D-4 LTG Member Review

Scratch

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
How long have you owned the D-4:
Year & specific model:
Purchased new or used:
Price paid:

Owners rate 1 (least appreciated) to 10 (most appreciated) in following categories with comments as desired:

Build quality
Looks
Projection
Bass
Mids
Highs
Sustain
Playability/comfort
Dependability
Fingerstyle
Flatpick
Strum

Condition (Mint/Excellent/Good/Fair/Poor):

Favorite Strings (one selection only):

Would you buy another if lost/sold:

Overall Assessment:

Most Appreciated Characteristic:
Least Appreciated:
Favorite D-4 Story/Moment:

Other observations/comments:

Reaction score
How long have you owned the D-4: 7 years, on and off
Year & specific model: 2000 D4
Purchased new or used: New
Price paid: $600-ish

Owners rate 1 (least appreciated) to 10 (most appreciated) in following categories with comments as desired:

Build quality 7
Looks 7
Projection 8
Bass 6
Mids 8
Highs 9
Sustain 8
Playability/comfort Neck 7, body 5--it's just so darned deep
Dependability 10
Fingerstyle 6--string spacing makes this a bit tougher than on my GAD-30R
Flatpick 6--Wish it had a touch more bass
Strum 9--This is the guitar's happy place

Condition (Mint/Excellent/Good/Fair/Poor): Good+

Favorite Strings (one selection only): Pearse 80/20 Lights

Would you buy another if lost/sold: I bought, sold, and re-bought this guitar. In the interim, I bought ANOTHER D4 off CL that had some issues and I never really bonded with it.

Overall Assessment: My first American-made acoustic. While there are better guitars out there, this one's a keeper. I don't worry too much about bashing it into stuff, so I actually leave the house with it!

Most Appreciated Characteristic: The neck, the way it sounds with 3-day old strings on it
Least Appreciated: Body depth
Favorite D-4 Story/Moment: About a month ago, I finally had a pro setup done (I'd attempted one myself with mixed results). When I got it home and strummed an E chord, I just about jumped in surprise--it sounded lush, almost like it was running through a chorus pedal. Plays like butter now, and is dead-on in tune up and down the neck. Perfect.

Other observations/comments: If I ever have a spare $300 or so burning a hole in my pocket, I might talk to a luthier about shaving the braces in the D-4 to coax a bit more bass out of her. Not looking for D-28 depth, but a bit more "growl" would be nice.

Reaction score
:D 1996 D-4 12 String. Owned since 1996, has Fishman 9V active installed. Price $750.00. Main gigging guitar, this thing is a Panzer! Everyone loves the sound. It can be tempermental and either stay in tune a whole 2 hour gig or go out in a few places every few songs, mainly the B strings. I blame this on my playing style rather than the guitar. Overall, I would not trade it in for anything! You can see it/hear at at my web page. Thanks, Glengtr3 www.myspace.com/glenmurschel

Sperry

Reaction score
In the last 30 days I purchased two D4's from different sellers. A 2000 and a 1996.

The 2000 was the first quality guitar I'd ever bought; naturally, I was amazed at the power and depth of the instrument. The 2000 had binding front and back and a "True American" truss rod cover.

Then, ten days later, came along the 1996. No rear binding, plain TRC. It was cleaned and restrung (Martin SP Light, and differences became immediately apparent. Far superior quality of tone. Much much greater projection. The depth of intonation fails my limited vocabulary. The '96's top is darker, and without the rear binding, it looks a little cheaper. But all that is forgotten when one plays it.

The sellers of the 2000/1996 D4's wanted $395 & $500. The 2000 needed a repair, cleaning, adjustment, and strings. The 1996 wanted deep cleaning, adjustment, and strings.

The 2000 has been resold for $450. If I were to sell the 1996, I'd want a whole bunch of crisp Yankee dollars.

Last edited:

D30Man

Reaction score
Guild Total
How long have you owned the D-4: Bought it in 2011 sold it in 2014
Year & specific model: 1994 D-4NT Westerly
Purchased new or used: Used
Price paid: $350 w/ hard shell on Craigslist

Build quality 10
Looks 6
Projection 10
Bass 8
Mids 9
Highs 6
Sustain 9
Playability/comfort 9.5
Dependability 10
Fingerstyle 7.5
Flatpick 9
Strum 8.5

Condition (Mint/Excellent/Good/Fair/Poor): Good... Someone had painted to the top previously and seller had to try and re-finish it.. Not a great job but considering what they had to work with...

Favorite Strings (one selection only): Martin Marquis Lights

Would you buy another if lost/sold: I sold it on Craigslist to get some xmas money.. I had two other Guilds so it didn't bother me so much.. I regret it now.. That thing was a beast and was my first US built Guitar... I also had a K&K pure mini in there and it served me quite well on the gig..

Overall Assessment: Damn fine guitar for the money... You can find plenty of mid 90's Westetly D-4's for $500 and under and they are really a high quality buy.. This was my first Guild and it was the one that made take a longer look at the Guild brand which led to my owning three more..

Most Appreciated Characteristic: The arched back for projection ( neck is really nice too - very comfortable and easy play )
Least Appreciated: Kind of plain jane in appearance
Favorite D-4 Story/Moment: When I realized a new musical friend owned the D-4 two sellers before it got to me.. And that he was the one who re-surfaced it.. Very wild.. We were in his house and about to jam together for the first time and I pulled the d4 out.. He just stared for a minute, looked at me and said... Hey I re-finished that... that was mine...

Other observations/comments: I would recommend to anyone on a tight budget looking to make their first step into a good US guitar to look at these.. Grab one on CL or Ebay.. At least on CL you can actually play it first... Throw a K&K in there and put it to the test.. Great guits for the money!!!!

PreacherBob

Reaction score
Guild Total
How long have you owned the D-4: Sept. 2022
Year & specific model: 1995 D4-12
Purchased new or used: used
Price paid: $500

Build quality 10 Lots of nice bearclaw in the top
Looks 10
Projection 8
Bass 8
Mids 10
Highs 9
Sustain 8
Playability/comfort 9
Dependability 10
Fingerstyle 8
Flatpick 8
Strum 9

Condition (Mint/Excellent/Good/Fair/Poor): mint

Favorite Strings (one selection only): D’Addario EJ38

Would you buy another if lost/sold: No, It was my beginner

Overall Assessment: Great entry for those learning 12 string, very light, great Bang for the buck.

Most Appreciated Characteristic: lightweight
Least Appreciated: not much
Favorite D-4 Story/Moment:

Other observations/comments: With no binding on the back, the exposed edges of the laminate are just sanded smooth and stained, you can almost see the veneers. I think it’s a great, simple look. I’ve moved on with other Guild 12 strings, but I’ll most likely keep this around a spell before passing it on.