DV-73 LTG Member Review

Scratch

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
How long have you owned the DV-73:
Year & specific model:
Purchased new or used:
Price paid:

Owners rate 1 (least appreciated) to 10 (most appreciated) in following categories with comments as desired:

Build quality
Looks
Projection
Bass
Mids
Highs
Sustain
Playability/comfort
Dependability
Fingerstyle
Flatpick
Strum

Condition (Mint/Excellent/Good/Fair/Poor):

Favorite Strings (one selection only):

Would you buy another if lost/sold:

Overall Assessment:

Most Appreciated Characteristic:
Least Appreciated:
Favorite DV-73 Story/Moment:

Other observations/comments:

West R Lee

Venerated Member
Reaction score
A very similar guitar to the DV72, only the inlays differ. I've owned mine for about 4 years and also paid $1995 for it. I personally think it's one of the most beautiful guitars I've ever seen.

I guess the easiest way to evaluate it is to compare it to the DV72. Though sonically and physically they are supposed to be the same guitar, my DV73 is a tad heavier than the 72. The DV73 has an incredibly beautiful tone and plays very nicely. She also has a very nice bass tone, and the treble tones may even be brighter than the DV72.

I would suspect the reason the DV72 is my favorite guitar are subtle differences in setup and there is no doubt the DV73 could be set up identically. Both the DV72 and DV73 have just a bit nicer tone in my view than my D55. I would say the D55 is a better strummer and rhythm guitar, but the DV's are some fine fingerpickers.

West

GardMan

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
DV-73 LTG Member Review

How long have you owned the DV-73: 1 year (since Sept 2012)
Year & specific model: 1995 DV-73 NT HG
Purchased new or used: Used
Price paid: ~$2500

Owners rate 1 (least appreciated) to 10 (most appreciated) in following categories with comments as desired:
Build quality: 10
Looks: 10
Projection: 10
Bass: 9
Mids: 10
Highs: 9
Sustain: 10
Playability/comfort: 10 (a typical full-sized dread with unusual 1-3/4" nut)
Dependability: Not rated
Fingerstyle: 10
Flatpick: Not rated
Strum: 10
Condition (Mint/Excellent/Good/Fair/Poor): Exc. Repaired fingerboard separation and restored NS trim.
Favorite Strings (one selection only): John Pearse Phosphor Bronze lights
Would you buy another if lost/sold: If I could find one I could afford.
Overall Assessment: 9.7

Most Appreciated Characteristic: Good all-around for fingerpicking and strumming. Good clarity and smooth tone. A beautiful guitar.
Least Appreciated: Another heavy one (nearly 6#).

Favorite DV-73 Story/Moment:
Other observations/comments: I've been A/B/Cing with my '76 D-50 and '92 D-55 for the last year. nearly as loud as the 50, but with a smoother, less in-your-face tone. Seems better balanced than the D-55, and the notes have more clarity. I am hard-pressed to say which is "better." They're just different. It has a somewhat unusual 1-3/4" nut. PM'd with Hans Moust, and he has no records of that being a special order... conclusion was that it was a "happy accident." Neck is also chunkier than any of my other Guild dreads.

159346496.jpg

159346497.jpg

Last edited: