Old Car Thread

Scratch

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
The midget spent more time in a Fort Walton Beach, FL. repair garage than it did in my driveway. I had a roll bar welded on (you can see it in the photo) because I did quite a bit of autocrossing in those days. Never did roll it, but came close. I actually traded it and $400.00 for the MGA in which I kept the driver's door closed with a bungee cord. Never could locate the parts to fix the danged handle... Eventually traded it for a 1972 VW Beetle Convertible. As I was driving it home, the left rear tire & rim departed and passed the car and me on Highway 90. Tow truck got me home. Ahhh, those were the days... Can't find a picture of that VW anywhere.

More pics of the 1967 vette staging at an autocross in Edwardsville Ill, circa 1975. The brown 1966 vette was my project car. It had a blown 396 engine in it and some idiot replaced the original carpet with shag. I dropped a 327 with 80/80 roller in it; Mickey Thompson heads etc. Ran great till a busted tie rod at 60 mph put it into junkyard retirement. Went through a custom van stage too... I bought the Chevy van in Dayton, OH. and sold it for a nice profit when I moved back to South Carolina... Last two are my bar band circa 1976 and road racing at a track in Missouri somewhere around 1973

ChevyVan001.jpg

Scratch

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Dang fellas; I haven't looked in those boxes of old photos for years. What fun going back in time... Wish I had hung onto some of those but I still have fun with my 07 Mustang on these curvy hill country roads. Just have to keep an eye out for the deer!!

twocorgis

Venerated Member
Gold Supporting
Reaction score
Guild Total
Awesome stuff Ken! By comparison I've owned relatively few cars. If I like them I tend to keep them a long time, sometimes too long. I love that '68 GTO, and the Boss 302 is sweet, too!

I have broken down in many varieties of British cars; a Jaguar E-Type, Austin Healy 3000, MGB and Midget, and my late and very unlamented Triumph TR-4a. What was funny is that my mom owned three british Fords (an Anglia and two Cortinas; the last a GT) when I was a kid, and they were pretty good cars. Not so the British Leyland stuff! It always amazed me that a country where it rains so much made cars that didn't like running in the rain. :roll: