Rare Starfire?

G

Unregistered
User deleted by their request
OK all you Guild experts...I have several questions are involving the same Guitar.
1. I am looking for any Guild Guitar with a prefix of CH in the serial number.
2. I am looking for proof that a rare "Starfire 500" exsists
3. Is there such a Guild product of "Leather Bound" tool kit or manual in the Starfire V series.
4. Does anyone have or have you seen a Starfire with "Gold" hardware instead of chrome & nickel?
5.. Are there any ex-Guild execs or worker out there from the late 60's or 70's that may have such info.

kakerlak

Reaction score
First of all, welcome! This is a fun place.

Hans Moust is your cat for SNs and model designations.

As for Starfires in general, there is a Starfire VI, which has X-500 style bindings, inlays, etc and gold hardware. Here's mine:

PICT1022.jpg

There are also a handful (literally 5 or 6) Starfire VIIs out there, which have a big, Artist Award style headstock and a deeper body.

It sounds like you're asking about a specific instrument, which makes me eager to see pics!

Don't know much about case candy. The only thing I've got is the warranty card for my SF6. There are a few guys on this board that worked in the Westerly, RI plant, though!

taabru45

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
kakerlak said:
First of all, welcome! This is a fun place.

Hans Moust is your cat for SNs and model designations.

As for Starfires in general, there is a Starfire VI, which has X-500 style bindings, inlays, etc and gold hardware. Here's mine:

PICT1022.jpg

There are also a handful (literally 5 or 6) Starfire VIIs out there, which have a big, Artist Award style headstock and a deeper body.

It sounds like you're asking about a specific instrument, which makes me eager to see pics!

Don't know much about case candy. The only thing I've got is the warranty card for my SF6. There are a few guys on this board that worked in the Westerly, RI plant, though!

That's awfully nice... :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: Steffan

hansmoust

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
rooster1 said:
OK all you Guild experts...I have several questions are involving the same Guitar.
1. I am looking for any Guild Guitar with a prefix of CH in the serial number.
2. I am looking for proof that a rare "Starfire 500" exsists
3. Is there such a Guild product of "Leather Bound" tool kit or manual in the Starfire V series.
4. Does anyone have or have you seen a Starfire with "Gold" hardware instead of chrome & nickel?
5.. Are there any ex-Guild execs or worker out there from the late 60's or 70's that may have such info.

Hello rooster1,

Welcome!

Here are the answers:

1) All Starfire Vs from the second half of the '90s have a serial number that starts with the CH prefix.

2) As member kakerlak already pointed out, there was a Starfire VI which was the Deluxe model in the thinline Starfire series with all gold hardware and '500' style trimmings.

3) I'm not sure what you mean, but if you want to know if there is a book in which you can find info about the various Starfires, I can tell you that there is. It's called 'The Guild Guitar Book - The Company and the Instruments, 1952-1977'. It has been 'out-of-print' for a while but it should be back in print very soon.

4) Yes, as we already pointed out, that would be the Starfire VI ( or Starfire 6 depending on the year of manufacture). For a short time around 1990 there was also a kind of 'Limited Edition' Starfire 4 with 'gold' hardware available. Also keep in mind that over the years basically any Guild could be 'custom ordered' with 'gold' hardware.

5) Yes, there are several ex-Guild workers on this forum and they would probably give you the same answers.

Sincerely,

Hans Moust
http://www.guitarsgalore.nl

fronobulax

Bassist, GAD and the Hot Mess Mods
Reaction score
Guild Total
hansmoust said:
3) I'm not sure what you mean, but if you want to know if there is a book in which you can find info about the various Starfires, I can tell you that there is. It's called 'The Guild Guitar Book - The Company and the Instruments, 1952-1977'. It has been 'out-of-print' for a while but it should be back in print very soon.

Rooster1 - welcome.

Since he is being modest, poster hansmoust is the author of the referenced book. I doubt if you will get a more authoritative answer.

hansmoust

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
fronobulax said:
I doubt if you will get a more authoritative answer.

Well, it looks like Mr. rooster1 was not convinced. We had a couple of e-mails flying back and forth and at this point I'm not sure if he's a little confused about Guilds in general or maybe he's pulling my leg.

I'll try to keep you all posted.

Sincerely,

Hans Moust
http://www.guitarsgalore.nl

Guilderagain

Reaction score
hansmoust said:
It's called 'The Guild Guitar Book - The Company and the Instruments, 1952-1977'. It has been 'out-of-print' for a while but it should be back in print very soon.

Hans,

Please do tell when its back in print. I must be the only member that didn't buy a copy - shame on me! :oops:

Also, If I recall, were you not working on a subsequent years book too? Any progress report on that, or am I being to pushy?

Best Regards,

taabru45

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
maybe he's pulling my leg.

I'll try to keep you all posted.

Sincerely,

Hans Moust
http://www.guitarsgalore.nl[/quote]

The price or the benefits of fame Hans....at this point I have to pull my own........never mind...! :lol: :lol: Steffan

guildman63

Reaction score
Rooster1,

Welcome! I can't speak to the ins-and-outs of Starfires over the years, but here is a picture of my 1991 Starfire 4 with gold hardware and an ebony fretboard.

kakerlak

Reaction score
Man, I was thinking about this post the other day. What sort of configuration would Guild have chosen to label Starfire 500?

I'd expect the X-500-level trim, but that's already covered in the SF-VI model designation... Maybe some combo of full depth body, spruce top and/or fully hollow construction? Any of those 3 differences would make for a pretty neat guitar.

Still, I'd expect Guild to have just labeled such a one-off as "Starfire 6 spec." Or maybe some series of cryptic letters. :lol: