Hoboken A50 Questions

Reaction score
Hello Everyone,

This is my first post here, so I'd first like to say that I really appreciate the wealth of information that I've learned from this forum over the past year or so. This has been an amazing resource for me to have discovered!

With that said, I've recently obtained an old A50 archtop. I have a bunch of questions about it that I'm hoping you guys can help me answer. I can't seem to find much about these guitars anywhere online. First, here's some information:

- The paper "Guarantee" on the inside of the guitar says: Model: A-50 and Serial No: AB-235. The model and serial are handwritten, and this piece of paper also confirms that the guitar was manufactured in Hoboken.

- The neck is stamped "EA 235" on the upper portion of the back of the headstock. The headstock also has a "Starfire" plate on it.

A501.gif

A502.gif

This guitar sounds really great. I was honestly pretty impressed with how nice it sounded and how easily it played. I'd never played an archtop acoustic before but am very happy to have found this one.

Here are my questions:

1) Does anyone know what year this was made based on the serial numbers?
2) Why does the neck say "Starfire"?
3) What is this guitar worth (ballpark).
4) What were these guitars made out of?
5) Is there a current model of a hardshell case that would fit this guitar?
6) A few of the tuners are really tight, hard to turn. Is there a good, safe way to remedy this?
7) The top layer of wood on the headstock appears to be lifting slightly, and pulling away from the nut. I've attached a picture of this. I am wondering if this is only cosmetic and nothing to be worried about, or if it is in fact a warning sign of potential structural problems that I should get fixed right away?

A503.gif

Thankfully 6) and 7) are the only issues on an otherwise pretty perfect guitar.

Thanks so much for all your help!
Steve

fronobulax

Bassist, GAD and the Hot Mess Mods
Reaction score
Guild Total
Welcome.

If you have been lurking for a year then you know that idle speculation often occurs. Thus, with that in mind...

2) I'm guessing someone replaced the truss rod cover with one from another Guild.
7) If the top layer is a plastic laminate as is the case on later guitars then what is happening is that the plastic is shrinking. Ugly but AFAIK not an indication of a structural or other problem.

The Guilds of Grot

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
Since I also own a Hoboken A-50 I feel obligated to take a shot at answering some of your questions.

1. The number on the label is correct one and the guitar was the fifth to the last finished in 1968. The "EA" stamped on the back of the headstock means that the neck was originally intended for an X-50 model which is the same guitar as an A-50 but with a single pick-up. Since they didn't build all that many A-50's they must have just used finished X-50 necks. My A-50 has the same thing though it's a little older at AB-226!

2. A lot of guitars form this era have a Starfire truss rod cover even though they're not Starfires. Maybe Guild had too many of those and not enough of the plain ones so they used them on all models. My has one too!

3. In nice shape with a hard case I'd say around between $900 and $1200. If it's near mint it could go for more.

4. Maple plywood body, mahogany neck.

5. Well it depends on what "fit" means to you.

6. They appear to be closed tuners. You can't lubricate those. Next time you have the strings off, put a string winder on the stiff ones and spin them a little to see if they'll loosen up.

7. It's just cosmetic and nothing to worry about. It's very common for Guilds of that age and style to do that. If it bothers you, you can fix it by shooting some thin super glue under the face plate with a syringe and then clamping it.

Well that's my two cents.

Here's a photo of it's "older" brother;

M-85004.jpg

So what kind of strings do you have on it?

yettoblaster

Reaction score
Jeez those are both beautiful.

I had a later one with all laminated mahogany wood in natural. I never knew what year mine was, but I miss it. I was a poor college student at that time (the seventies) so it went in trade for something stupid I'm sure: probably some other now long-gone as well guitar.

Brad Little

Gold Supporting
Reaction score
I second what Grot had to say, but would add a few things. Clamping the loose headstock overlay is a good idea, but don't forget to use some thing (1" pine for example) between the jaws of the clamp so you don't get a clamp indentation. As to the tuners being tight, do as Grot suggested and turn them freely with no strings attached, but if that doesn't do it, find a good set that will fit and save the originals in case you ever want to sell it as "all original."
Nice guitars, I've never had that particular one, but had its cutaway double pickup brother for several years.
Brad

walrus

Reverential Member
Gold Supporting
Reaction score
Your questions seem to have been answered quite well - I just want to say "welcome", and add that I had a 1961 A50, these are great guitars, and a blast to play!

walrus

Reaction score
Hey guys,

Thanks so much for the warm welcome and for the insight. I really appreciate it!

Does anyone know if there is anywhere online that would detail the syringe glueing/clamping process that I could check out? Though I'm pretty handy, I've never done anything like that before. If anyone has any recommendations on what glue to use or any words of advice it would definitely be appreciated.

And finally, about the case... I don't really even know where to begin. I know the case I have for the Guild "D" series instruments sort of fits the A50, but it is a tight squeeze... Are any of the Guild cases a little more wide?

And Grot, beautiful guitar and great info!!!

Thanks guys!
Steve

southernGuild

Reaction score
South of South Sydney, New South Wales, AUSTRALIA
'Stewart Mac' sent me something ( an Email) a while back showing just that process, and the products they sell. Ill see if I can find it for you, and by the way. WELCOME!! Good to hear about that archtop of yours..............They certainly have me curious here. :wink: