Another X500 question but not by the same guy as before

Reaction score
I have a chance to trade for a California built X500 that is in near mint condition. The other person wants my X170 that is also in similiar condition plus $300. I like the X500 with the p90's lower midrange on the midfrets on the bass strings compared and some other there are other sonic differences also that I like. Such as color and other small cosmetics. What is the general thoughts on the x500 as a step up from the x170. Thanks

Jeff Haddad

Reaction score
X500 w/ P90's? Jump on that one before the other guy changes his mind! You can get another X170 easily but the X500's don't come around too often. Even with the cash out on your part that is a sweet deal. The X500 is a full depth hollowbody compared to the slimmer X170 and as you've noticed, has much fancier trim. The pearl/abalone fretboard inlays and G-shield logo are top of the line.

If you don't get it, let me know - I think I can find room for it. :wink:

If you do get it, posting pictures are in order.

guildzilla

Reaction score
IMO, if a nice X-170 is worth about $1,300, then a just as nice X-500 would be worth $2,200. The math is greatly in your favor if your transaction partner wants only $300 in cash.

Guilderagain

Reaction score
Hello Grooveyard,

I like both my X-500 and X-170. Admittedly, I play the X-500 more. I cant speak for the P-90's since the X-500 I have has the Guild humbuckers. It is a Corona made specimen and was crafted beautifully by the Fender people. The apparent differences are that the X-500 has a deeper body and therfore larger than the X-170 - and heavier. The X-500 nut is slightly wider too which makes a difference in my opinion. It takes some getting use to the narrower neck on the X-170 after playing my other X boxes. Speaking of necks; the X-500 fretboard is ebony as compared to rosewood on the X-170. Also, the X-500 has wider frets. Finally, the X-170 has a sound post which will reduce feedaback some - not that the X-500 is prone to feedback. If you choose to do the trade you will not be dissapointed!

Good Luck and Have Fun!