What book are you reading?

MAM

Reaction score
Besides Hans' bible, what other books are out there that anyone would recommend.
Author, title and a two sentence synopsis should do the trick.

I've always had a book on the kitchen table for years - no, not the same one.
I love to read. I'm looking for recommendations.

I just finished "In the Sanctuary of Outcasts" by Neil White, a memoir.
He gets caught kiting checks and is sentenced to prison at a home for lepers in Carville, LA.
Well written, real, funny, moving, haunting. HIGHLY RECOMMENDABLE.

MrBoZiffer

Reaction score
I would recommend anything by Wendell Berry... especially his nonfiction and poetry. However, I recently read Jayber Crow (fiction novel) for the first time and it's amazing. If you are interested in nature, agriculture, and rural community than it's a great read. Although it's much more than just that. It can provide the reader with some very good insight about the lifestyles we live. It's probably the best book I've ever read. I can't wait to read it again.

Currently I'm reading an old Thomas Jefferson biography. It's OK, but so far it's kind of a fluff piece.

EDIT: Also, much of Berry's work revolves around Kentucky.

Scratch

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Read two this week: 'The Patriot' and 'The Apostle'. Both by Brad Thor. Starting 'Foreign Influence' this evening; same author.

Ross

Reaction score
Guild Total
Scratch said:
Read two this week: 'The Patriot' and 'The Apostle'. Both by Brad Thor. Starting 'Foreign Influence' this evening; same author.

Ah, the life of a retiree :D I'm jealous - gotta pull the plug soon!

Graham

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Good call Mike.

I don't read too much except for in the cooler months. Through the winter it's kinda nice to curl up with a book.

The one in my book cover now is I Am Legend by Richard Metheson. I love a good horror, sci-fi, thriller any day of the week, in fact if any of you could recommend a creepy read I'd be much appreciative.

West R Lee

Venerated Member
Reaction score
I constantly fill my head with right wing propaganda :shock: :shock: :lol: . This will no doubtedly freak some of you guys out...........

The Trillion Dollar Conspiracy....Jim Marrs
Liberty and Tyranny.....Mark Levin

Soon to get my hands on.....

Trickle Up Poverty........Michael Savage

West

FNG

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
Graham said:
Good call Mike.

I don't read too much except for in the cooler months. Through the winter it's kinda nice to curl up with a book.

The one in my book cover now is I Am Legend by Richard Metheson. I love a good horror, sci-fi, thriller any day of the week, in fact if any of you could recommend a creepy read I'd be much appreciative.

How about The Stand and It by Stephen King?

Ross

Reaction score
Guild Total
Graham said:
I love a good horror, sci-fi, thriller any day of the week, in fact if any of you could recommend a creepy read I'd be much appreciative.

Stephen King's latest, "Under the Dome".
I took it out of the library, but I doubt that I'll get through it before it's due back (if only I was retired :mrgreen: ).
It's literally a king-sized book - 1000+ pages.

Graham

Venerated Member
Reaction score
FNG said:
Graham said:
Good call Mike.

How about The Stand and It by Stephen King?

Read them both.

Salems' Lot is my all time favourite King novel.

Graham

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Ross said:
Graham said:
I love a good horror, sci-fi, thriller any day of the week, in fact if any of you could recommend a creepy read I'd be much appreciative.

Stephen King's latest, "Under the Dome".
I took it out of the library, but I doubt that I'll get through it before it's due back (if only I was retired :mrgreen: ).
It's literally a king-sized book - 1000+ pages.

I just picked up "Under the Dome", my son has it now.

Brad Little

Gold Supporting
Reaction score
I'm addicted to any of the John Sandford novels, especially the Prey series.
Brad

Qvart

Reaction score
The Millennium-trilogy ("The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo", "The Girl Who Played With Fire", and "The Girl Who Kicked the Hornets' Nest") by Stieg Larsson is a good read. And if you like Scandinavian mysteries, try "Smilla's Sense of Snow" by Peter Høeg.

I put reading on hold for a bit when I did a little traveling, but I'm in the middle of rereading Dostoyevsky's "The Brothers Karamazov" and Bertrand Russell's "A History of Western Philosophy."

walrus

Reverential Member
Gold Supporting
Reaction score
I ditto what Brad said, also Lee Child's Reacher novels.

walrus

killdeer43

Reverential Member
Reaction score
Currently reading The Miracle Life of Edgar Mint by Brady Udall.
Larger than life experience of an orphaned half-breed whose story begins when he's seven and a mailman's jeep runs over his head.

Three by Jim Harrison, one of this country's finest writers:
Off to the Side
A memoir.
True North
Family dynamic.
The Beast God Forgot to Invent
Three novellas, one of which features his most unforgettable character....Brown Dog. :wink:

*Anything by Carl Hiaasen
**Anything by James Lee Burke

Etc., :D
Joe

West R Lee

Venerated Member
Reaction score
avagadro said:
Hey West, is that required readin for Lone Star Staters? we get a lot of the same line of talk here in Zona

Not required reading, but Levin and Savage, along with Hannity and Beck sure do end up on the NYT best seller list often. I must not be the only one reading them.

West

Scratch

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Ross said:
Scratch said:

Ah, the life of a retiree :D I'm jealous - gotta pull the plug soon!

Fun so far, Ross... :D