tube amp find at a yard sale

kydog

Reaction score
well I must have the mojo workin :D found a 1977 fender princeton reverb (silver face) amp at a yard sale this last weekend. Brought it home dusted er off turned it on gave it a look over. Tubes lit up :D a little noise 8) then she quieted down pluged in and gave er a try at 1 on the volume and mmmmmmm that sweet tone, so on Monday took it to the shop to have it checked out. I figure with the cost of the shop plus the 40.00 that it cost me there is no way to lose . just bitten at the bit to get er home to give it a run thru :D :D :D :D

AlohaJoe

Reaction score
Congratulations. That's a great amp and a killer find for $40! Mine is a '65 and I plan to be buried with it. :lol:
We need pics!
- Joe

kydog

Reaction score
OK :D :D Today I got the amp out of the shop. Mike checked it over and found that 2 of the tubes were the wrong one's, so he traded for a couple of used ones that he had. everything is sounding real good :!: However he said that the speaker is a little tired. When I crank it up it gets a little rough on the base end. So now I am looking for a replacement of the original 10" speaker that it has. :?: :?: :?: Could anyone suggest what I might be looking for and how hard is it to chang out a speaker?

capnjuan

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
Hi Dog; second question first; not that hard to change out ... the speaker usually jacks into the chassis. You'd have to de-solder the connections on the old speaker and re-solder them on the new one. Depending on physical clearance, you might have to take the chassis out of the cabinet; no big deal.

The tougher choice is alnico v. ceramic magnet and trying to make distinctions between many speakers with subtle differences in tone. This is a link to Weber Speakers whose Classic series is dedicated to reproducing the sound of vintage Jensen speakers. You can also go to ToneCones and check the samples there. If it were my amp, I'd go with a Weber Classic alnico 10A125 / 30 watts but that's neither here nor there. Good luck.

Edit: if the only problem you have with the existing speaker is a torn cone, you can usually get it re-coned for $35-$45 ... $75 or so if the voice coil is rubbing. But, in either event it'd be less than the cost of a new, good-grade speaker.

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
capnjuan said:
Edit: if the only problem you have with the existing speaker is a torn cone, you can usually get it re-coned for $35-$45 ... $75 or so if the voice coil is rubbing. But, in either event it'd be less than the cost of a new, good-grade speaker.
Or you could only play Kinks tunes on it:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/You_Really_Got_Me
(see para. 2) :lol:

coastie99

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
And, when you're de-soldering / soldering those speaker lugs place some sort of insulating material between the lugs and the speaker cone, to catch any dripping solder !!!

capnjuan

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
coastie99 said:
And, when you're de-soldering / soldering those speaker lugs place some sort of insulating material between the lugs and the speaker cone, to catch any dripping solder !!!
Hmm ... zounds like the voice of experience there ... Yes; no point bothering if you're going to burn holes in the cone ... :D