Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: DV-72 LTG Member Review

DV-72 LTG Member Review

How long have you owned the DV-72:
    Year & specific model:
    Purchased new or used:
    Price paid:

Owners rate 1 (least appreciated) to 10 (most appreciated) in following categories with comments as desired:

Build quality
    Looks
    Projection
    Bass
    Mids
    Highs
    Sustain
    Playability/comfort
    Dependability
    Fingerstyle
    Flatpick
    Strum

Condition (Mint/Excellent/Good/Fair/Poor):

Favorite Strings (one selection only):

Would you buy another if lost/sold:

Overall Assessment:

Most Appreciated Characteristic:
    Least Appreciated:
    Favorite DV-72 Story/Moment:

Other observations/comments:
    Scratch Sends...

'88 JF30-12
    '66 Gibson B25-12
    '08 Little Martin (Maddie's Guitar)
    '10 Santa Cruz OM/PW
    '13 Collings OM2H
    '14 Yamaha LS16

"I'd rather believe in God & die to discover He doesn't exist, than disbelieve and die to find out He does"

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/page_mu ... dID=867145

Re: DV-72 LTG Member Review

I bought her used and have owned her for a bit over 5 years.....paid $1995. When it comes to this one, some would consider my opinion biased, all I can tell you is that of all the guitars I've ever played, to me, this is the easiest playing and best sounding. She's just a masterpiece in my opinion, booming but not overpowering bass, sparkling treble, but just tremedous tone out of every note. She's a very light dreadnaught and oh, so beautiful. I guess she's the finest guitar I've ever personally played, but that's is certainly subjective as I've played some dandies, but always go back to the DV72.

West
    http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default ... nt=widgets

'79 D25
    '89 JF30 12
    '94 DV72
    '95 DV73
    '98 DV52
    '00 D30
    '01 D55
    '13 Collings CJ

How about a review of your D-73?

Quote Originally Posted by 6L6
    How about a review of your D-73?
    There ya go 6, I stuck a review over there for ya. But you know if you ever have a question or would like pictures of either, just send me a PM.

West

'79 D25
    '89 JF30 12
    '94 DV72
    '95 DV73
    '98 DV52
    '00 D30
    '01 D55
    '13 Collings CJ

Quote Originally Posted by West R Lee
    ... She's a very light dreadnaught and oh, so beautiful. I guess she's the finest guitar I've ever personally played, but that's is certainly subjective as I've played some dandies, but always go back to the DV72.

West

I've played West's DV72 a couple times, nothing he says of it is exaggeration.
    "Unless you're the lead dog the view never changes" ....Silver Chief; Dog of the North

F 20 Troubador (57 Sunburst)
    CO1
    GF 60R (Sunburst)
    DV62
    G 37 (Sunburst)
    DC5E
    D25 (Jet Black, "Midnite" out on loan)

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff
    ... She's a very light dreadnaught and oh, so beautiful. I guess she's the finest guitar I've ever personally played, but that's is certainly subjective as I've played some dandies, but always go back to the DV72.

West

I've played West's DV72 a couple times, nothing he says of it is exaggeration.
    :) Thank you Jeff........we still need to find you a nice one.

West

'79 D25
    '89 JF30 12
    '94 DV72
    '95 DV73
    '98 DV52
    '00 D30
    '01 D55
    '13 Collings CJ

I bought her used and have owned her for a bit over 5 years.....paid $1995. When it comes to this one, some would consider my opinion biased, all I can tell you is that of all the guitars I've ever played, to me, this is the easiest playing and best sounding. She's just a masterpiece in my opinion, booming but not overpowering bass, sparkling treble, but just tremedous tone out of every note. She's a very light dreadnaught and oh, so beautiful. I guess she's the finest guitar I've ever personally played, but that's is certainly subjective as I've played some dandies, but always go back to the DV72.

West
    You often understate things West..that guitar must be full of magic.... :D :D Steffan
    Never settle for adversity
    [color=#4040FF]80 Guild F512, 68 Guild 312,72 F112,90 Guild D50,/color...60 something hollow Tiesco
    Peavey preditor USA strat, Dillion thinline tele. 80 Guild G37.. Nylon classical, Oscar Schmidt dulcimer.

