Photos of New York era Guilds 1953-56

dapmdave

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Phew! I've never been an arch-top guy, but these are really beautiful guitars. And the history lesson is always fascinating.

Merry [__insert personally appropriate holiday designation here__], everyone. :wink:

Dave :D

bluesypicky

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Walter Broes said:
Man, that guitar really is in spectacular shape for its age!
Looking at the pics, I was wondering: "can it possibly be the original finish?"......
Spectacular it is!

Reaction score
This is a great thread -- sorry to have wandered in so late!

Zizala, am I right in remembering that you're active on the Martin forum? I think I remember talking with you about early Gibson archtops there.

Here's my '54 X-440, which the regulars here are already familiar with. It's an oddball -- largely an X-175, but with a bit of extra flash. I also had a '53 X-50, but sold it some years ago to pay for something or other. I need to take some proper controlled shots of the X-440 -- one of these days, I swear.

guild-x440-1.jpg

guild-x440-2.jpg

guild-x440-3.jpg

zizala

Silver Supporting
Reaction score
Smiert S.....

I'm more of an irregular than a regular around here but thats quite the beautiful X-440!
I'd probably get myself in big credit card trouble if one like that showed up somewhere.

Yes.....I posted quite a lot on the UMGF vintage forum for several years, mostly about pre-war acoustic archtops.
I still do love those things, and wouldn't turn away a Masterbilt Epi, but when I got amplified recently, it was the old Guilds that shined brightest.

Glad to see another New York Guild and I hope more people come by and show us more.

......its probably time to study early Hoboken...1957 to what......maybe 1961?
Time for another thread.....

ziz

Reaction score
There are definitely some great guitars in that era, too -- still have the Franz pickups, and some nice designs. Nothing to me, though, is quite as sweet as the narrow-waisted 17 NY bodies with the long scale necks. Ah -- just right.

BTW, I played a very sweet old roundhole L4 yesterday in a local shop -- I think I remember you talking about those. I can't really afford one right now, but this was a good one. Very fat, chewy tone, and less brassy than an f-hole archtop.

Nice guitar.

zizala

Silver Supporting
Reaction score
SS...

I agree with you about the older 17" Guilds with the nice proportions and the long scale necks.
But that being said I'm suddenly off on an M-65 tangent.......

I've yet to play a 1929-33 era roundhole L-4 that was not a great sounding guitar....and they sound like no other. Guess you found another good one....sometimes its painful to be practical and walk away....

z

AlohaJoe

Reaction score
Smiert Spionam said:
Here's my '54 X-440, which the regulars here are already familiar with.
guild-x440-1.jpg
The guitar is beautiful, and I really love that picture of it... the light is perfect!

gusto

Reaction score
I LOVE your guitar. I once pm'd you on TGP and tried to buy it :mrgreen: what a beauty.

skinny

Reaction score
Smiert,
That blond is absolutely gorgeous!! :shock:
Noticed you changed your bridge base to a wooden one from the Bigsby alum. one.
How does that work for you? (with the Bigsby)
Reason I ask is my X400 came with the Guildsby on it but I hated the alum. base (the rocker type) 'cause it
was always slipping on me. At gigs that bridge would drop out from under the strings in the
middle of a tune :x , and I'm not that heavy handed.
I've been wanting to try the Guildsby again but with a different bridge set up.
The set up on yours looks intriguing, the money saving kind :wink:

skinny

hansmoust

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
skinny said:
The set up on yours looks intriguing, the money saving kind

Hello Skinny,

Also note that the top part of the bridge is from the 'improved' version of the rocker bridge, which allows you to choose a string set with a plain G-string!

Sincerely,

Hans Moust
http://www.guitarsgalore.nl

skinny

Reaction score
hansmoust said:
skinny said:
The set up on yours looks intriguing, the money saving kind

Hello Skinny,

Also note that the top part of the bridge is from the 'improved' version of the rocker bridge, which allows you to choose a string set with a plain G-string!

Sincerely,

Hans Moust
http://www.guitarsgalore.nl

Hey Hans,
Looking at Smiert's two sets of pics again, I missed the difference that first time through.
I'll have to dig mine out to see what top part of my rocker bridge I have, probably like the first pics.
But since I use .011's, that top part on the second set of pics would suit me fine !!
Thanks Hans... or should that be Hawkeye :wink:

skinny

Reaction score
Thanks, guys. I assembled that bridge combo on the second set of pics myself, but it's essentially like the Gretsch combos that Walter linked. I used one of the "Guild spec" Bigsby bridges that Elderly used to sell, and mated it to a Stew-Mac base. Works great -- I think the tone is a little less brash than the full aluminum combo, and it doesn't skate around at all. Neck angle / bridge height have a lot to do with that, though, as does setup. I didn't do the setup on this myself -- I had it done along with a refret by Bill Giebitz, a spectacular vintage guitar luthier down here in Austin. He nailed the spacing and radius, and the bridge base is very well fitted to the top, which helps a lot.

Here's a closer shot of the new bridge, after the setup, but before dialing in the pickups:

x440newbridge.jpg

zizala

Silver Supporting
Reaction score
SS.....

Just have to tell you how much I appreciate looking at these new photos of your X-440....

Thanks!

ziz

Walter Broes

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
These are Hoboken-built guitars, but here's a quick blurry pic of "the twins" - late 62 X175 on the right, early 63 on the left. These are my main players.

TWINS.jpg