F-40 LTG Member Review

Scratch

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
How long have you owned the F-40:
Year & specific model:
Purchased new or used:
Price paid:

Owners rate 1 (least appreciated) to 10 (most appreciated) in following categories with comments as desired:

Build quality
Looks
Projection
Bass
Mids
Highs
Sustain
Playability/comfort
Dependability
Fingerstyle
Flatpick
Strum

Condition (Mint/Excellent/Good/Fair/Poor):

Favorite Strings (one selection only):

Would you buy another if lost/sold:

Overall Assessment:

Most Appreciated Characteristic:
Least Appreciated:
Favorite F-40 Story/Moment:

Other observations/comments:

jgwoods

Reaction score
Re: F-40 LTG Owner Review

Guild GSR F-40
owned it about 5 months
made November 2009, sat unbought until I got it -new
price- very good

Build quality- 10 exceptional- I see no makers flaws at all.
Looks- 9 beautiful. I wish it had a back strip on the body but it doesn't - oh well. It has almost the right amount of bling- nice binding and rosette etc. clearly "high end" yet understated.
Projection - 8 I find the Grand Orchestra size to be perfect. Dreadnought power with a more comfortable body size and shape. The 30 series lacks in this area to me. It may break in to have more projection- its seems to be going that way.
Bass, Mids, Highs- 9 very balanced. more bass than an F-30, probabaly a little less than a D-40 or D-50 but not much less, maybe the same.
Sustain- 8(?)seems uh, normal
Playablility/comfort-10 Deep bodies- like D series, 47 series, bother my shoulder, F-30 lacks power, F-40 is ideal to me with 16" lower bout, 4 and 1/8" body depth, big yet feels small.
Dependability - time will tell
Fingerstyle - 9 love it. I guess I might want a 1 3/4 neck but I am adapting
Flatpick- 9 mainly what I do- excellent- perfect string spacing, power to hang with the band and be heard. why not a 10? (because it's not a Martin D-18)
Strum- 8 fine

Condition (Mint/Excellent/Good/Fair/Poor): Remains pretty much like new- hasn't left the house but twice

Favorite Strings (one selection only): Haven't changed'em yet. The factory ones are fine

Would you buy another if lost/sold: Probabaly not. I would get a F-40 traditional with an Adi top and mahogany back and sides- just my preferred wood combo. I love the cocobolo and Carpathian but I think the Adi/hog might punch through a little better and be more "fundamental"

Overall Assessment: Nearly excellent.

Most Appreciated Characteristic: Body shape and performance
Least Appreciated: Darn it's heavy! just like a lot of Guilds- probably last forever.
Favorite F-40 Story/Moment: none yet really.

Other observations/comments: There's not a lot of New Hartford Guilds out there and only time will tell their true excellence, or not. I think they are making jewels there and would happily buy another NH guitar.

Brad Little

Gold Supporting
Reaction score
Re: F-40 LTG Owner Review

How long have you owned the F-40:About 2 months
Year & specific model: 2007, Sunburst with DTar
Purchased new or used:used
Price paid:$xxxx

Owners rate 1 (least appreciated) to 10 (most appreciated) in following categories with comments as desired:

Build quality-10
Looks-10
Projection-9
Bass-9
Mids-9
Highs-9
Sustain-9
Playability/comfort-8, sometimes I think the action is a little high
Dependability-10 (so far)
Fingerstyle-9
Flatpick-9
Strum-9

Condition (Mint/Excellent/Good/Fair/Poor):Excellent

Favorite Strings (one selection only): D'Addario PB

Would you buy another if lost/sold: Not sure

Overall Assessment: Very nice guitar, it's become my go to 6 string since I got it.

Most Appreciated Characteristic:Sound and looks
Least Appreciated: Action
Favorite F-40 Story/Moment: Don't really have one.

Other observations/comments: I put the first ding in the top a recently, not sure when. Makes me realize once again I should play a less favorite guitar after a few beers. It's the only Tacoma made instrument I've ever played, and I think they did a very good job. It seems to be about as neat and nice as my NH 512.

kdavid

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
How long have you owned the F-40:since august 2016
Year & specific model:2010 F-40 ATB addie/mahogoney
Purchased new or used:New-nos
Price paid:1450

Build quality 10--cant find a thing out of place. even has a bit of bearclaw on the upper bout (i love that stuff)
Looks 10
Projection 9-its not a dread but the addy top/addy bracing had y wife remarking how 'expressive' she is
Bass 8 (just enough to not overpower my voice)
Mids 9
Highs 10 (sparkling)
Sustain 9
Playability/comfort 10
Dependability 10
Fingerstyle 9-very comfortable for 1 11/16"
Flatpick 9 works well with my efforts
Strum 10

Condition (Mint/Excellent/Good/Fair/Poor): arrived as mint & ive been playing out at church & with a friend & its still almost new HOWEVER-as with nitro finished necks i had to degloss the neck. my sweaty hand sticks otherwise

Favorite Strings (one selection only): Ernie Ball Paradigim pb med-lts (.12's) had them on for almost a month now & theyre still sounding good

Would you buy another if lost/sold: if i couuld fnd one

Overall Assessment: wonderful instrument & glad it finally found me

Most Appreciated Characteristic: she does have many voices
Least Appreciated: the D-tar makes her a bit heavy
Favorite F-40 Story/Moment: i let my wife unpack her as i was still recovering in calif. she sent pictures saying she wanted to name her :)

Other observations/comments: the ATB burst is gorgous

Last edited: