Guild Classic (Nylon String) LTG Member Review

Scratch

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
How long have you owned the Guild Classic:
Year & specific model:
Purchased new or used:
Price paid:

Owners rate 1 (least appreciated) to 10 (most appreciated) in following categories with comments as desired:

Build quality
Looks
Projection
Bass
Mids
Highs
Sustain
Playability/comfort
Dependability
Fingerstyle
Flatpick
Strum

Condition (Mint/Excellent/Good/Fair/Poor):

Favorite Strings (one selection only):

Would you buy another if lost/sold:

Overall Assessment:

Most Appreciated Characteristic:
Least Appreciated:
Favorite Guild Classic Story/Moment:

Other observations/comments:

Brad Little

Gold Supporting
Reaction score
Re: Guild Classic (Nylon String) LTG Owner Review

How long have you owned the Guild Classic: 35 years
Year & specific model:1975 Mark V
Purchased new or used: New
Price paid:Traded late 40s Epiphone Zephyr Deluxe Regent even up

Owners rate 1 (least appreciated) to 10 (most appreciated) in following categories with comments as desired:

Build quality 10
Looks 10
Projection 9
Bass 10
Mids 10
Highs 10
Sustain 9
Playability/comfort 8
Dependability 9
Fingerstyle 9
Flatpick NA
Strum NA

Condition (Mint/Excellent/Good/Fair/Poor):Excellent

Favorite Strings (one selection only):Varies

Would you buy another if lost/sold:If the price was right

Overall Assessment: Well made instrument with good materials

Most Appreciated Characteristic: Sound
Least Appreciated: Playability
Favorite Guild Classic Story/Moment:

Other observations/comments:playability would probably be improved with a good setup, but other than sanding down the saddle, I'm not sure what to do without a truss rod. Since for much of its life I played classical more than any other music, I've resisted having it done so I wouldn't have withdrawal symptoms. I'll probably have it done when the Hauser copy I'm having built is done. I had to have the original tuners replaced because they turned on the metal core and the holes in became misaligned, needing the bone to be turned when replacing strings. When I was studying for a classical performance B.Mus. (1980-81), it lost nothing in sound or playability to the Concert Ramirez models owned by others in the program.
Brad

DKB

Reaction score
How long have you owned the Guild Classic: 36 yrs
Year & specific model: Mark II
Purchased new or used: used
Price paid: Can't remember, it wasn't much!

Build quality 10
Looks 8 (plain jane model)
Projection 8 (it's not as loud as some of the major Classical guitars but very good!)
Bass 9
Mids 9
Highs 8
Sustain 8
Playability/comfort 10
Dependability 10
Fingerstyle yes
Flatpick n/a
Strum yes

Condition (Mint/Excellent/Good/Fair/Poor): Excellent

Favorite Strings (one selection only): Savarez High Tension

Would you buy another if lost/sold: yes

Overall Assessment:

Most Appreciated Characteristic: playability (and the fret position markers on the side of the fretboard, thanks Guild!)
Least Appreciated: more projection would be desireable but it is quite good as is.
Favorite Guild Classic Story/Moment: I didn't have a case for it for 24 yrs and it survived!

Other observations/comments: very nice entry level classical style guitar.

Elderguilder

Reaction score
Guild Total
How long have you owned the Guild Classic: Since Christmas 1977 (about 44 years!)
Year & specific model: 1977 Mark II satin finish s/n 167894
Purchased new or used: New
Price paid: Receipt says "Balance Due: $251.60, And Received: $251.60; which I used to think meant it only cost $251.60 but on recent reflection must really mean I put it on layaway then paid the last 1/2 when I picked it up. It would be hard to believe that Herb David Guitar Studio in Ann Arbor would have sold it for $250 when the list price was $315, plus the nice plush hardshell case came with it, the price sheet says cost was $105 for that!

Owners rate 1 (least appreciated) to 10 (most appreciated) in the following categories with comments as desired: 10

Build quality 10
Looks 10 (IMHO)
Projection 8
Bass 10
Mids 8
Highs 7
Sustain 10
Playability/comfort 10
Dependability 10
Fingerstyle Travis, and now classical picking
Flatpick : used to.
Strum: sure it does

Condition (Mint/Excellent/Good/Fair/Poor): Excellent

Favorite Strings (one selection only): D'Addario Pro-Arte Normal Tension EJ45-3D

Would you buy another if lost/sold: if I had the extra money, yes. Sure would miss it if it were gone!

Overall Assessment: I play it a lot since the first of the year but it lay fallow for decades I'm ashamed to say.

Most Appreciated Characteristic: love the sustain, and the tone, especially at this age of the instrument.
Least Appreciated: string height seems high even when measuring the "standard" height. I've sanded down the bridge but even then seems like too far to go to fret strings particularly in the middle (lengthwise) of the fretboard.

Favorite Guild Classic Story/Moment: Can't really remember, but I took it to college (Bryan College, Dayton TN) and had played it a lot then. But love the pic of the attentive cat.
And the nut seems too soft as a couple wound strings leave an impression in the groove so when tuning sometimes, ya get that snap as the wound jumps the impression. Sanding hasn't helped, A harder nut (bone, not ivory???) would help I think.

Other observations/comments: above
Herb David reciept Guild Mark II guitar.png1978cat-john.jpg

Guild_Mark_II_photo.jpg

Last edited: