63: the odd noises ... they could have been caused by any number of things ... none of which couldn't have been fixed by a decent tech for reasonable money. As mysterious as the physics might seem, most old amps don't offer that many trouble-shooting challenges.

There's another 99J in this LTG thread that's owned by a member here. Not really sure what they are worth but on eBay and in reasonably good physical and electronic condition, they sell in the $300-$450 range.

guildman63

Reaction score
capnjuan said:
There's another 99J in this LTG thread that's owned by a member here. Not really sure what they are worth but on eBay and in reasonably good physical and electronic condition, they sell in the $300-$450 range.

That is the very amp I looked at and went back to buy, but just a few days too late. I am disappointed that I did not pull the trigger when I thought about it, but at least it went to another LTG'er. Maybe another will cross my path one day as it did sound very good initially.