D25 Serial # is not in the books

G

Unregistered
User deleted by their request
I recently bought a D25 with a Hoboken N.J. tag inside. The serial number is OG-254. The Guild serial number guide lists the last OG serial number as OG-233. It is currently at a luthiers for repair. It is all mahogany and looks like all photos of early D25s. It has a black veneer headstock with GUILD inlaid in pearloid. Am I wasting my money restoring this guitar?

chazmo

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Duzer,

Welcome to LTG.

What do you mean by wasting your money? If you're trying to determine whether you'll get back what you put into the instrument, we probably can't tell you that without knowing exactly what's at stake (lots of pictures and cost).

That said, you're talking about a Hoboken-era Guild, which are rather special to most of us here at LTG. Restoring a 40+ year old guitar is more a question of passion than dollars and cents. Most of us will probably tell you that you should do whatever it takes, but that's passion speaking. It's only worth it if having one of these special Guilds is important to you. Anyway, just my opinion...

Finally, hopefully Hans will respond to your question. He has records for a lot of the old production.

hansmoust

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Duzer1 said:
I recently bought a D25 with a Hoboken N.J. tag inside. The serial number is OG-254. The Guild serial number guide lists the last OG serial number as OG-233. It is currently at a luthiers for repair. It is all mahogany and looks like all photos of early D25s. It has a black veneer headstock with GUILD inlaid in pearloid. Am I wasting my money restoring this guitar?

Hello Duzer1,

Welcome! Regarding the serial, it's a number from 1970. During that year Guild lost track of the serial number system, which is the reason why they started a completely new serial number system during the year 1970. Your guitar is one of the instruments that was made before the change and consequently it has a number that is higher than the last number for the year 1969, which was OG-233.

Sincerely,

Hans Moust
http://www.guitarsgalore.nl

killdeer43

Reverential Member
Reaction score
Duzer1 said:
Welcome to the forum duzer.

I'm with chazmo when it comes to your question about whether or not you're "wasting" your money. You just picked up a Guild guitar that comes with a nice historical link, according to the info provided by the man we turn to for all things Guild. I know that many here would probably leap at the opportunity to even spend a little time with your guitar. And like chazmo suggested, you might provide a little more info so we could better understand your dilemma. Did you pay an outrageous amount of money for it and what are the repairs you're having done?

If you do feel that you're wasting your money, post a few pics here and consider selling it. You certainly have our attention. :wink:

Best to you,
Joe