D-60 LTG Member Review

Scratch

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
How long have you owned the D-60:
Year & specific model:
Purchased new or used:
Price paid:

Owners rate 1 (least appreciated) to 10 (most appreciated) in following categories with comments as desired:

Build quality
Looks
Projection
Bass
Mids
Highs
Sustain
Playability/comfort
Dependability
Fingerstyle
Flatpick
Strum

Condition (Mint/Excellent/Good/Fair/Poor):

Favorite Strings (one selection only):

Would you buy another if lost/sold:

Overall Assessment:

Most Appreciated Characteristic:
Least Appreciated:
Favorite D-60 Story/Moment:

Other observations/comments:

walrus

Reverential Member
Gold Supporting
Reaction score
I'm going to put a review of my 1984 D-64 in here, as it is pretty close to a D-60, and rare enough that it is not worth creating it's own "review section".

How long have you owned the D-64: 26 years
Year & specific model: 1984 D-64 co-designed by G. Gruhn
Purchased new or used: new, but with a small repaired crack that is still stable
Price paid: $650, because of the crack, and a non-original case - a steal!!!

Owners rate 1 (least appreciated) to 10 (most appreciated) in following categories with comments as desired:

Build quality 10
Looks 10 - love the "diamond" inlays
Projection 10 - a cannon
Bass 10
Mids 10
Highs 10
Sustain 10
Playability/comfort 10 - nice narrow neck
Dependability 10
Fingerstyle N/A - very rarely play this way, when I do, it's not good enough to judge the guitar by!
Flatpick 10 - a blast to solo on
Strum 10

Condition (Mint/Excellent/Good/Fair/Poor): Good - up close you can see a lot of nicks and scratches, pickguard pretty worn, had it refretted, the bridge reglued, new nut, new saddle

Favorite Strings (one selection only): D'Addario EXP 16's (Light)

Would you buy another if lost/sold: No question, the problem is I will never find one! There were only 193 made, mine is the 6th.

Overall Assessment: I love it - I bought it in '84 because I could not believe how it sounded, I had no idea of it's value or rarity at the time. If anything, it sounds even better now as it has opened up from 26 years of constant use.

Most Appreciated Characteristic: the sound, very loud and clear

Least Appreciated: N/A

Favorite D-64 Story/Moment: When I joined LTG in 2006, and realized how rare the guitar was, that was pretty cool. I communicated with Hans, found out about Gruhn's involvement, etc. It was really fun to find out so much about the guitar that I had been playing for so long.

Other observations/comments: I am continually getting compliments on the guitar, particularly how it sounds. I put a K & K under saddle pickup in it, and it really sounds nice through a PA or amp. As stated above, it was pure luck that I bought this particular guitar, I would be *extremely* upset if anything ever happened to it.

If anyone's interested, here is a thread that includes some photos:

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=6542&hilit=D+64+photos

marcellis

Reaction score
How long have you owned the D-60: 3 years
Year & specific model: 1988 Walker
Purchased new or used: used
Price paid: $1150

Build quality: (N/A It was a wreck when I bought it.)
Looks: 7
Projection: 10
Bass: 10
Mids: 10
Highs: 10
Sustain: 10
Playability/comfort: 9
Dependability: It was a wreck when I bought it. I sank a lot of money into it fixing it up.

Fingerstyle: 9

Flatpick: 9

Strum: 9

Condition (Mint/Excellent/Good/Fair/Poor): Today good. When I bought it, poor.

Favorite Strings (one selection only): Nano 12's

Would you buy another if lost/sold: No.

Overall Assessment: I shouldn't have bought this guitar. It does not fit my style of playing. But I am liking the sound a lot these days.

Most Appreciated Characteristic: the tone
Least Appreciated: none
Favorite D-60 Story/Moment:

Other observations/comments:

Reaction score
Picked up a 1987 D-60 Walker in 1991 from a dealer who clearly didn't know what it was... $150 with case! I have LOVED this instrument since I first played it, but just recently learned how vintage it is. Here's my take:
How long have you owned the D-60: 21 years
Year & specific model: 1987 Walker
Purchased new or used: used
Price paid: $150

Build quality:10- A little unkempt when i bought it, but it cleaned up nicely
Looks: 10
Projection: 10
Bass: 10 -
Mids: 10
Highs: 10
Sustain: 10
Playability/comfort: 9- The dreadnought size is a little big for my slightly short arms.
Dependability: 10- I had it set up and cleaned up when I bought it, never a moment's problem since.
Fingerstyle: 10

Flatpick: N/A - I seldom play in this style

Strum: 10-I love the sound of Guild guitars...not too much bass, but a dark, woody sound..no Martin can compare

Condition (Mint/Excellent/Good/Fair/Poor): Good- some dings and scratches on the top, light scratching on the pick guard

Favorite Strings (one selection only): D'Addario EXP coated 80/20 bronze

Would you buy another if lost/sold: YES, though I probably couldn't find another, as I understand only about 300 were ever made. I will pass it on to my son with great pleasure!

Overall Assessment: An amazing instrument, visually and aurally beautiful
Most Appreciated Characteristic: the tone, as noted above. No other brand is voiced like Guild guitars, and my D-60 almost sings by itself
Least Appreciated: none
Favorite D-60 Story/Moment: Finding it in the shop and bringing it home for such a bargain price.