DV-72 LTG Member Review

Scratch

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
How long have you owned the DV-72:
Year & specific model:
Purchased new or used:
Price paid:

Owners rate 1 (least appreciated) to 10 (most appreciated) in following categories with comments as desired:

Build quality
Looks
Projection
Bass
Mids
Highs
Sustain
Playability/comfort
Dependability
Fingerstyle
Flatpick
Strum

Condition (Mint/Excellent/Good/Fair/Poor):

Favorite Strings (one selection only):

Would you buy another if lost/sold:

Overall Assessment:

Most Appreciated Characteristic:
Least Appreciated:
Favorite DV-72 Story/Moment:

Other observations/comments:

West R Lee

Venerated Member
Reaction score
I bought her used and have owned her for a bit over 5 years.....paid $1995. When it comes to this one, some would consider my opinion biased, all I can tell you is that of all the guitars I've ever played, to me, this is the easiest playing and best sounding. She's just a masterpiece in my opinion, booming but not overpowering bass, sparkling treble, but just tremedous tone out of every note. She's a very light dreadnaught and oh, so beautiful. I guess she's the finest guitar I've ever personally played, but that's is certainly subjective as I've played some dandies, but always go back to the DV72.

West

West R Lee

Venerated Member
Reaction score
6L6 said:
How about a review of your D-73?

There ya go 6, I stuck a review over there for ya. But you know if you ever have a question or would like pictures of either, just send me a PM.

West

Jeff

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
West R Lee said:
... She's a very light dreadnaught and oh, so beautiful. I guess she's the finest guitar I've ever personally played, but that's is certainly subjective as I've played some dandies, but always go back to the DV72.

West

I've played West's DV72 a couple times, nothing he says of it is exaggeration.

West R Lee

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Jeff said:
West R Lee said:
... She's a very light dreadnaught and oh, so beautiful. I guess she's the finest guitar I've ever personally played, but that's is certainly subjective as I've played some dandies, but always go back to the DV72.

West

I've played West's DV72 a couple times, nothing he says of it is exaggeration.

:) Thank you Jeff........we still need to find you a nice one.

West

taabru45

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
West R Lee said:
I bought her used and have owned her for a bit over 5 years.....paid $1995. When it comes to this one, some would consider my opinion biased, all I can tell you is that of all the guitars I've ever played, to me, this is the easiest playing and best sounding. She's just a masterpiece in my opinion, booming but not overpowering bass, sparkling treble, but just tremedous tone out of every note. She's a very light dreadnaught and oh, so beautiful. I guess she's the finest guitar I've ever personally played, but that's is certainly subjective as I've played some dandies, but always go back to the DV72.

West

You often understate things West..that guitar must be full of magic.... :D :D Steffan

West R Lee

Venerated Member
Reaction score
taabru45 said:
West R Lee said:

West

You often understate things West..that guitar must be full of magic.... :D :D Steffan

Have you ever had one Steff, that when you picked her up, looked at her and strummed a few chords, then just couldn't believe that sound just came out of a piece of wood with steel strings on it? Some guitars really are like magic, the DV72 is that way to me.

West

taabru45

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
You know West One of the nicest guitars was the one that John Kidder got from NY, a D70 I believe, would maybe be in the same class. He has had a lot of cosmetic work done on it and ended up with a jewel. I bought that 79 D50 with the cracks in the top, and as soon as I played it..recognized the familiar voice of my 1st D50 from about 1967, it was Braz, bought new. and foolishly sold by a younger dumber me a couple of years later. It literally shook me. that 'that voice' was recognized like a child crying "Mommy" on a crowded beach, and one mom says, "that's my kid"....I'm having the frets dressed, and a bit of finish work and bone saddle made, and am so looking forward to getting it back, and as you know, I have that gorgeous '09 D50 for sale...its prettier, but the one with the cracks is 'family'...so if it touches your soul....call it your own... :wink: Steffan

GardMan

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
How long have you owned the DV-72: 9 mos (since Oct 2014).
Year & specific model: 1994 DV-72MK NT HG (Malachite inlay)
Purchased new or used: Used
Price paid: $2400

Owners rate 1 (least appreciated) to 10 (most appreciated) in following categories with comments as desired:

Build quality 10
Looks 9.5 (deducted half point for some runout on the soundboard and the rosewood that is not as nicely colored as my DV-73). More understated elegance than the DV-73, with its turquoise and coral...
Projection 10
Bass 10
Mids 10
Highs10
Sustain 10
Playability/comfort 10 (another 1-3/4" nut, but not as chunky as my DV-73
Dependability NA

Fingerstyle 10. Warm, majestic tone...
Flatpick NA
Strum 10. Nicely balanced with deep bass and sparkling mids/trebles

Condition (Mint/Excellent/Good/Fair/Poor): Excellent (Some finish crackling along the treble side neck binding, and I added one small ding in the treble side)

Favorite Strings (one selection only): John Pearse PB lights

Would you buy another if lost/sold: Absolutely (but this is the only one I have seen for sale in 9 years)! Hoping to find a matching turquoise DV-72 someday!

Overall Assessment: 10

Favorite DV-72 Story/Moment: Missed out (to another LTGer) on buying it the first time I saw it for sale, but jumped on it when he listed it on LTG...

Other observations/comments: An all around great guitar... has a somewhat warmer tone with stronger bass than my '95 DV-73. Reminiscent of my (now sold) '92 D-55 (which had similar top bracing, distinct from my other Guild dreads, incl the DV-73). The nicest sounding guitar I have ever played!

159314784.jpg

159314786.jpg

Last edited:

DV-72 NT

Reaction score
My DV-72 NT

How long have you owned the DV-72: Since 2003
Year & specific model: 1994 DV-72 NT
Purchased new or used: Used
Price paid: $740 (I know...)

Build quality 10
Looks 10
Projection 10
Bass [B10
Mids 10
Highs 10
Sustain 10
Playability/comfort 10
Dependability 10
Fingerstyle 10
Flatpick 10
Strum 10

Condition (Mint/Excellent/Good/Fair/Poor): Exc? - Because of some minor bellying up below bridge, previous owner must have let it dry out?

Favorite Strings (one selection only): Have been using Elixir Nanoweb 12's for quite a while, just strung it with Martin SP 12's to try something new.

Would you buy another if lost/sold: Unquestionably! (If I could find one)

Overall Assessment:

Most Appreciated Characteristic: Sound quality - warmth, projection, sounds like a choir of angels. I have tried a lot of Martins and Taylors but none can come CLOSE.
Least Appreciated: The ONLY negative would be the bellying up. But this may be do to neglect from previous owner.
Favorite DV-72 Story/Moment: I took my daughter to piano lessons once a week at a local music store. During the lesson I would drool over this guitar hanging on the show room wall. Low and behold, one day my wife and daughter presented it to me as a gift.

Other observations/comments: I treat this guitar better than I treat myself. If something ever happened to it I would be devastated. The bellying up was present when I got it but since I've been concerned about the problem I took it to a well respected luthier in Eau Claire, WI (2 1/2 hr. drive) to get it checked out. The luthier kept it for a week and told me everything he could think of to try to correct the problem would create another problem. He said to leave it as is and just keep an eye on it for bridge lifting, etc. He also told me most guitar players would kill for action such as my DV-72 NT. I would still like to get the bellying up fixed if at all possible - as long as it wouldn't change any play characteristics. Anybody out there have any suggestions? (Don't feel comfortable shipping my baby - I live in Central WI). By the way, I do keep it humidified religiously of course. No cracks or finish checking.

Last edited: