D-50 LTG Member Review

Scratch

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
How long have you owned the D-50:
Year & specific model:
Purchased new or used:
Price paid:

Owners rate 1 (least appreciated) to 10 (most appreciated) in following categories with comments as desired:

Build quality
Looks
Projection
Bass
Mids
Highs
Sustain
Playability/comfort
Dependability
Fingerstyle
Flatpick
Strum

Condition (Mint/Excellent/Good/Fair/Poor):

Favorite Strings (one selection only):

Would you buy another if lost/sold:

Overall Assessment:

Most Appreciated Characteristic:
Least Appreciated:
Favorite D-50 Story/Moment:

Other observations/comments:

unclemike

Reaction score
Re: D-50 LTG Owner Review

I acquired my D-50 in 1976, new, from the Guitar Center in Santa Monica.

Price paid: I traded a used Gibson Hummingbird w/o case for the Guild and a case. I'd paid $350 for the Hummingbird ,used 5 years earlier.

As has often been said here, I wanted a Martin, but couldn't afford one, so I settled for a Guild. Now over 30 years later I've bought a Martin HD-28 and D-35, both used and a new Taylor 710. I sold the Martins and The Taylor and kept the Guild. Around 1999 I bought a new DV-52 on Ebay as a back-up. I still mostly play the D-50 because I love the sound and am used to the feel. I even like the way it smells. I have always used E 17 med gauge strings.

Owners rate 1 (least appreciated) to 10 (most appreciated) in following categories with comments as desired:

Build quality - 10, built like a tank, the heaviest Guitar I've ever owned, but I don't mind.
Looks - 10 is there anything prettier than a just-polished rosewood guitar?
Projection - 8? when I hear someone else play it, it seems to be louder than what other guitars are being played.
Bass - 8 maybe stronger on the base than I would prefer.
Mids - 9
Highs - 9 not as bright as some other guitars
Sustain - 9
Playability/comfort - 10 I've played it so long it fits like an old shoe.
Dependability - 10 never a crack, never needed any repairs.
Fingerstyle - 10 I mostly fingerpick
Flatpick - ? I don't, but it is a Bluegrass guitar, it should be very good.
Strum - 10 When I'm not fingerpicking, I'm strumming.

Condition (Mint/Excellent/Good/Fair/Poor): Excellent, very few scratches, some wear on the back of the neck under the first 5 frets, from being played a lot. Some belly in the top.

Favorite Strings (one selection only): E 17 med gauge

Would you buy another if lost/sold: In a heartbeat

Overall Assessment: I love this guitar for sound and playability

Most Appreciated Characteristic: Sound
Least Appreciated: None come to mind

Other observations/comments:

Brad Little

Gold Supporting
Reaction score

How long have you owned the D-50: About 18 months
Year & specific model:1991, Natural Top
Purchased new or used: Used
Price paid: $1100 minus trade in (Gibson Chet Atkins CE and Fender nylon hybrid)

Build quality-10
Looks-6
Projection-8
Bass-8
Mids-8
Highs-8
Sustain-9
Playability/comfort-9
Dependability-9
Fingerstyle-6
Flatpick-8
Strum-9

Condition (Mint/Excellent/Good/Fair/Poor):good to excelent

Favorite Strings (one selection only):D'Addario PB

Would you buy another if lost/sold: Maybe, although I'd probably look for a nice D-40 instead

Overall Assessment:Nice guitar, it was my go to six until I got the F-40 this fall. I'll probably get a DTar lock and load installed at some time.

Most Appreciated Characteristic: It's overall sound and playability
Least Appreciated: The fact that my #%*& Taylor wooden guitar stand put dings in the lower bout.

Other observations/comments: Good bang for the buck.

6L6

Reaction score

How long have you owned the D-50: 3 yrs
Year & specific model: 1977 D-50NT
Price paid: $1450

Build quality 9
Looks 9
Projection 8
Bass 7
Mids 8
Highs 8
Sustain 8
Playability/comfort 10
Dependability 10
Fingerstyle 10
Flatpick 10
Strum 10

Condition (Mint/Excellent/Good/Fair/Poor): When I bought this guitar I was not happy with the fact the factory had used a white wood filler on the back and sides. While it was purely as cosmetic problem, I decided to have it remedied. $500 later the guitar was restained by a "pro's pro" and it just looks spectacular. It also opened up the guitar noticably, just as the luthier said it might (thinner lacquer than that applied at the factory). The guitar looks just about Mint condition.

Favorite Strings (one selection only): Light gauge Phosphor Bronze

Would you buy another if lost/sold: No. My '74 D-40 and '06 D-55 fill my Guild six string needs.

Overall Assessment: Beautiful guitar, extremely easy to play.

Most Appreciated Characteristic: Ease of play (pro setup), appearance.
Least Appreciated: Original finish on back and sides showed a lot of white wood filler was used in it's construction.
Favorite D-50 Story/Moment: Nothing comes to mind.

Other observations/comments: Anyone looking at a D-28 Martin owes it to themself to try a D-50 before buying anything else.

Yoko Oh No

Reaction score

I bought this guitar (93 NT) in 2004. Paid $700

Build quality 9.6541
Looks...like a damn nice geetar
Projection....9.011
Bass...10.43
Mids...9.664
Highs...stopped doing that in college
Sustain...9.887
Playability/comfort...when I can get it away from my son...9.50
Dependability...well, that depends
Fingerstyle....sometimes
Flatpick....rarely
Strum....with the back of my nails

Condition (Mint/Excellent/Good/Fair/Poor): Excellent

Favorite Strings (one selection only): I like the G string, although sometimes the B is nice too. Had a falling out with the A string and haven't played it in awhile

Would you buy another if lost/sold: most likely

Overall Assessment: sounded better than the Martin D28 I was comparing it to when I bought it

Most Appreciated Characteristic: it's a chick magnet
Least Appreciated: it's a chick magnet
Favorite D-50 Story/Moment: I was playing my last song...2 am...in a smoky, dimly lit bar....when I looked up...she was alone at a corner table finishing a warm beer...our eyes locked...as I sang the last notes...I got up....walked over to her...asked her her name...."Taylor"...she said...."is that a capo in your pocket or are you just glad to see me".....I don't remember the rest of the story....

Other observations/comments: i don't get too involved with the details...it ain't really about the guitar, but I've got absolutely no complaints with this guitar

killdeer43

Reverential Member
Reaction score

How long have you owned the D-50: 21 years
Year & specific model:1989
Purchased new or used: New
Price paid: Built a set of cabinets for the owner of a local music store and traded my labor charges for the guitar.

d50ii.jpg

Build quality 10
Looks 10
Projection (with new strings) 12
Bass 10
Mids 10
Highs 10
Sustain 10
Playability/comfort 10
Dependability 10
Fingerstyle 10
Flatpick 10
Strum 10

Condition (Mint/Excellent/Good/Fair/Poor): Very good to excellent

Favorite Strings (one selection only): D'Addario EJ17 PB med.

Would you buy another if lost/sold: If I could find another Westerly in good shape and if someone needed kitchen cabinets. 8)

Overall Assessment: Best guitar I've owned, including Martins, Taylors and Gibsons.

Most Appreciated Characteristic: The comfortable feel that probably comes from being together for so long. So easy to play!
Least Appreciated: Can't think of one.
Favorite D-50 Story/Moment: Too many to list here! :wink:

Other observations/comments: Beautiful plain Jane w/o bling, and did I say it's just the best sounding guitar I've ever owned?

Joe

GardMan

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
How long have you owned the D-50: 1 yr
Year & specific model: 1976 D-50NT
Price paid: $1030 w case

Build quality: 10
Looks: 9
Projection: 11; definitely the loudest of my dreads!
Bass: 10
Mids: 9
Highs: 9
Sustain: 10
Playability/comfort: 9 (a typical full-sized dread)
Dependability: Not rated
Fingerstyle: 10
Flatpick: Not rated
Strum: 10
Condition (Mint/Excellent/Good/Fair/Poor): V. Good. Hardly a mark on her... a hairline split between the pinholes has been repaired to invisibility.
Favorite Strings (one selection only): John Pearse Phosphor Bronze light gauge
Would you buy another if lost/sold: Absolutely.
Overall Assessment: 9.7

Most Appreciated Characteristic: A great strummer!
Least Appreciated: Another heavy one, at 5# 14oz!

Other observations/comments:A previous owner shaved her tone bars and X-braces... Don't know if that's responsible for her incredible projection and volume...

159346505.jpg

159346504.jpg

Last edited:

roadbiker

Reaction score
Guild Total
Scratch said:
How long have you owned the D-50: According to the serial number, mine is a 1980. I got it in 1981 as a college graduation gift from my mother. I wanted a Martin, but the guy at the guitar shop (Focuss II in Commack, Long Island) showed me the Guild and after playing it I never even gave the Martin a second thought. Plus, Rhode Island wasn't toooo far from Long Island in case it needed repair.

Year & specific model: 1980 D50 Antique Sunburst

Purchased new or used: New

Price paid: $850, with the case

Build quality: 10. What else??? It is made to be played!

Looks: 10. Of course. It is a beautiful guitar and I will never get rid of it!

Projection: 10. It's awesome, especially with new strings

Bass: 10. It has a deep tone and holds the sound.

Mids: 10.

Highs: 10, esepcially with new strings. It has a very bright sound

Sustain: 10. See "Bass"

Playability/comfort: 10. I have been playing it since 1981 and it fits me like a glove.

Dependability: I have been playing it since 1981. Need I say any more?

Fingerstyle: I am getting better at playing more Lindsey Buckingham style. I also like blues leads

Flatpick: The way I have mostly played over the years, when not...

...Strumming

Condition (Mint/Excellent/Good/Fair/Poor): Excellent. My D50 is in nearly new condition. Very slight wear to the top finish where my arm rests. There are no dents or scratches and the finish is awesome: top, back, sides, and neck. There is some yellowing of the white trim, but that is normal for a guitar of this age and gives it some character. The only "issue" is on the back of the neck in the curve near the body. It happened when I had the frets worked on (from the guys clamp). It really pissed me off, but it has zero effect on the playability or sound, plus it is not noticable unless pointed out.

Favorite Strings (one selection only): I have mostly used Guild Phosphor Bronze (light guage) strings, but now they are hard to come by and I have switched to D'Addario Phosphor Bronze medium guage strings - fantastic strings! I'm going back to light guage strings on my next change.

Would you buy another if lost/sold: Without hesitation. I recently bought an Epiphone Masterbilt acoustic/electric as a second guitar. Nice guitar, but not a Guild. But then, nothing else is a Guild!

Overall Assessment: I love my Guild D50! It is a nice, all solid, well-made and heavy guitar.

Most Appreciated Characteristic: The sound that comes out of the round hole on the top. Also Made in USA.

Least Appreciated: The times when I am not playing it.

Favorite D-50 Story/Moment: My wife likes it when I play for her while she is taking a bath :)

Other observations/comments: When looking for a second acoustic guitar recently, I could not find ANYTHING that came close to my Guild. I hope to buy another "Made in USA" Guild in the near future. I'm really not interested in GAD's or any other Asian-made Guitar. I know - the Epi is made in Asia, but that will go when the next Guild comes. I almost bought a Taylor, but in the $600-$700 price range, the Taylor's are Asian-made and constructed of laminates. I wanted a solid construction, not a laminate guitar and the Epi met my critereia (except the Made in USA one). It sounds surpisingly good (but not a Guild).

Reaction score
Hey all - this is my first post!
My D-50 was purchased at Chuck Levin's in Wheaton, Md 1975
new, pd about $400 as I recall with case

build = 10. basically a tank
looks = 10 plain simple and clean
projection = 9
bass = 10
mids = 8
treble = 8
playability = 9
dependability = 10, mine is all original. take care of it and it will last forever
fingerstyle = very nice
flatpick = 10 made for a flatpick
condition = good to excellent. after 35+ years it has some dings that would have scarred lesser instruments
strings = Martin Marquis
buy another - yes
favorite story - Jorma playing Light of the World on it

this has been a reliable companion over the years and really gotten better with age