How do they get this sound ?

Ian

Reaction score
I'm wondering how they get that wocka wocka sound that you hear on records like Bill Withers " who is he and what is he to you", you also hear it on Tony Joe Whites stuff and a lot of that typical 60's soul type records. Anyone know what I'm talking about ? I figure it must be an effects pedal of some sort....

The Guilds of Grot

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
It's a "Wah-wah" pedal.

140.jpg

Ian

Reaction score
Thanks Grot, thats obviously a Guild one you have, I'm assuming there's other makes available ? Any recommendations ? ( To be honest probably not something I'm going to spend a fortune on, but figured it could be funky to play about with )

Cheers, Ian

PS Congratulatulations on reaching 100.

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
Ian said:
Thanks Grot, thats obviously a Guild one you have, I'm assuming there's other makes available ?
:lol: :lol: :lol: That'd be a "yes". Do you have an electric instrument store close by? They're SURE to have a variety.
Durabillity of the mechanism itself seems to be an important feature to investigate, the actual mechanical linkage that controls the pot, and the switch, and the pot itself for "linear response".
This Wiki article is very good for insights:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wah-wah_pedal
Hendrix was an early CryBaby proponent ("Voodoo Chile". "House Burnin' Down", "Up From the Skies", and if my memory's correct, you can see at least one fleeting close-up of him using one in the Woodstock film)
See also: "Theme From Shaft" (1971). That's the one that turned the sound into the cliche you're thinking of. :wink:

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
coastie99 said:
I was going to offer that the wocka wocka sound may be some sinister-looking guys in an Iroquois, checking out your garden !!
Oh, they don't need the helicopters anymore, the satellites have plenty of resolution now.. :shock:
Have you looked at Google Maps recently? Not sure if you can get it "down there", but for me, it's almost as much fun as flying!

The Guilds of Grot

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
I'm a "bing maps" guy myself. I love the "birds-eyed" (now "angled") view!

You can go check out Guild guitar factories without even leaving your desk!

Hoboken;

FormerGuildPlant-Hoboken.jpg

For a cleaner photo you can turn the street labels off.

Westerly;

FormerGuildPlant-Westerly.jpg

An then with a little cropping you get a right nice photo!

New Hartford;

NewHartford.jpg

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
The Guilds of Grot said:
I'm a "bing maps" guy myself. I love the "birds-eyed" (now "angled") view!
For a cleaner photo you can turn the street labels off.
Westerly;
FormerGuildPlant-Westerly.jpg
Ok in the spirit of the veer, just what exactly do you think they ARE doing in there now? :lol: We're about to have city-licensed grow warehouses out here in Californy.....and suprisingly enough (as an unreformed free thinker), I'm agin' it! :shock:

Super Moderator
Platinum Supporting
Reaction score
Guild Total
Wahs are around 70 bucks American. I just can't get my feets to work one. :oops:

fronobulax

Bassist, GAD and the Hot Mess Mods
Reaction score
Guild Total
adorshki said:
Ok in the spirit of the veer, just what exactly do you think they ARE doing in there now? :lol:
Was that rhetorical? I think people have posted of visits to the site. I seem to recall some kind of food establishment - probably restaurant but perhaps bakery and maybe a furniture maker. Clearly the building, although perhaps not the depressed economy, is capable of supporting more.

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
fronobulax said:
adorshki said:
Ok in the spirit of the veer, just what exactly do you think they ARE doing in there now? :lol:
Was that rhetorical? Clearly the building, although perhaps not the depressed economy, is capable of supporting more.
Yeah, it was rhetorical. I guess agricultural conversion of old warehouse space isn't getting NEARLY the attention out there, that it is out here..... and all those skylight windows seem to make it a natural ! :D

capnjuan

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
coastie99 said:
Default said:
Wahs are around 70 bucks American. I just can't get my feets to work one. :oops:
Here's Leon. Did he Wah or did he !
He did he wah ... so did the guy with the whopper saxophone on the far left ... what is that thing?

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
capnjuan said:
coastie99 said:
Here's Leon. Did he Wah or did he !
He did he wah ... so did the guy with the whopper saxophone on the far left ... what is that thing?
Looks to be your garden variety bass saxophone...as opposed to your CONTRAbass saxophone (and no it wasn't invented in El Salvador..or was it Nicaragua...where's Ollie North when you really need him?):
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hXBeu7o9uUM
:D

Brad Little

Gold Supporting
Reaction score
Interesting pictures of the east coast Guild shops. I've been to all three, anybody else?
Brad

capnjuan

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
Thanks Al; I love this place ... so much information ... doesn't get any better!

Some pretty snazzy numbers that young man was pumping out ... I'll bet the contrabass saxophone is a real chick magnet :shock: :shock: :shock: :wink:

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
capnjuan said:
Thanks Al; I love this place ... so much information ... doesn't get any better!

Some pretty snazzy numbers that young man was pumping out ... I'll bet the contrabass saxophone is a real chick magnet :shock: :shock: :shock: :wink:
Blows 'em away! :D

capnjuan

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
adorshki said:
capnjuan said:
Thanks Al; I love this place ... so much information ... doesn't get any better! Some pretty snazzy numbers that young man was pumping out ... I'll bet the contrabass saxophone is a real chick magnet :shock: :shock: :shock: :wink:
Blows 'em away!
:lol: :lol: I know the sensation ... I played the clarinet in ES and early jHS ... I'd tell the chicks 'but Benny Goodman played one ...' and they'd say 'got any gum?' :shock: :( :?

Ian

Reaction score
Brad Little said:
Interesting pictures of the east coast Guild shops. I've been to all three, anybody else?
Brad

Nope, but it is only me or does it appear that they have gotten smaller over the years ?

Cheers, Ian