Thread: F-30 LTG Member Review

F-30 LTG Member Review

How long have you owned the F-30: Westerly model is on my wish list...
    Year & specific model:
    Purchased new or used:
    Price paid:

Owners rate 1 (least appreciated) to 10 (most appreciated) in following categories with comments as desired:

Build quality
    Looks
    Projection
    Bass
    Mids
    Highs
    Sustain
    Playability/comfort
    Dependability
    Fingerstyle
    Flatpick
    Strum

Condition (Mint/Excellent/Good/Fair/Poor):

Favorite Strings (one selection only):

Would you buy another if lost/sold:

Overall Assessment:

Most Appreciated Characteristic:
    Least Appreciated:
    Favorite F-30 Story/Moment:

Other observations/comments:
    Scratch Sends...

'88 JF30-12
    '66 Gibson B25-12
    '08 Little Martin (Maddie's Guitar)
    '10 Santa Cruz OM/PW
    '13 Collings OM2H
    '14 Yamaha LS16

"I'd rather believe in God & die to discover He doesn't exist, than disbelieve and die to find out He does"

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/page_mu ... dID=867145

Re: F-30 LTG Owner Review

How long have you owned the F-30: Almost two years
    Year & specific model: 2001 F30R
    Purchased new or used: Used
    Price paid: $850

Owners rate 1 (least appreciated) to 10 (most appreciated) in following categories with comments as desired:

Build quality 9 -- It's heavy, heavier than my Tacoma D-40, and I don't think the pickup and battery can account for the weight.
    Looks 8 I don't particularly like the looks of the volume and tone knobs, mounted on the side of the upper bout, but I don't really care, that wasn't an important factor in my decision to buy
    Projection 9 -- for its size. It doesn't project like my D-40 or F212, but, duh.
    Bass 10 -- love the sound of rosewood
    Mids 10
    Highs 10
    Sustain 9 -- see comment on projection
    Playability/comfort 10
    Dependability10
    Fingerstyle 10
    Flatpick 10
    Strum 10

Condition (Mint/Excellent/Good/Fair/Poor):Good. Has a repaired crack in the top. Only reason it cost so little. I don't hear a crack when I play.

Favorite Strings (one selection only): Pearse 80/20 Lights

Would you buy another if lost/sold: In a heartbeat -- if I could find one. I like the short scale, and Guild isn't making them with the short scale. Westerly models aren't easy to find. I might have to go to a Martin 000-18 if I lost the F30.

Overall Assessment: Since I got it, the D-40 and F212 have been terribly neglected. I love this guitar, play it all the time.

Least Appreciated:

Other observations/comments: One of my main reasons for pursuing this model is that it has a short scale, and, I think, a 1 11/15" nut.. I'm 5'6", first thing in the morning, shorter by the end of the day, so I don't have big hands or real long fingers. This guitar is great to play. I play country blues (John Hurt, Libbie Cotten, Gary Davis, etc) and the short scale has a nice sound for that style. It also does more than hold its own when plugged in and strummed for open mic nights, etc.
    2001 F30R
    2012 Martin 0-12
    Martin Backpacker
    Fender Mustang
    Nameless Banjo of indeterminate age

How long have you owned the F-30: I have owned my F30 for ~5 months.
    Year & specific model: 1998, F30 NT
    Price paid: $550

Owners rate 1 (least appreciated) to 10 (most appreciated) in following categories with comments as desired:9

Build quality: 10, heavy for size and very sturdy
    Looks: 8, simple and not overstated. The unique graining on the spruce top adds character.
    Projection: 7, Not as loud as my normal scale (25.5’) guitars of similar size.
    Bass:10
    Mids: 10, Emphasized thanks to mahogany b/s
    Highs:10
    Sustain:
    Playability/comfort: 10, Thick neck gives something to hold onto and small OM size allow for playing everywhere
    Dependability: 10
    Fingerstyle: 10
    Flatpick: don’t really do much of that.
    Strum: 7, The short scale puts less tension on the strings making it difficult for heavy strumming.

Condition (Mint/Excellent/Good/Fair/Poor): Excellent condition, no finish checking either

Favorite Strings (one selection only): DR 80/20 Lights (EDIT: I now use GHS Bright Bronze Lights...See below for intonation issue)

Would you buy another if lost/sold: Yes, but as Dogberry said, the short scale is a plus and will be difficult to find as the new ones are normal scale.

Overall Assessment: Great small guitar for fingerpicking. I wanted a small spruce/hog OM/000 size guitar for general all around playing. I played several 000-18s and they just didn't possess the character I wanted. The Guild tone in my mind is just so smooth and pleasing to the ears. My F30 possesses that quality. It is not too overpowering in projection which is a plus for singing/playing, and it picks up great on a microphone for recording. Overall it is a great all purpose guitar especially for fingerpicking the blues. It is my desert island Guitar.

Most Appreciated Characteristic: Smooth even hog/twangy tone from a guitar that is as comfortable as it is easy to play.
    Least Appreciated: It could project a little more.
    Favorite F-30 Story/Moment: The F30 is the guitar that got me interested in Guild. It was mainly my interest in John Hurt and early country blues that paved the way for my Guild interest. I went through a few other Guild guitars before I was able to get my dream Guild (with the help of Treem).

Other observations/comments: (EDIT: additional comment (6/29/11)) Since I bought this guitar, I have noticed its strength. It is small with heavy straight braces which, I believe, provides to very good clarity in the bass notes. The guitar does not sound full at all, but when finger picked, you can hear the bass notes just as clear as the hight trebles. All notes ring through with this intense woodiness.

How long have you owned the F-30: 35 years
    Year & specific model: 1975 F-30
    Purchased new or used: New
    Price paid: $325.00 (with case)

Build quality 9
    Looks 8
    Projection 8
    Bass 8
    Mids 10
    Highs 10
    Sustain 9
    Playability/comfort 10
    Dependability 10
    Fingerstyle 10
    Flatpick 8
    Strum 8

Condition (Mint/Excellent/Good/Fair/Poor): Good

Favorite Strings (one selection only): Elixer

Would you buy another if lost/sold: Yes

Overall Assessment: This guitar has been with me since I ordered it from my local muisc store when I was in high school.
    It has been a faithful lifelong companion. I could not imagine life without it. It is a great fingerstyle guitar, but doesn't like to be pushed hard acousiticly (that's what pickups are for). I now keep it tuned in in Open G
    Least Appreciated:
    I played it at a open mic night in the late 1980's and I was asked about my "vintage Guild"
    Other observations/comments:
    Lonesome Picker
    1971 F112, 1975 F30, 1989 GF55, 1971 F412
    Rickenbacker 360-12v64, Gretsch 6122 Country Classic 62, Gretsch 6128TSP Duojet

Intonation issue on an F30. Solution FOUND.

Long story short: I had an intonation issue with my D-string which fretted sharp. I had DR Rares on the guitar and was told about intonation issues with DRs. I changed to GHS PBs of similar gauge and the problem was solved. Here is a link:

viewtopic.php?f=11&t=26298&p=285586#p285586

Re: F-30 LTG Member Review

about 35 yrs f30-nt
    A1-1089
    paid $50.00

How long have you owned the F-30: 1973 (new) 1979 (sold) 2013 (repurchased same guitar)
    Year & specific model: 1972 F-30 NT
    Purchased new or used: new and used
    Price paid: 1973 (new, $300), 2013 (used, $999 + $100 shipping / insurance)

Build quality: 5 (5 means average to me)
    Looks: 10 (I love Guild's "mini jumbo" shape)
    Projection: 5
    Bass: 5
    Mids: 5
    Highs: 5
    Sustain: 5
    Playability/comfort: 7
    Dependability: 5
    Fingerstyle: 5
    Flatpick: (I don't Flatpick)
    Strum: 7

Condition (Mint/Excellent/Good/Fair/Poor): Repurchased in Poor condition

Favorite Strings (one selection only): GHS Bright Bronze, Light Gauge

Would you buy another if lost/sold: Absolutely!

Overall Assessment: It's not the guitar's fault that it was obviously not taken cared of after I first sold it in 1979, but in retrospect, it was probably one of the best guitars I have ever owned. Shame on me for selling it in the first place. It will now be getting all the TLC it needs to bring it back to its former glory. At a bare minimum, this guitar will need a neck reset, and a bridge re-glue.

Most Appreciated Characteristic: Small, "mini jumbo" body shape, with light weight spruce top / mahogany construction.
    Least Appreciated: 3 on plate tuners
    Favorite F-30 Story/Moment: January 2013, when my friend e-mails me to tell me he's stumbled upon my old Guild from high school, sitting as a wall hangar at a local guitar shop on the west coast. How many of us get a second chance at the one that got away? Well it's back home now....

Other observations/comments: As I age (joint pain), I have a much better appreciation of the smaller vintage Guilds such as the F-20's and F-30's. I also have a much better appreciation that the balance and clarity of tone that the spruce top / mahogany back and sides brings to the table. Also, the lack of sustain as compared to it's rosewood sister, is a plus in my book. The lack of sustain adds to the lighter / cleaner / clearer tone that I hear in this guitar.

EDIT: Additional comments 4/15/14 - as originally noted above in the Least Appreciated category in regards to the 3-on-plate tuners, I have to admit that after being reacquainted with these so called "cheap" chrome plated Japanese tuners for over a year now, they have performed admirably well. Yep, some of the tuners seem a really loose when you loosen the tension on the string, but once I tune back up to where I want it, these tuners have held the tune as well as my high end Waverly tuners on my other high end guitars. The chrome plating doesn't hurt either, as anyone who has tried to polish old nickle plated tuners and have ended up taking off the tuners to protect the guitar's finish, can really appreciate chrome plated anything on a guitar. The chrome plated 3-on-plate tuners that were installed these Guild guitars turn out be be some of the nicest designed plate tuners in any case, and have they own sense of "mojo" going for them too.
    Last edited by tommym; 04-15-2014 at 07:26 PM.

How long have you owned the F-30: A couple of years
    Year & specific model: 1973 F-30 NT
    Price paid: $800 + $100 shipping / insurance

Build quality: 5 (5 means average to me)
    Looks: 10 (I love Guild's "mini jumbo" shape)
    Projection: 7
    Bass: 7
    Mids: 7
    Highs: 7
    Sustain: 7
    Playability/comfort: 7
    Dependability: 7
    Fingerstyle: 5

Condition (Mint/Excellent/Good/Fair/Poor): Excellent Plus!

Favorite Strings (one selection only): GHS Bright Bronze, Light Gauge

Would you buy another if lost/sold: No longer. Read the "Other observations/comments" below for more detail.

Overall Assessment: An excellent example of the OM size guitars from Westerly RI. Needs some minor touch-ups here and there, but I couldn't have expected a guitar as close to mint condition as this one. And noticably better sounding than my 1972 F-30 NT, due to the better condition of this guitar. It has much more saddle left on the bridge too. Nice!

Most Appreciated Characteristic: Small, "mini jumbo" body shape, with light weight spruce top / mahogany construction.

Least Appreciated: There is really nothing to dislike about this guitar.

Favorite F-30 Story/Moment: See my previous review of my 1972 F-30 NT for that Story/Moment.

Other observations/comments: I originally bought this guitar as a backup to my prized 1972 F-30. But the onset of finger joint / shoulder pain since then has thrown a wrench in the works. On a hunch, I bought a (NOS) 2011 New Hartford F-30 Standard with a wider 1 3/4" nut and slightly wider string spacing at the bridge, and a slightly shallower body as compared to the deeper bodied 72 and 73 F-30, to hopefully relieve some of my on-going finger / joint pain. And it helped a lot! I have to say that from this day forward, any new / used guitars that I may purchase will be limited to an OM sized guitar (non deep body) with a 1 3/4" nut and wider than 2 1/8" string spacing at the bridge.
    Westerly
    1972 F-30 (purchased new in 1973; my FIRST Guild guitar!), (sold in 1979), (re-purchased this same guitar in 2013)
    1973 F-30

New Hartford
    2011 F-30 Standard
    2011 F-30R Standard

How long have you owned the F-30: About 1 Year
    Year & specific model: 2011 F-30 Standard
    Purchased new or used: New (NOS)
    Price paid: $1,200 + $180 shipping / insurance

Build quality: 10 (5 means average to me)
    Looks: 10
    Projection: 8
    Bass: 8
    Mids: 8
    Highs: 8
    Sustain: 8
    Playability/comfort: 8
    Dependability: too early to tell; no issues yet
    Fingerstyle: 8

Condition (Mint/Excellent/Good/Fair/Poor): Mint

Favorite Strings (one selection only): GHS Vintage Bronze, Light Gauge

Overall Assessment: A very well executed OM sized Mahogany / Sitka guitar with clean and simple appointments.

Most Appreciated Characteristic: This “Standard”, unlike some of the other “Standard” models, comes with a 1 3/4” nut, along with a slightly wider 2 5/32” string spacing.

Least Appreciated:
    There is really nothing to dislike about this guitar.

See my previous review of my 1972 F-30 NT for that Story/Moment.

Other observations/comments: This is the guitar that finally put to rest (for me at least) the Vintage vs. New debate, the Hide Glue vs. Elmer’s Glue debate, etc.. Simple stated this guitar (out of the box), beat my Westerly era F-30’s in the sound, playability, and comfort departments hands down. For me, it wasn’t even close. This New Hartford Guild lived up to the hype that the New Hartford crew was indeed setting the high water mark in quality for Guild Guitars.

Also, The "Standard" series was a work in progress. Guild decided to go with a "satin" finish on this models somewhere down the road. I'm old school and much prefer the gloss body finish that mine comes with as it just looks right.

Tommy
    Westerly
    1972 F-30 (purchased new in 1973; my FIRST Guild guitar!), (sold in 1979), (re-purchased this same guitar in 2013)
    1973 F-30

New Hartford
    2011 F-30 Standard
    2011 F-30R Standard

How long have you owned the F-30: About 1 Year
    Year & specific model: 2011 F-30R Standard
    Purchased new or used: New (NOS)
    Price paid: $1,300 + $100 shipping / insurance

Build quality: 10 (5 means average to me)
    Looks: 8.5 (it's not as nice looking as the Mahogany / Sitka F-30 Standard)
    Projection: 8
    Bass: 8.5
    Mids: 8.5
    Highs: 8.5
    Sustain: 8.5
    Playability/comfort: 8
    Dependability: too early to tell; no issues yet
    Fingerstyle: 8

Condition (Mint/Excellent/Good/Fair/Poor): Mint

Favorite Strings (one selection only): GHS Vintage Bronze, Light Gauge

Overall Assessment: A very well executed OM sized East Indian Rosewood / Sitka guitar with clean and simple appointments.

Most Appreciated Characteristic: This “Standard”, unlike some of the other “Standard” models, comes with a 1 3/4” nut, along with a slightly wider 2 5/32” string spacing.

Least Appreciated:
    There is really nothing to dislike about this guitar.

See my previous review of my 1972 F-30 NT for that Story/Moment.

Other observations/comments: My comments noted in the F-30 Standard review, apply here too. I have to say that of all the F-30 and F-30R guitars that I have owned over the years (Hoboken's, Westerly's, etc.) this New Hartford built F-30R Standard is among the best I have ever play. No doubt it's wider nut and slightly wider string spacing at the bridge are a contributing factor to the ease of playing. AND! I didn't have to wait forty plus years for the tone woods to mature and open up. It sounded GREAT right out of the box. Hopefully, Guild in California, will put these guitars back into U.S. production with the gloss body finish too. Hopefully!

Tommy
    Westerly
    1973 F-30

New Hartford
    2011 F-30 Standard
    2011 F-30R Standard