Quote Originally Posted by taabru45

West
    You often understate things West..that guitar must be full of magic.... :D :D Steffan
    Have you ever had one Steff, that when you picked her up, looked at her and strummed a few chords, then just couldn't believe that sound just came out of a piece of wood with steel strings on it? Some guitars really are like magic, the DV72 is that way to me.

West

'79 D25
    '89 JF30 12
    '94 DV72
    '95 DV73
    '98 DV52
    '00 D30
    '01 D55
    '13 Collings CJ

You know West One of the nicest guitars was the one that John Kidder got from NY, a D70 I believe, would maybe be in the same class. He has had a lot of cosmetic work done on it and ended up with a jewel. I bought that 79 D50 with the cracks in the top, and as soon as I played it..recognized the familiar voice of my 1st D50 from about 1967, it was Braz, bought new. and foolishly sold by a younger dumber me a couple of years later. It literally shook me. that 'that voice' was recognized like a child crying "Mommy" on a crowded beach, and one mom says, "that's my kid"....I'm having the frets dressed, and a bit of finish work and bone saddle made, and am so looking forward to getting it back, and as you know, I have that gorgeous '09 D50 for sale...its prettier, but the one with the cracks is 'family'...so if it touches your soul....call it your own... Steffan
    Never settle for adversity
    [color=#4040FF]80 Guild F512, 68 Guild 312,72 F112,90 Guild D50,/color...60 something hollow Tiesco
    Peavey preditor USA strat, Dillion thinline tele. 80 Guild G37.. Nylon classical, Oscar Schmidt dulcimer.

How long have you owned the DV-72: 9 mos (since Oct 2014).
    Year & specific model: 1994 DV-72MK NT HG (Malachite inlay)
    Purchased new or used: Used
    Price paid: $2400

Owners rate 1 (least appreciated) to 10 (most appreciated) in following categories with comments as desired:

Build quality 10
    Looks 9.5 (deducted half point for some runout on the soundboard and the rosewood that is not as nicely colored as my DV-73). More understated elegance than the DV-73, with its turquoise and coral...
    Projection 10
    Bass 10
    Mids 10
    Highs10
    Sustain 10
    Playability/comfort 10 (another 1-3/4" nut, but not as chunky as my DV-73
    Dependability NA

Fingerstyle 10. Warm, majestic tone...
    Flatpick NA
    Strum 10. Nicely balanced with deep bass and sparkling mids/trebles

Condition (Mint/Excellent/Good/Fair/Poor): Excellent (Some finish crackling along the treble side neck binding, and I added one small ding in the treble side)

Favorite Strings (one selection only): John Pearse PB lights

Would you buy another if lost/sold: Absolutely (but this is the only one I have seen for sale in 9 years)! Hoping to find a matching turquoise DV-72 someday!

Overall Assessment: 10

Favorite DV-72 Story/Moment: Missed out (to another LTGer) on buying it the first time I saw it for sale, but jumped on it when he listed it on LTG...

Other observations/comments: An all around great guitar... has a somewhat warmer tone with stronger bass than my '95 DV-73. Reminiscent of my (now sold) '92 D-55 (which had similar top bracing, distinct from my other Guild dreads, incl the DV-73). The nicest sounding guitar I have ever played!

Last edited by GardMan; 07-24-2015 at 04:11 AM.
    Dave

'72 D-35 (Jan '73)
    '81 D-46NT (Oct '07)
    '94 DV-72NT (turquoise; Jan '16)
    '94 DV-72NT MK (malachite; Oct '14)
    '95 DV-73 NT HG (Aug '12)
    Gone but not forgotten
    '71 D-44NT (2008-2015)
    '74 G-37Bld (2006-2015)
    '74 D-25M (2006-2015)
    '76 D-50NT (2009-2016)
    '78 D-35 (1986-2007)
    '92 D-55 (2007-2014)

All my Guilds, past and present (pics)...
    My Soundclick! page...