Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Guild GAD Series Member Reviews

Re: Guild GAD Series Member Reviews

Quote Originally Posted by Scratch
    How long have you owned the GAD Series Guild: did not buy, played it in the shop
    Year & specific model: 2009 GAD F212 12 String Grand Auditorium Sunburst
    Purchased new or used: New
    Price paid: asking $1100, came down to $850 plus tax, includes OHSC

Owners rate 1 (least appreciated) to 10 (most appreciated) in following categories with comments as desired:

Build quality = 9
    Looks = 10 (Sunburst)
    Projection = 9.5
    Bass = 9.5
    Mids = 10
    Highs = 10
    Sustain = 10
    Playability/comfort = 10
    Dependability = ?
    Fingerstyle = NA
    Flatpick = 9.5
    Strum = 9

Condition (Mint/Excellent/Good/Fair/Poor): New

Favorite Strings (one selection only): NA

Would you buy another if lost/sold: yes

Overall Assessment: some GAD are obviously inferior to the USA made, this IMO is an exception

Most Appreciated Characteristic: comfort, beauty, sound
    Least Appreciated: nuttin
    Favorite GAD Series Guitar Story/Moment:

Other observations/comments:
    many GAD offer great performance, quality, value
    Billy, E.TN
    Guild GAD-50 Sunburst (ForSale)
    Guild GAD 50 Natural
    Guild F512
    Eastman AC822 GA

How long have you owned the GAD Series Guild: 2 days
    Year & specific model: 2011 GAD50 Antique Sunburst
    Purchased new or used: Used
    Price paid: $400

Owners rate 1 (least appreciated) to 10 (most appreciated) in following categories with comments as desired:

Build quality: unknown, seems great to me, I'm not qualified to evaluate build quality
    Looks: 10, never seen a prettier sunburst, a lot of yellow which I love
    Projection: 8
    Bass: 10 as good as any I've every played, which is a lot
    Mids: 8
    Highs: 9
    Sustain: 10
    Playability/comfort: 10
    Dependability: no comment
    Fingerstyle: NA
    Flatpick: 10
    Strum: 110

Condition (Mint/Excellent/Good/Fair/Poor): mint

Favorite Strings (one selection only): don't have a favorite

Would you buy another if lost/sold: yes

Overall Assessment: Extremely impressed

Most Appreciated Characteristic: Tone, beauty, sustain, comfort, guitar has it all.
    Least Appreciated: mids might be a little weak...
    Favorite GAD Series Guitar Story/Moment: the first Guild I played was a D55 which was stunning in tone. This GAD50 is extremely close. I love this guitar, looks and tone and comfort are all 10 out of 10. I prefer this smaller nut width.

Other observations/comments
    Last edited by billymo; 02-10-2016 at 03:18 AM.
    Billy - Praise Strumming
    Guild DV-62
    Eastmans AC822, AJ816CE Archback, AJ615C Archback Burst, AC420
    Blueridge BR-01
    Bedell TB-24-G Cedar Top
    Fishman Loudbox Artist Acoustic Amp

Recently Departed:
    Guilds F-512, GAD F-212, GAD-50
    Eastmans E8OM, AC812, AJ616CE Archback
    Blueridge BR-180

How long have you owned the GAD Series Guild: 5 months
    Year & specific model: 2013 D 150
    Price paid: $750 with HSC

Build quality 9 great fit and finish. Nice Wood, frets nicely finished. Loses a point for plastic nut and binding.
    Looks 8. Well finished. Kind of plain but has some nice touches like mother of pearl logo on headstock and MOP on rosette
    Projection 10 LOUD with great sustain
    Bass 7 for a guitar that's loud the bass is a little subdued, but it is beginning to "bloom" as I play it more
    Mids 7 lacks a little articulation
    Highs 9 can really cut through the mix. Can be a little brassy.
    Sustain 10 (Insert Spinal Tap reference)
    Playability/comfort 9 LOVE the neck after playing bass for 30+ years and other guitars with thick necks this thing is easy to play. Action is a little high
    Dependability so far so good
    Fingerstyle ???
    Flatpick My playing is kind of technically retarded, but I can't use the guitar as an excuse.
    Strum 10 Strong point. Big, loud, you can really beat on it.

Condition (Mint/Excellent/Good/Fair/Poor): Mint. Still haven't put a ding or scratch in it.

Favorite Strings (one selection only): D'Addario Phosphor Bronze Light gauge (12-53)

Would you buy another if lost/sold: In a second. A steal at this price

Overall Assessment: Great guitar. My current favorite I play it every day. And I'm a bass player.

Most Appreciated Characteristic: Fast, easy playing neck
    Least Appreciated: Guild can't make an American made instrument of this quality at this price.
    Favorite GAD Series Guitar Story/Moment: Playing guitar with my brother, he asks to try mine out. I take his Martin D 28 he takes my Chinese Guild. AS we're playing he asks me over and over "How much did you pay for this?". He couldn't be believe how well it played and how good it sounded. I love the way his guitar sounded, but I'd much rather play mine. I couldn't wait to trade back.

Other observations/comments: This guitar has fantastic bang for the buck
    Guitars - 2013 Guild GAD D-150
    1963 Gibson J 45
    Early '70's Fender Stratocaster
    1995 Epiphone Les Paul Custom

Basses - 1968 Fender Telecaster
    1975 Fender Precision
    1996 Ibanez SR 800
    2004 G&L L-2000

I've got 2.......A D140 and a F130 CE. I installed a K&K Pure Mini in both. As all here have found....they're real nice guitars. I've been playing 43 years and have had 3 Martin D18's which were great guitars no doubt. But they weren't better sounding or better playing than my two Guilds. The build quality of the Guilds stands up.
    I've been in the Machine Tool business all my working life and today it's all about Jiggs & Fixtures and CNC machining. It has streamlined Guitar manufacture. Now I can own a well built , great sounding guitar with out going to the Bank. If the design is good and the materials well chosen along with quality control no one will lose.

I have been listening to lots of videos at Maple Leaf Music of some real nice guitars in the range of $2100 to $5700. There were Martins, Goodall, Collings (best of the bunch) and Bourgeois and I'm still thrilled with my two Guilds. There's good consistency of quality and sound between the two guitars that would suggest Guild is on the right road.
    I really feel that the K&K Pure Mini , the Fishman Loudbox Mini or the Roland AC33 augment the sound considerably. But then, I rarely play unplugged.

I've got a GAD-30 i bought off of Ebay, it is quite nice and well broken in. I also have a GAD-40 I bought in 2012 that was reworked in the Tacoma factory and stamped used on the back of the peghead. It is real deep with maple back and sides much like a Gibson Nick Lucas model, but way better. The fingerboard is a bit narrow but considering I have a grand in the two guitars I feel quite fortunate to two fine sounding guitars. I have owned other Guilds in the past but they were no better than these.

How long have you owned the GAD Series Guild: Since 2011
    Year & specific model: 2011 GAD F212
    Price paid: 560

Build quality - 10
    Looks NA
    Projection - 10
    Bass - 10
    Mids - 10
    Highs - 10
    Sustain - 10
    Playability/comfort - 7
    Dependability - 10
    Fingerstyle - 9
    Flatpick - NA
    Strum - NA

I would add two more factors

Intonation - 9
    Tuners - 10

Condition (Mint/Excellent/Good/Fair/Poor):Mint

Favorite Strings (one selection only): Newtone 11-50

Would you buy another if lost/sold: Yes

Overall Assessment:
    Great guitar, if anything I am a bit surprised by how well the guitar was made. In 4 years of owning the guitar, I've used a myriad of different string gauges ranging from 10-47 to 11-52 in a number of different open tunings and the distance of the strings at the 12th fret is still exactly the same as it is on the QC card which the guitar shipped out with.

Most Appreciated Characteristic: It's rock solid. Sounds fantastic too.
    Least Appreciated: My only gripe with the guitar is that I wish it had slightly wider string spacing at the saddle and to nit pick the distance between the pairs of strings was slightly closer, it is to nit pick though.
    Favorite GAD Series Guitar Story/Moment: Really I couldn't be happier with the guitar.

One thing I'd sneak in is it records like a dream.

I am a little late to this party, but I want to throw my opinion in on the GAD series should a newer prospective Guild buyer on a budget come stumbling across this thread for some direction / opinions.. I have owned 2, and though I traded them both straight for a 2001 Corona D-50 a few months back, I have nothing but really good things to say about the GAD that I have owned and some that I have played.

GAD Makes / Models owned: 2007 gad 50 ( SUNBURST ) and a 2014 gad d125 ( solid hog natural )

D125 NOTES: It was a great guitar overall and sounded awesome when I bought it. I had the action lowered and the luthier went a touch too low for my taste compromising some of the awesome tone. Also, like most if not all GADs, it was glossy as hell.. The earlier version which was called GAD25 was a superior instrument I believe to this one. It had a lot more detailed appointments, bone nut and saddle and was overall beefier in my opinion.. A songwriter I gig with owns a GAD25 and I love playing his.. It is a damn fine instrument..

GAD 50 NOTES: The GAD50 I had was one of the earlier series and did it sing? It sounded almost as good as the Corona D50 I have now.. One flaw that it had was that the neck was put on crooked in the factory.. This flaw along with the fact that the guy I bought it from was an avid church player who toured the church circuit with this guit in the trunk often made it hard for me to fall in love and easy at trade time.. Serious fret issues abound with that one.. However, tone wise, it was a magnificent guitar.. I would buy another if the price was right..

In closing, the GAD series in my opinion is truly a great line up of guitars for anyone on any level.. I am really excited to try out the westerly collection line.. And contrary to some of the folks on here that name does not bother me even a bit.. I am also keeping my eye out for a well-priced GAD25 ( not D125 ) to add to my collection and if I run into a well-priced GAD50 along the way I might make a deal...
    Guits:
    '12 Guild F30RCE New Hartford
    '15 Eastman E-6D Natural Dread w/ LB6 Installed
    '89 Strat MIJ Projectcaster Marvel's Daredevil "Devilcaster" w/ Might Mite Maple neck & '91 Fender American P/U's
    '16 Tele Partscaster w/ MIM Fender RW Neck & USA Seymour Duncan Bridge P/U
    '17 LTD EC-401QM Frankenpaul ( originally found in 3 pieces in a Guitar Center dumpster )

Amps / Pedals:
    Crate Palomino V32 US Made Class A tube amp
    Fender Champion 100 SS Combo

I have to chime in (again?) on this post, not having read all the threads and somewhat worried that I have posted previously...

In 2009 I bought a GAD30PCE...and about a week later a Tacoma D55...as before, the "siren of Rosewood" got me.

Stand alone, that "PCE" was an exceptional guitar. My personal problem is that I think I am just a dreadnaught-guy...if
    it doesn't sound good to me playing it, it doesn't sound good..which does not mean it doesn't sound fantastic about ten feet out...

My problem was that I had both this small body GAD and a D55. Happy as a clam playing the GAD, but if I pulled out the D55
    the GAD sounded like a cereal-box to me...the GAD was a ~$1400 guitar that I got for about $900 at the time...my brother "gifted"
    me with a " '95 vintage-Strat" which he got off eBray for about the same money...so after an appropriate "cooling off" period I gave
    him the GAD...he loves it...his wife loves it...I get it back from time to time to change the strings (use LaBella, the guitar loves them,
    DR Dragons a close second)...to me, the on-board electrics sound very brittle but I didn't have an acoustic-amp at that time.

The padauk/stika combination is as nice as you can find (I had read that padauk is a "rosewood subsitute")...if I was doing a custom
    build I might think of that tonewood combination...in a dread, of course
    Last edited by Bill Ashton; 06-02-2015 at 10:12 PM.
    Collings D2H (Austin)
    Guild D-55 (New Hartford)
    Guild Starfire-4 (Westerly)
    Huss & Dalton DS Custom (Staunton)
    Guild 66-J amplifier (Hoboken)

I am pleased to say that a couple of weeks ago I added a GAD back to the stable.. I found a GAD25 on reverb in really good condition and negotiated a really good price. I did a NGD on the Acoustic thread.

Review notes: Love it!!! It is balanced, warm, has great projection, and maybe the most comfortable neck profile that I have played.. It fits me like a glove and it is going to be a great guitar with which to write songs.. I picked it up for well under $500 and it is worth every penny. I own a vintage westerly cherry d25 and a late 90's westerly d30 and I will say that this GAD25 holds its own with the other two.. Just a phenomenal build quality. The Chinese were really trying to compete when they made these..
    Guits:
    '12 Guild F30RCE New Hartford
    '15 Eastman E-6D Natural Dread w/ LB6 Installed
    '89 Strat MIJ Projectcaster Marvel's Daredevil "Devilcaster" w/ Might Mite Maple neck & '91 Fender American P/U's
    '16 Tele Partscaster w/ MIM Fender RW Neck & USA Seymour Duncan Bridge P/U
    '17 LTD EC-401QM Frankenpaul ( originally found in 3 pieces in a Guitar Center dumpster )

Amps / Pedals:
    Crate Palomino V32 US Made Class A tube amp
    Fender Champion 100 SS Combo