killdeer43 said:
The Seahawks are in San Francisco and there IS a game going on,
but the 'hawks aren't in it. Different kind of collapse altogether. :shock:

Joe

That was the Packers today too. Glad we could help the Lions fans out. :lol:

chazmo

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Man, that was something, noWii... They were showing the footage of that during the New England / Chicago game, which I was watching. Ouch! Glad that didn't happen during the game!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1

fronobulax

Bassist, GAD and the Hot Mess Mods
Reaction score
Guild Total
Given the way the 'Skins game turned out today, kind of make me wish for a covered stadium and snow.

Thanks for the link.

capnjuan

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
The Guilds of Grot said:
Talk about collapse!

<Jets fan :( >

Thanks for the gift!

<'Fins fan :eek: >

Thunderface

Reaction score
17.5 inches of snow and heavy winds can do this to a fabric-roof covered stadium.

http://search.espn.go.com/metrodome/

It does look weird to see the Dome without its roof.
Dome4.jpg

capnjuan

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
Bad stuff ok but somebody's liability insurance just went at-risk. Surprise surprise ... snows in Minnesota does it? and in December too? Who would have thought? Can you imagine that collapsing during a game dumping tons of ice and snow on spectators? Jumping Jehosaphat :shock: :shock: :shock:

Thunderface

Reaction score
They keep making a point about the snowfall, but it was the combination of the snowfall and the heavy winds that brought it down. This was only the 8th largest snowfall on record. The Dome's roof withstood the Halloween Blizzard of '91 with its 28.7 inches of snow.

Either way, it's "crank up the new stadium talk" again, for better or worse.

capnjuan

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
Thunderface said:
They keep making a point about the snowfall, but it was the combination of the snowfall and the heavy winds that brought it down. This was only the 8th largest snowfall on record. Either way, it's "crank up the new stadium talk" again, for better or worse.
Okay; but there had to have been some kind of snow-melt or snow/ice mitigation system ... I get the part about the wind ... get a hole ... you have air moving under the membrane which turns the membrane into a wing but if the roof is loaded with ice/snow, how do you get lift?

Anyway Wilfie had to have sunk as much money annually into assuring the integrity of that roof ... as he spent on #4 but he came without a guarantee. I'm just glad nobody got hurt. There's always hell to pay in these deals. Wiifie might have had Business Interruption coverage but I promise you there's subrogation everywhere there's coverage. The rule is: "Any port in a storm"

Q: "Excuse me sir but does your firm vacuum the dome on a contract basis?"
A: "Yes we do ... for the last 5 years ... we're very proud of that"
Q: "Well ... could I please have copy of your current Insurance Certificate ... and the title to you car ... and the ... "

chazmo

Super Moderator
Reaction score
A friend of mine and I were discussing whether positive air pressure inside the dome could counteract the weight of snow. How much would be necessary, and would it be difficult to pressurize the dome... Maybe that's not feasible for something so big, but I don't know. Sounds like a relatively simple solution for a flexible roof... I'm sure it's brain-damaged in some way.

capnjuan

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
Chazmo said:
A friend of mine and I were discussing whether positive air pressure inside the dome could counteract the weight of snow. How much would be necessary, and would it be difficult to pressurize the dome... Maybe that's not feasible for something so big, but I don't know. Sounds like a relatively simple solution for a flexible roof... I'm sure it's brain-damaged in some way.
I think you're headed in the right direction. A hole would allow the air to escape, the roof to de-pressurize, and deflate ... what a mess ...

West R Lee

Venerated Member
Reaction score
On an NFL related note, we lost Dandy Don this week.....my childhood hero. My gosh at the personality he and Howard Cosell brought to Monday Night Football. We'll miss you #17.

West

baldgit

Reaction score
West R Lee said:
On an NFL related note, we lost Dandy Don this week.....my childhood hero. My gosh at the personality he and Howard Cosell brought to Monday Night Football. We'll miss you #17.

West
Rest in Peace ....Dandy Don...he turned alot of people on to football on Monday nights..and died much too young.....