Clawhammer guitar?

cjd-player

Reaction score
Very nice. :D :D
Bet she plays banjo too. :wink:

I guess that make sense if you learned claw hammer first, such as on a banjo.
But I don't see any advantage for claw hammer on a guitar if you can play fingerstyle.

I play fingerstyle on guitar and am trying to learn claw hammer on the banjo.

Reaction score
cjd-player said:
Very nice. :D :D
Bet she plays banjo too. :wink:

I guess that make sense if you learned claw hammer first, such as on a banjo.
But I don't see any advantage for claw hammer on a guitar if you can play fingerstyle.

ya I agree. Today's one of them that I need to be playing instead of listening...but I can't quit listening so....here's some more of the TuTTles (the girl playing clawhammer guitar is a tuttle)....
from 2007:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E5fBEQQt ... re=related

from 2006:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zTHgDQFn ... re=related

2009:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VkifgFTMM1k

Check out her right hand technique on that last one....I had to watch it several times just concentrating on her right hand...I don't know that I've ever seen such a limp-wristed approach like that...right hand never touches the guitar.

Frosty

Reaction score
cjd-player said:

There is that grooving clawhammer rhythm, I suppose.

I first heard someone play the guitar like this a few decades ago... I think it was Jody Stecher. My $.02 - it's interesting for a few minutes, kind of gimmicky, and gets old fast. I feel the same way about tapping on the strings of the guitar.

But, I'm a geezer so what do I know. ;)

Reaction score
Frosty said:
cjd-player said:

There is that grooving clawhammer rhythm, I suppose.

I first heard someone play the guitar like this a few decades ago... I think it was Jody Stecher. My $.02 - it's interesting for a few minutes, kind of gimmicky, and gets old fast. I feel the same way about tapping on the strings of the guitar.

But, I'm a geezer so what do I know. ;)
I pretty much agree with all the above 8)

killdeer43

Reverential Member
Reaction score
cjd-player said:
She's playing three-finger there, not claw hammer.
Definitely three-finger, Scruggs style on that one.

I started out trying 3-finger with my first banjo but I just don't care for picks on my fingers (banjo OR guitar) so I shifted over to clawhammer and open-backed banjos. I just like that style better.
I learned the Pete Seeger method and pretty much clawed away with that ever since.
I have tried clawhammer on guitar with the guitar tuned to open G and it's nothing to write home about :shock: it's just for fun.

If my wife is within a block of home, I don't play the banjo, because I care about her feelings! :lol:

Joe