new to guild amps/thunder-1

Reaction score
Hi All
Just wanted to stop lurking and say hello
I have been reading so much material....in an effort to get caught up...to beginner level on here....
And my first impressions here are really great...friendly and helpful forum from what I have been reading....

here is a shot of a thunder 1 with tremolo I recently won by uncontested ebay bid.....for a little over 200 bucks
I'm sure you guys have all seen this one before...(possibly owned it) lol...

Picture024.jpg

Picture027.jpg

anyways thanks for letting me join in on the fun....
Auger-1

dane

Reaction score
Hey Auger-1,

Welcome to the best forum on the net. You’re going to love the Thunder 1. It’s a great little amp. I’ve been using one since the mid 70’s, and still do for a practice amp and small venues. Great sound and doesn’t mind being pushed a bit. I know you and I aren’t the only ones on the forum to have one. Mine is not in as good of condition as yours, but in fairness it’s done a lot of gigging and traveling since I’ve owned it. Consider it mojo. :lol:
Guild003.jpg

Dane :D

capnjuan

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
Hi auger-1; welcome to LTG and congratulations on your T1 amp. Yours is a first-generation model; 'fish-scale' grill cloth, 'D'-shaped luggage handle, and 'ears' at the upper-forward corners of the side-panels ... little details that were changed ... see Dane's model for the differences. The speaker was made by CTS / Chicago Telephone supply ... Guild's source for the Thunder-series amps. The amp uses two 6GW8 / (Euro designation ECL86) output tubes ... a tube that is no longer in production. The 6GW8 and the similar 6BM8 (not a substitute) were popularized in post-war Europe for table radios.

With moderate use, the tubes can last a lifetime but sometimes not. You might want to get in the habit of cruising eBay for a back-up set; eBay Search String for 6GW8s. As you can see, the prices are all over the place but the Euro makes; Telefunken, Mullard, Siemens, Amperex, and others are going to sound better than any of the GE, RCA, or Sylvanias. If you want to know how good the amp can sound, consider having fresh power supply capacitors put in it. Again, welcome to LTG!

Reaction score
Hey guys
Thanks for all the replies
You guys know these amps inside out....
I have been loving this amp since it got here... and it works especially well with a digital processor (go figure)
and when twinned with the pro junior in sterio it really shines....
I got it originally for my home recoding studio....(in the process of building) but it sounded so nice I have been playing
it around the house pretty much steady...

thanks again for all the replies and I look forward to participating in the forum more......
I see a guild guitar in my future......

Auger

capnjuan

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
auger-1 said:
... I see a guild guitar in my future......
Yes; the BB has that effect on people 8)