Resistor identification

Pwal

Reaction score
Hi guys,

I got an Epiphone Valve Jr head last summer, and I've finally decided to mod it. I know how to solder as I do work on my guitars electronics, but I'm pretty noob when it comes to resistors and capacitors. So, I want to change a few resistors in my amp, but I'm not sure what kind to use. I got some 1/4 W 5% resistors, but they're smaller than the ones in the amp. Should I get 1 W resistors? My board looks like this.
Epi2.jpg

It's my first attempt at amp modding. I did the "jumpy" mod (cut the JP1 jumper) and soldered each end to a switch. This way I get a "bright/gain boost", and I love it. I'm starting to see the potential of this little amp.

Anyway, thanks for your help!

J-F

capnjuan

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
Hi JF; all those small resistors on the left side of your pic are in the audio chain and need to be no less than 1/2 watt but need not be any larger.

All those larger blue-body resistors on the right are in the power supply and they are all 1 watt; nothing less that 1 watt there. Good luck with your project.

frankieb

Reaction score
Pwal, try checking out Sewatt.com. There is an endless amount of Valve Jr mods there with lots of tips. There is a very dedicated group of folks there dedicated to these little gems :D Here is a couple pics of a Valve Jr I turned into a clone of '59 Tweed Deluxe circuit awhile back:

tweed2.jpg

tweed1.jpg

100_0652.jpg

Pwal

Reaction score
Wow! That's impressive frankie! I picked up the Marshall mod schematics on sewatt, but I may end up doing only the basic mod for a start. I'm afraid to have too much gain with the Marshall mod.