Your favorite picture(s) of an artist playing a Guild?

pancho400cid

Reaction score
I'm not a huge Randy Travis fan, but I do like a couple of his songs. Per the Time Life Album cover (I guess that's what it is) that floated across my Instagram feed this AM he plays a Guild at least sometimes - or played prior to his stroke/health issues. The pic is probably from the 90's I'd guess.

Super Moderator
Platinum Supporting
Reaction score
Guild Total
mike_newportfolkfest_1965.gif

Look in background at 3:24.

Mike Bloomfield playing through an early Guild Thunderbird. About 25 to 30 watts, probably cranked as high as it will go. Bob Dylan plugged into this amp later that night for his first electric performance.

blues-band-the-paul-butterfield-blues-band-perform-at-the-newport-picture-id151860216

Horn-from-the-Heart-still.jpg

Guild keyboard?

mike-bloomfield-mark-naftalin-elvin-bishop-and-paul-butterfield-of-picture-id74256171

Yup.

paul-butterfield-and-elving-bishop-of-the-rock-group-butterfield-picture-id73989758

paul-butterfield-elvin-bishop-mike-bloomfield-and-jerome-arnold-of-picture-id73989750

Last edited:

walrus

Reverential Member
Gold Supporting
Reaction score
I just came across this photo of Johnny Cash. We've seen lots of pictures of him with his Guild(s), but I can't recall ever seeing this one. Just something cool about it...

EkdJDwal.jpg
[/IMG]

walrus

sailingshoes72

Reaction score
That’s a classic image of Johnny Cash! And, I like the B&W photo. Great find!

Looking at the fretboard inlays and headstock shape it apppears to be a George Gruhn/Kim Walker model.

Last edited:

D30Man

Reaction score
Guild Total
That is a super cool pick of JRC.. Wasn't there a Johnny Cash Guild model out there??

D30Man

Reaction score
Guild Total
gj - I have to say looking at your signature I wish I would have had an uncle like you!!

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
That is a super cool pick of JRC.. Wasn't there a Johnny Cash Guild model out there??

That's one of two custom D-60's for him, according to the Johnny Cash Museum in Nashville.

Photos here.

I'm absolutely positive I read an article in which Gruhn tells the anecdote of actually approaching Johnny to present him with a guitar (one of the prototypes?), but couldn't find it again on a search yesterday.
Seem to recall Johnny asking if he could get one in Sunburst to which George replied "Of course!" (and under his breath: "Oh thank you thank you thank you....")
Seem to recall it happened on an airplane or airport?
From that perspective I'd be willing to say that was Guild's Johnny Cash model although technically not a "signature edition" or "Hank Williams" or "Willie Porter" (Tacoma) -type model.
I'll try to found that article one more time, it's subtly humorous..

AcornHouse

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
How about a little Mick Taylor playing a Guild with some pickup bassist playing a humongous acoustic bass. (I think he was in a trio for a time. But they only lasted a couple of years.)

4c0017f1-5379-40a6-8fd8-e511ab8700d5.jpeg

idealassets

Reaction score
Mick certainly knows his good guitars. Are there any recordings known of him playing this 12 string, or any other acoustic songs for that matter?

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
How about a little Mick Taylor playing a Guild with some pickup bassist playing a humongous acoustic bass. (I think he was in a trio for a time. But they only lasted a couple of years.)

4c0017f1-5379-40a6-8fd8-e511ab8700d5.jpeg
:glee:
Is that not Jack Bruce?
Mick Taylor's Wiki page:
"After his resignation from the Rolling Stones, Jack Bruce invited him to form a new band with keyboardist Carla Bley and drummer Bruce Gary. In 1975, the band began rehearsals in London with tour dates scheduled for later that year. The group toured Europe, with a sound leaning more toward jazz, including a performance at the Dutch Pinkpop festival, but disbanded the following year".

Last edited:

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
You know, that could be Jack Bruce!
Oh, it is, buddy.
Did a little image searching after seeing he hooked up with Bruce after quitting the Stones.

https://www.gettyimages.com/detail/...-mick-taylor-formerly-of-news-photo/886653978

Jack Bruce And Mick Taylor

Scottish musician Jack Bruce (1943 - 2014, top) and Mick Taylor, formerly of the Rolling Stones, at Bruce's home in Essex, UK, January 1975. (Photo by John Minihan/Evening Standard/Hulton Archive/Getty Images)

scottish-musician-jack-bruce-and-mick-taylor-formerly-of-the-rolling-picture-id886653978

Last edited:

sailingshoes72

Reaction score
Good detective work guys! I still can't get over the size of that acoustic bass guitar. And he's playing it seated on the floor with maharajah cushions. :welcoming: