D-55 LTG Member Review

Scratch

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
How long have you owned the D-55:
Year & specific model:
Purchased new or used:
Price paid:

Owners rate 1 (least appreciated) to 10 (most appreciated) in following categories with comments as desired:

Build quality
Looks
Projection
Bass
Mids
Highs
Sustain
Playability/comfort
Dependability
Fingerstyle
Flatpick
Strum

Condition (Mint/Excellent/Good/Fair/Poor):

Favorite Strings (one selection only):

Would you buy another if lost/sold:

Overall Assessment:

Most Appreciated Characteristic:
Least Appreciated:
Favorite D-55 Story/Moment:

Other observations/comments:

6L6

Reaction score
Re: D-55 LTG Owner Review

How long have you owned the D-55: 4.5 yrs
Year & specific model: 2006 D-55NT
Purchased new or used: New
Price paid: $2000

Owners rate 1 (least appreciated) to 10 (most appreciated) in following categories with comments as desired:

Build quality 8
Looks 10
Projection 9
Bass 9
Mids 9
Highs 9
Sustain 8
Playability/comfort 10
Dependability 10
Fingerstyle 10
Flatpick 10
Strum 10

Condition (Mint/Excellent/Good/Fair/Poor): excellent+

Favorite Strings (one selection only): Light gauge Phosphor Bronze

Would you buy another if lost/sold: Yes

Overall Assessment: Great guitar. It's my main gigging axe and I've logged a LOT of time on her. I had a Fishman Matrix pup added when I bought it new and that works fine with this guitar into my Fender Acoustasonic Junior DSP amp.

Most Appreciated Characteristic: Looks, easy playability, great sound.
Least Appreciated: This one developed some problems in the finish on top. There are some streaks where I guess the lacquer didn't take right. This is something you should never see in a quality guitar like this, IMO.
Favorite D-55 Story/Moment: As my main gigging axe, this one gets a lot of compliments.

Other observations/comments: With the exception of a couple of small streaks in the top finish, this is just a super instrument. Once again, the Tacoma folks did a superb job!

sunpowder

Reaction score
Re: D-55 LTG Owner Review

How long have you owned the D-55: This one...less than a year.
Year & specific model: April 2008 Tacoma built D-55 Sunburst
Price paid: Very Fair Market Price

Build quality: 9.5
Looks: 10
Projection: 7
Bass: 10
Mids: 10
Highs: 10
BALANCE: 10
SMOOTHNESS: 10
Sustain: 8
Playability/comfort: 9 playability / 5 comfort
Dependability: 9
Fingerstyle: 8.5
Flatpick: 9.5
Strum: 10

Condition (Mint/Excellent/Good/Fair/Poor): Mint

Favorite Strings (one selection only): Light gauge P/B D'addario or DR so far

Would you buy another if lost/sold: Absolutely

Overall Assessment: Magical combo of power and finesse with great balance and a trademark smoothness in tone that I have yet to experience with any other brand or model for that matter. It does a very wide range of things well and feels and looks great. Kind of big and heavy to handle, but worth the effort.

Most Appreciated Characteristic: Tone
Least Appreciated:Size/Weight
Favorite D-55 Story/Moment: When my six year old saw it for the first time and said, "Daddy, that is beautiful!"

Other observations/comments: Get yourself one.

GardMan

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
How long have you owned the D-55: 4 yrs
Year & specific model: 1992 D-55NT
Purchased new or used: Used
Price paid: $1110 w/o case

Build quality: 10
Looks: 10
Projection: 10
Bass: 10
Mids: 9
Highs: 8
Sustain: 10
Playability/comfort: 10 (a typical full-sized dread, with a neck to die for)
Dependability: Not rated
Fingerstyle: 10
Flatpick: Not rated
Strum: 10
Condition (Mint/Excellent/Good/Fair/Poor): V. Good, except for the moderate-severe finish checking she suffered enroute to me.
Favorite Strings (one selection only): John Pearse Phosphor Bronze light gauge
Would you buy another if lost/sold: Yes.
Overall Assessment: 9.7

Most Appreciated Characteristic: Rich, majestic tone, and a great playing neck.
Least Appreciated: Another heavy one (5# 14 oz).

Other observations/comments: Mine has scalloped braces (introduced ~'91?).

G

Unregistered
User deleted by their request
How long have you owned the D-55: 1 month
Year & specific model: 2001 westerly d55 sunburst, fishman agp-2
Purchased new or used: used
Price paid: just right

Build quality 10
Looks 11
Projection 9
Bass 9
Mids 9
Highs 9
Sustain 10
Playability/comfort 10
Dependability 10
Fingerstyle 10
Flatpick 10
Strum 11

Condition (Mint/Excellent/Good/Fair/Poor): excellent
Would you buy another if lost/sold: absolutely
Overall Assessment: finally found my ideal d55. Everything I want in a guitar.
Plays like a dream, but you gotta have the eye candy too and this is a beautiful instrument. Love the factory installed electronics too. Fairly rare option. So clean it doesn't even have a strap peg installed yet. Yummy.
Least Appreciated: huh? Ok...mmmmmm... Maybe there's a little wear on the tuner finish. I guess I also wish I could more easily determine it's build date. It would be nice to have a yearly birthday party.
Favorite D-55 Story/Moment: had this shipped 200 miles in single digit temperatures. I spent a terrified 24 hours before opening the case and found it in perfect condition!

-------------
01 D55
93 Takamine FP350smc sb
58 Hammond B3
62 Hammond M3
08 Yamaha Motif XS8

G

Unregistered
User deleted by their request
How long have you owned the D-55: 2 weeks
Year & specific model: 2009 New Hartford D-55 (Natural finish)
Price paid: $1789

Build quality 10
Looks 10
Projection 10
Bass 10
Mids 10
Highs 10
Sustain 10
Playability/comfort 10
Dependability 10
Fingerstyle 9
Flatpick 10
Strum 10

Favorite Strings (one selection only): D'Addario EXP 17 Coated Phosphor Bronze, (.013-.056 Gauges)

Would you buy another if lost/sold: Absolutely

Overall Assessment: This is the best acoustic guitar I have ever played, hands down.

Most Appreciated Characteristic: The action right out of the box is fantastic, no adjustments necessary.
Least Appreciated: I wish the fingerboard was a tad wider but I am adjusting.

Favorite D-55 Story/Moment: I purchased my baby from Space Music in North Miami, I went in there 1-2 times a week just to play the different acoustics, I always kept going back to the D-55 as it had a very distinct and powerful sound. I kept talking about it to my wife and she wanted me to get it, I kept putting it off due to other financial priorities. She got home from work a couple of Saturday's ago and said "let's go", we jumped in the car and headed to the music store, she walked in and asked me which guitar it was, took it off the wall, and we were out of the store in 5 minutes with my D-55 in hand. Is that a great woman or what??? I will never forget that day, I simply have a hard time putting my D-55 down, I LOVE IT!

Other observations/comments: You can pay thousands more for a Gibson or a Martin but the Guild D-55 is right up there with anything put out by the other manufacturers.

Reaction score
How long have you owned the D-55:15 years I think
Year & specific model:D 55 label says built in RI
Price paid:Less then the $3200 list price

Build quality 10
Looks 10
Projection 10
Bass 10
Mids 10
Highs 10
Sustain 10
Playability/comfort 20
Dependability 10
Fingerstyle 10
Flatpick 20
Strum 10

Favorite Strings (one selection only): Guild 350

Would you buy another if lost/sold: yes

Overall Assessment: My best guitar to play

Most Appreciated Characteristic: everything
Least Appreciated: none

Other observations/comments: everyone who plays it can not believe how great the guitsr is

ALLENB

Reaction score
How long have you owned the D-55: 2 WEEKS
Year & specific model: 2001 WESTERLY
Purchased new or used: USED
Price paid: $1550 and 795 MILES

Build quality 10
Looks 10
Projection 10
Bass 10
Mids 10
Highs 10
Sustain 10
Playability/comfort 10
Dependability TIME WILL TELL
Fingerstyle 10
Flatpick DON'T USE
Strum 10

Condition (Mint/Excellent/Good/Fair/Poor): EXCELLENT

Favorite Strings (one selection only): MARTIN Lifespan 11-052

Would you buy another if lost/sold: YES

Overall Assessment: LOVE IT SO FAR

Most Appreciated Characteristic: IT BELONGS TO ME
Least Appreciated: HAVE NOT FOUND IT YET
Favorite D-55 Story/Moment: SO FAR, DRIVING 800 MILES TO GET IT

Other observations/comments: SOUNDS BETTER THAN MY OLD F-50SB

Last edited:

DrRichie

Reaction score
How long have you owned the D-55: 4 years
Year & specific model: 2005 D-55 Antique Sunburst
Price paid: $975 (an incredible bargain)

Build quality 10
Looks 10
Projection 10
Bass 9
Mids 10
Highs 10
Sustain 10
Playability/comfort 10
Dependability 10
Fingerstyle 10
Flatpick 10
Strum 10

Condition (Mint/Excellent/Good/Fair/Poor): Excellent

Favorite Strings (one selection only): D'addario Medium Phosphor Bronze

Overall Assessment: The most beautiful sounding, best looking, easiest playing guitar I've ever held in my hands.

Most Appreciated Characteristic: Sweetness and fullness of sound.
Least Appreciated: None
Favorite D-55 Story/Moment: The first time I played a chord, it sounded like bells from heaven. I knew I was home.

Other observations/comments: This is the one guitar in my herd that whomever plays it falls in love with it.

suave eddie

Reaction score
How long have you owned the D-55: 8 years
Year & specific model: D-55 NT
Price paid: $1000 incl OHSC

Build quality 10
Looks 10
Projection 10
Bass 10
Mids 10
Highs 10
Sustain 10
Playability/comfort 8
Dependability 10
Fingerstyle 10
Flatpick 10
Strum 10

Condition (Mint/Excellent/Good/Fair/Poor): Excellent Looks new except gold plating worn on tuners

Favorite Strings (one selection only): John Pearse 610LM Silk Phos Bronze

Overall Assessment: Best acoustic guitar I have owned

Most Appreciated Characteristic: Projection and Balance
Least Appreciated: Weight is a bit heavy neck width at nut could be wider.

Last edited:

West R Lee

Venerated Member
Reaction score
;1448841 said:
How long have you owned the D-55: 1 month
Year & specific model: 2001 westerly d55 sunburst, fishman agp-2
Purchased new or used: used
Price paid: just right

Build quality 10
Looks 11
Projection 9
Bass 9
Mids 9
Highs 9
Sustain 10
Playability/comfort 10
Dependability 10
Fingerstyle 10
Flatpick 10
Strum 11

Condition (Mint/Excellent/Good/Fair/Poor): excellent
Would you buy another if lost/sold: absolutely
Overall Assessment: finally found my ideal d55. Everything I want in a guitar.
Plays like a dream, but you gotta have the eye candy too and this is a beautiful instrument. Love the factory installed electronics too. Fairly rare option. So clean it doesn't even have a strap peg installed yet. Yummy.
Least Appreciated: huh? Ok...mmmmmm... Maybe there's a little wear on the tuner finish. I guess I also wish I could more easily determine it's build date. It would be nice to have a yearly birthday party.
Favorite D-55 Story/Moment: had this shipped 200 miles in single digit temperatures. I spent a terrified 24 hours before opening the case and found it in perfect condition!

-------------
01 D55
93 Takamine FP350smc sb
58 Hammond B3
62 Hammond M3
08 Yamaha Motif XS8

Tuners are an easy fix. Look inside the soundhole at the neckblock and that will give you a date during which the guitar was being assembled. Then check your serial# against the dating chart. That should get you pretty close.

West

suave eddie

Reaction score
How long have you owned the D-55: 8 years
Year & specific model: D-55 NT
Price paid: $1000 incl OHSC

Build quality 10
Looks 10
Projection 10
Bass 10
Mids 10
Highs 10
Sustain 10
Playability/comfort 8
Dependability 10
Fingerstyle 10
Flatpick 10
Strum 10

Condition (Mint/Excellent/Good/Fair/Poor): Excellent Looks new except gold plating worn on tuners

Favorite Strings (one selection only): D'Addario Phosphor Bronze Light (so far)

Overall Assessment: Best acoustic guitar I have owned

Most Appreciated Characteristic: Projection and Balance
Least Appreciated: Weight and neck width at nut could be wider

I have a new favorite string that I recently tried--John Pearse 610LM Silk Phos Bronze .

"The exciting new SILKS sets mark a departure from orthodox acoustic string design. Formulated for the electric guitarist who doubles on acoustic, this set features a never before possible "playing ease" tension married with the warmth and projection for which our acoustic strings are famous. Our triple annealed mild steel is pulled through a draw plate to make an extra skinny core. Onto this is wound a silk multifilament which cushions a phospor bronze winding. This is NOT a silk and steel set. The natural edginess of the phosphor bronze winding is tempered by the silk cushion to produce a tone that studio players everywhere are likening to our 80/20 bronze sets after they have been played in. Steve Sheehan, lead guitarist with the Judds, asked us to make this set. Guitarists all over America are thanking him!"

So far so good--a bit less tension with the same gauge with no sacrifice in sound.

Reaction score
Guild Total
How long have you owned the D-55: 47 years
Year & specific model: 1974 D-55
Purchased new or used: new
Price paid: 468.00 with case

Build quality 10
Looks 10
Projection 10
Bass 10
Mids 9
Highs 8
Sustain 9
Playability/comfort 10
Dependability 10
Fingerstyle yes
Flatpick
Strum

Condition (Mint/Excellent/Good/Fair/Poor): Excellent

Favorite Strings (one selection only): Martin Authentic Acoustic MA170 Extra light

Overall Assessment: They don't make them like this anymore.

Most Appreciated Characteristic: Playability
Least Appreciated: None
Favorite D-55 Story/Moment: See below

In 1974 I got a loan for 500.00 and decided to buy a new guitar. I went to Dell's Music store in Utica, NY with the money in my pocket. All the kids back then would go into a music store and ask to play a guitar. The owner knew that most of them were only there to experience a nice guitar. He was always telling us to be careful and don't have a belt buckle on. I asked him what is the best Guild acoustic guitar you have. He said we have a D-50 and a D-55. I said what's the difference? He said the D-55 is fancier with gold keys and pearl inlays. I said Let me see it. He reluctantly got it down thinking I was only going to play it and move on. I sat and played a couple of tunes, stood up and said, "I'll take it." His jaw dropped on the counter. All of a sudden I was his best friend. I still have the receipt. The store had been torn down for many years but I still have the Guild.

Attachments

• IMG_2696.jpg
    IMG_2696.jpg
    564.9 KB · Views: 198

Westerly Wood

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
In 1974 I got a loan for 500.00 and decided to buy a new guitar. I went to Dell's Music store in Utica, NY with the money in my pocket. All the kids back then would go into a music store and ask to play a guitar. The owner knew that most of them were only there to experience a nice guitar. He was always telling us to be careful and don't have a belt buckle on. I asked him what is the best Guild acoustic guitar you have. He said we have a D-50 and a D-55. I said what's the difference? He said the D-55 is fancier with gold keys and pearl inlays. I said Let me see it. He reluctantly got it down thinking I was only going to play it and move on. I sat and played a couple of tunes, stood up and said, "I'll take it." His jaw dropped on the counter. All of a sudden I was his best friend. I still have the receipt. The store had been torn down for many years but I still have the Guild.
awesome story!
so how much was the D55 new in '74?

Westerly Wood

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
I have a new favorite string that I recently tried--John Pearse 610LM Silk Phos Bronze .

"The exciting new SILKS sets mark a departure from orthodox acoustic string design. Formulated for the electric guitarist who doubles on acoustic, this set features a never before possible "playing ease" tension married with the warmth and projection for which our acoustic strings are famous. Our triple annealed mild steel is pulled through a draw plate to make an extra skinny core. Onto this is wound a silk multifilament which cushions a phospor bronze winding. This is NOT a silk and steel set. The natural edginess of the phosphor bronze winding is tempered by the silk cushion to produce a tone that studio players everywhere are likening to our 80/20 bronze sets after they have been played in. Steve Sheehan, lead guitarist with the Judds, asked us to make this set. Guitarists all over America are thanking him!"

So far so good--a bit less tension with the same gauge with no sacrifice in sound.
these are indeed fantastic strings. they were my go to for a couple years when my finger pads just really struggled with pain.