Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Guild GAD Series Member Reviews

Guild GAD Series Member Reviews

How long have you owned the GAD Series Guild:
    Year & specific model:
    Purchased new or used:
    Price paid:

Owners rate 1 (least appreciated) to 10 (most appreciated) in following categories with comments as desired:

Build quality
    Looks
    Projection
    Bass
    Mids
    Highs
    Sustain
    Playability/comfort
    Dependability
    Fingerstyle
    Flatpick
    Strum

Condition (Mint/Excellent/Good/Fair/Poor):

Favorite Strings (one selection only):

Would you buy another if lost/sold:

Overall Assessment:

Most Appreciated Characteristic:
    Least Appreciated:
    Favorite GAD Series Guitar Story/Moment:

Other observations/comments:
    Scratch Sends...

'88 JF30-12
    '66 Gibson B25-12
    '08 Little Martin (Maddie's Guitar)
    '10 Santa Cruz OM/PW
    '13 Collings OM2H
    '14 Yamaha LS16

"I'd rather believe in God & die to discover He doesn't exist, than disbelieve and die to find out He does"

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/page_mu ... dID=867145

Re: Guild GAD Series Member Reviews

Apologies to GAD owners for taking the humour a bit too far.
    I can sometimes allow myself too free a reign.

Horse.

I just picked up a GAD-50L a few months ago. The fit/finish seems pretty good. Before I comment on the sound and playability, I must confess that I haven't played in 25 years. I think it sounds pretty good. My 2 complaints are the neck is very narrow, (used to play classical, so used to a wider neck), and Guild doesn't make an American made left handed guitar. Oh, and it seems to go out of tune rather quick. I bought it on Ebay for $500 (factory refurbished). Anyone have any tips they care to share, feel free.
    GAD-50L
    D4-12NT (RI)
    F-30 (NH)

I own a GAD 50, purchased in 2007. It has a noticeably deeper tone than others in the price range, so a more unique voice. It has great character; the diamond position markers, the sunburst. It had a clear pickguard, which was replaced with a tortoise one. Grover tuners; no problem keeping in tune.

I am very pleased with the bass response and the trebles. There is not much string tone separation; the sound is a blend, pretty much across the board. It has an excellent sustain.

I would like the neck to be a tad wider and a bit thicker. I know the trend for lower priced guitars is to try to appeal to the huge electric guitar market, but as I play more, I want a thicker neck. I think the thin neck is the one off-putting thing about this guitar.

A luthier in the area who played it said it had a Martin tone, and thought it was one of the best Guilds he'd ever heard. He has a substantial playing (and luthiering) bank of experience, so that was a surprise to hear, actually.

Guild GAD30-PCE

How long have you owned the GAD Series Guild: 8 months
    Year & specific model: GAD30-PCE
    Purchased new or used: New
    Price paid: $1000

Build quality 10
    Looks 10
    Projection 8
    Bass 8
    Mids 10
    Highs 10
    Sustain 9
    Playability/comfort 9
    Dependability 10
    Fingerstyle 10
    Flatpick 10
    Strum 7

Condition (Mint/Excellent/Good/Fair/Poor): Mint

Favorite Strings: John Pearse light or medium – presently using new mediums

Would you buy another if lost/sold: yes

Overall Assessment: This guitar is as close to a Collings as I have found; this is a very pretty guitar – the trim and details are tasteful; the build quality is excellent.

Most Appreciated Characteristic: appearance and dimensions. And the guitar’s African padouk wood smells really nice when the case is opened up.

Least Appreciated: I might have the string spacing changed in the future and consider a soundport.

Favorite GAD Series Guitar Story/Moment: When I purchased this, I A/B’d it against similarly styled (F30) New Hartford Guilds (which were $1000 more in price). This guitar easily held its own.

Other observations/comments: Since the purchase, the guitar’s voice has opened up and it is a very well balanced guitar. I suspect with time it will continue to develop its voice (and my playing will continue to improve :lol: ).
    Guild GAD30-PCE Antique Burst cutaway - china doll!

How long have you owned the GAD Series Guild: 2 months
    Year & specific model: GAD m-120
    Purchased new or used: new
    Price paid: £400

Owners rate 1 (least appreciated) to 10 (most appreciated) in following categories with comments as desired: 8

Build quality: feels very solid, i have dropped and banged it around already and no dings or breakages.
    Looks: great, except the finish.
    Projection: best out of all the small body guitars i tried.
    Bass:
    Mids:
    Highs:
    Sustain: I know nothing about these, but it sounds great to me, can be a bit 'thuddy' but i quite like that.
    Playability/comfort: ridiculously easy, my fingers arent the most dexterous so its perfect.
    Dependability: what? its always in its case when i need it.
    Fingerstyle: very easy, everything is nice and closer together and you can mask mistakes.
    Flatpick: not sure what this is?
    Strum: not as good as a big dreadnought, but again better than other small bodied.

Condition (Mint/Excellent/Good/Fair/Poor): new

Favorite Strings (one selection only): i put martin mediums on for a bit of a deeper sound, not sure if it made much difference.

Would you buy another if lost/sold: definitely, unless someone gave me more money.

Overall Assessment: better than other small guitars in its price range with the added bonus of solid wood (even though its cheap and probably unethically sourced african mahogany)

Most Appreciated Characteristic: ease of playing due to neck
    Least Appreciated: the horrible finish
    Favorite GAD Series Guitar Story/Moment: reading that the m120 was used by nick drake, only to find out that this probably wasn't the case...

Other observations/comments: this took too long

Year & specific model: 2003 GAD-25
    Purchased new or used: New (still in original packaging on Ebay)
    Price paid: 599

Build quality: 10. On first inspection it looked flawless. The wood binding was gorgeous and well executed. I installed a pickup a few days ago and inspected the inside. It was also flawless. No glue drips or loose purfling.
    Looks: 10. Everyone comments on how beautiful the wood is. Need I say more?
    Projection: 10. This particular guitar floors every player that gives it a whirl in this category. The other guitarist in my band played it when I got it and his first comment was how the sound just seemed to JUMP out of the guitar. I agree with his comments.
    Bass
    Mids
    Highs

Not sure how to rate these separately, however, it should suffice it to say that it is one of the most balanced guitars I've ever played. The string to string articulation is incredible. Its got gobs of Bass, a gorgeous amount of Mids, and sweet, singing highs. Hammer-ons and pull offs ring out well within thick five and six-string chords.

Sustain: 8.5. The sustain is more than sufficient. It won't sustain indefinitely (:P), but longer than most any guitar that I've played.
    Playability/comfort: 8. Action could be a smidge lower, but it's not high by any means. The neck is comfortable, not too thin, but not too chunky. It took some getting used to since its radically different than the neck on my other guitars, but I've come to love that neck. I believe it's my favorite or very close to.
    Dependability I've had it for a couple weeks so I can't really comment on that, but it seems like it should hold up as well as any other acoustic.
    Fingerstyle 9: Delicate fingerpicked lines sound gorgeous on this guitar. The Khaya body is both bright and warm and at low volumes is smooth as silk. Very balanced at low volumes. The bass doesn't overpower the rest of the guitar nor does it get lost when played softly.
    Flatpick 9. Great flat-picking tone. The overarching balance of this guitar makes bluegrass just come alive.
    Strum 9. Great full tone while strumming. It breaks up nicely at higher volumes giving it that bluesy grit. Soft strums sound delicate but full. Medium to loud strumming has good volume and each string can be heard in the strum, which was a nice surprise.

Condition (Mint/Excellent/Good/Fair/Poor):
    Well it was new, I'd sure hope it was mint. Lol. It was.

Favorite Strings (one selection only): Dunlop Phosphor Bronze Mediums. I will never go back to the D'addarios that were on this originally. I've always used D'addarios, but on this particular guitar, they just don't have as good of balance. The Dunlops highlight the richness of the bass and highs in a way that is almost magical.

Would you buy another if lost/sold: Absolutely. This has a tone that is just beautiful. Better than any other "Hog" I've played, and at a mere $600.... It's practically a steal. I would NOT however, buy the newer model (the GAD-125). The neck on the older model is much better, and the inlay on the headstock makes the guitar look much more deluxe.

Overall Assessment: I give it full marks. 10/10, an A+! This guitar has the sound that I've always wanted. The workmanship is great. The look is fantastic. People love it and I love it. And at such a good price, how could one be unsatisfied?

Most Appreciated Characteristic: The tonal balance and articulation.
    Least Appreciated: The case that it came with wasn't glued correctly so some of the tweed was coming off. I had to reglue it my self.
    Favorite GAD Series Guitar Story/Moment: When I showed my bandmates my new guitar and their eyes widened, their jaws dropped open and they were captivated by its sheer beauty. lol

Other observations/comments:I'm glad that I got the older model. It also sounds really good with a L.R. Baggs M1 active pickup in it. That's what I'm using live and I'm very satisfied.

Guild GAD-50

How long have you owned the GAD Series Guild: 4 months
    Year & specific model: GAD-50 year unknown
    Purchased new or used: used from Guitar Center online
    Price paid: $450

Owners rate 1 (least appreciated) to 10 (most appreciated) in following categories with comments as desired:

Build quality = 9
    Looks = 9
    Projection = 9
    Bass = 10
    Mids = 8
    Highs = 9
    Sustain = 9
    Playability/comfort = 10
    Dependability = 10
    Fingerstyle = 8
    Flatpick = 10
    Strum = 10

Condition (Mint/Excellent/Good/Fair/Poor): Good

Favorite Strings (one selection only): Polyweb Custom Light

Would you buy another if lost/sold: for sure

Overall Assessment: Favorite Guitar ever held (priced under $3000) other than her big sister, the D-55. Supreme tone to accompany my folk, mellow and Christian worship style singing.

Most Appreciated Characteristic: TONE
    Least Appreciated: nothing really
    Favorite GAD Series Guitar Story/Moment:

bass is unique, exotic, like you've never heard. Beautiful.
    Billy, E.TN
    Guild GAD-50 Sunburst (ForSale)
    Guild GAD 50 Natural
    Guild F512
    Eastman AC822 GA

How long have you owned the GAD Series Guild:5yrs c2 and 3yrs 30ce
    Year & specific model:Gad C2 and Gad 30ce
    Purchased new or used:both new
    Price paid:

Build quality10
    Looks Both have gloss finishes that are impecable
    Projection C2 10 30ce 8
    Bass 10 8
    Mids 9 8
    Highs 8 8
    Sustain
    Playability/comfort both 10
    Dependability both 10
    Fingerstyle both10
    Flatpick ?
    Strum ?

Condition (Mint/Excellent/Good/Fair/Poor):Mint

Favorite Strings (one selection only):C2 D'addario normal tention 30ce elixer light

Would you buy another if lost/sold: yes and yes

Overall Assessment:C2 sounds and plays as well as the much more expensive Remirez I've Played The 30ce was compaireble to the taylor GC3 I played.

Most Appreciated Characteristic: Price
    Least Appreciated:None
    Favorite GAD Series Guitar Story/Moment: None

How long have you owned the GAD Series Guild: Bought used off of Craigslist this week.
    Year & specific model: 2011 GAD-25
    Purchased new or used: used (barely, as had been bought new in Jan. '12)
    Price paid: $300

Build quality 10
    Looks 10
    Projection 10
    Bass 9
    Mids 9
    Highs 9
    Sustain 10
    Playability/comfort 9
    Dependability we'll see...
    Fingerstyle good
    Flatpick excellent
    Strum excellent

Condition (Mint/Excellent/Good/Fair/Poor): Excellent

Favorite Strings (one selection only): will put Elixirs (medium lights) on when original strings need a change.

Would you buy another if lost/sold: yes

Overall Assessment: super quality for short money

Most Appreciated Characteristic: looks and intonation.
    Least Appreciated: pungent mahogany smell!
    Favorite GAD Series Guitar Story/Moment: picking it first time sitting on a rest-stop bench in the shade on a sunny day!

Other observations/comments: This plays and sounds like a Guild should!
    http://acousticpickers.blogspot.com
    "The Pursuit of Vintage and Other Lonely Acoustic Guitars"
    1981 Guild D-25M
    1999 Guild F-47RCE
    2001 Guild F-47RCE
    2007/08 Guild CV-2C
    2011 Guild GAD-25

2006 Martin Custom D
    2002 Martin 000-1
    1979 Yamaha FG-335