66J on eBay...

capnjuan

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
Hi Bill; yes, all the caps look original ... as for the good/bad ... who knows.

Here's a '59 Fender Bassman offered at $5,500 or so. It looks to have all it's original parts and caps ... it's a certainty that its condition is part of its market value.

Dapmdave had his 66-J recapped including the signal caps ... maybe he'll comment on any change in tone.

If 'better' is defined as punchier, fuller bass, more definition in the mids and highs, then replacing original or worn-out caps will make the amp sound better ... but it will not make a 66-J sound like something that it isn't ... say a '59 Bassman :wink:

Bill Ashton

Reaction score
Guild Total
...and your last comment is well taken, Cap'...I hate it when the few listings you see for these talk about how its a Fender tweed Deluxe and it is not at all...with a half tube gain stage and that Bandaxall (sp?) tone stack, a 5E3 it ain't! But to my ear, its a better cleaner amp. Which, if you think of Guild's market at the time of the 66-J, is just what the jazzers would have wanted.

capnjuan

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
Bill Ashton said:
...Which, if you think of Guild's market at the time of the 66-J, is just what the jazzers would have wanted.
I think you're right ... they produced amps that were more compatible with their bread and butter jazzboxes. I listened to Bluesy play through dapmdave's 66-J ... The problem is he plays so well, you get distracted listening to his chops and not so much the amp itself! :D

capnjuan

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
john_kidder said:
capnjuan said:
I listened to Bluesy play through dapmdave's 66-J ... The problem is he plays so well, you get distracted listening to his chops and not so much the amp itself! :D
That's a problem?
:lol: It's a wheat-from-the-chaff kind of thing ...

I once offered here that if 30 LTGers were in a phone booth listening to Tommy Emmanuel play the guitar over the phone, we'd all swear up and down that what we heard sounded great ... but I don't think that's what we would have meant. We'd have intended that the guy was playing lights out ... not that the music ... the stuff that was actually coming out of the handset that Graham was holding up ... the stuff that was hitting our eardrums was the holy grail of tones.

Agree that what we hear is the sum of the instruments and the musician ... trying to make a distinction ... that's what Canadian Whiskey and Stoly are for ... (burp :wink: )

capnjuan

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
Bill Ashton said:
..well then, Bluesy just has to get an Artist Award or some X-series so that we can pay more close attention to Dave's amp... :lol:
Yes ... otherwise how would we know whether it was the singer or the song ... :D

Bill Ashton

Reaction score
Guild Total
Lessee...a good singer can make even a bad song sound pretty good, but a bad song...

Not to say that the 66J is any sort of "bad song," but Bluesy is certainly a good singer :D