How common is three piece neck on SF4?

davemcc

Reaction score
Have seen this on other Guild archtops but not on any other SFs. Mine is a 79.

_DSC0350.jpg

_DSC0346.jpg

AfterGlo

Reaction score
My 66 SF V has but a single stripe running down the center of the neck - what I'd consider a 3 piece.

hansmoust

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
davemcc said:
Have seen this on other Guild archtops but not on any other SFs. Mine is a 79.

Hello davemcc,

That's a feature from the second half of the '70s. You see them mostly on other models; flat tops and deep body electric archtops. But when I look at my database, I don't see a whole lot of Starfire 4s to begin with, so maybe the fact that they didn't make that many during that period is the reason why Starfires with that feature are somewhat rare.
The first Starfires with 5-pc. necks started to appear during 1977. By 1979 the Starfire was becoming more popular and that is reflected by the number of Starfires that I have in the database. Most of them are in the 209xxx - 210xxx serial number range. Shortly after that the 3-pc. neck returned. It should be noted that some 3-pc. necks were produced during the same period that the 5-pc. necks were done, so it was not 5-pc. necks exclusively.

By the way, what's the serial number of the one in the photo?

Sincerely,

Hans Moust
http://www.guitarsgalore.nl

davemcc

Reaction score
Serial # is 199137. Inside label says it was made in Westerly. I bought it from the original owner approximately 15 years ago.

dave

davemcc

Reaction score
I hadn't noticed the "wings" but now that I look closely I can see two darker pieces at the edges of the head stock at the back.

BTW, does anyone have advice on how to repair the area on the back of the neck where the finish has come off? This happened a few years back in a drier than usual winter. It's bare wood now and I'm concerned it will extend.

headstock.jpg