What is Your Opinion about Strings?

Horse

Reaction score
Hi everyone.

As some may know who were involved in the price thread, I recently had the good fortune of getting hold of a New Hartford D50 at a decent price. One of the things that I noticed is that they are shipping Guilds with (what I consider to be) these godawful D'Addario Phosphor Bronze strings. But even they weren't enough to prevent the beautiful sound of the instrument from coming through. Anyway, so I get the guitar home and start playing with it.... It was then that I realized that, lo and behold, Guild also shipped the dread with medium gauge strings! What I was hoping to do here was get a few questions answered by some of you more seasoned Guildfolk.

Firstly, is this normal? I guess I've been out of the loop for a while, and have started playing again after several years away from it. But I'd always thought that unless you're a hard core bluegrass flat picker, you want LIGHT, and not medium gauge strings. And so I was a little surprised.

Having said all that, I was determined to restring immediately, and it just so happened that I had a very old set of those Guild phosphor bronze strings, you may know the ones, discontinued I think, with a black sleeve cover? Unbeknown to me for all the years they sat in the drawer, these too were mediums! Ok, I figured, I'll put these on anyway. The guitar's been hanging in the store for months with mediums, so who am I to suddenly change up. Well, I put these on and I had to say, they are some fine sounding strings. A shame they don't make them any more. I'd like to see them in light or med-light.

Anyway, let me just put this out there. I hate to admit it, and yes my fingers hurt more, but I think the mediums are growing on me. I'm also concerned that I the wonderful throaty bass will be diminished with lighter gauge. I am wondering what I could expect in terms of tonal changes should I decide to abruptly go with light gauge (as is the case with my old Martin, which never suffered *any* sort of
problem when I went "light".

But all this is secondary to my point in starting this thread. I am wondering what folks are using these days on their Guilds, and why. I'd like opinions about strings, and who likes what the best. I am curious about the consensus (if any) on phosphor vs. regular bronze.
(In the past I didn't like them, but now find that they have their merits!).

So ... what do you guys like, what do you recommend ... etc. Thanks for your input. H.

Reaction score
Hi, Hoss. :D :D

I would direct your kind attention to this most recent round of philsophying on strings:

http://letstalkguild.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=20685

If the above 9 page thread, seems like a cursory treatment of the subject, feel free to try out the LTG search function. There's no additional charge for searches and it works nearly 2/3 of the time. You'll find if located on the upper right corner of your screen. Entering 'strings' into the search field returns 7124 results. Granted many of these will be unsatisfactory, but at least a couple thousand or so might be worth while. :| :roll:

Just a thought. :D

Cheers

~nw

jazzmang

Reaction score
Interesting topic.

I actually like the D'Addario EXP's... when they're new.
I must have some super-acidic hands though... I can kill a new set of strings in under an hour! It is because of this that I have to pretty much use Elixirs only. I literally will kill every other string out there.

So I have 3 CT Guilds. The D-55 and F-50R all came with Medium EXPs. The GSR F-40 used and recommended light strings.

I've left the (80/20 Bronze) mediums on the F-50R, as I loved the little extra confidence in the low end that these strings instilled.

I ended up switching to (Phosphor Bronze) lights on the D-55, as I like the slightly jangly high end on that particular guitar, but I may look for a set with medium bass strings and light uppers. Just fits the guitar really well.

The GSR kept the (Phosphor Bronze) light strings. Sounds perfect as it is.

Anyways, if you go from med -> light, you could expect a slight loss of 'confidence' in low end response... and that should pretty much hold for any guitar. Your top end will be a little more 'jangly,' but playing should be a little easier as well.

Christopher Cozad

Platinum Supporting
Gold Supporting
Reaction score
As Nigel has pointed out, nearly every conceivable opinion has been offered here at one point or another. The topic of strings is so personal and subjective that it is easy to see why arguments erupt. Hoping to avoid flaming responses, here are some additional thoughts on strings, just 'cause I felt like waxing philosophical:

Common choices for acoustic guitar steel string gauges include:

Light gauge: 12 - 54
Medium gauge: 13 - 56

My 34 year old Guild jumbo arrived from the factory with Guild M450 Phosphor Bronze strings, and I just got used to medium gauge strings on my 6-strings (light gauge on my 12-strings) over the years, though I sought out brass strings whenever I could find them. I grew to love the sound of the medium gauge strings - incredibly full with rich bass that I couldn't achieve get with lighter strings. I fingerpick more than strum, and I love that powerful bass.

I switched that same Guild jumbo to light gauge (with an accompanying half dozen new set up attempts) about 10 years ago and lived with a 'tinny, gacking' sound (that some refer to as 'shimmering' or 'airy') out of that guitar for about 8 years before I switched it back to mediums. Note: If you stay with medium gauge and are ever concerned about the effect the extra string tension might have on the neck, belly, or bridge you can always tune down a half step.

For those who want the fuller bass, but prefer the lighter gauge on the treble side, an alternative might be the hybrid 'Bluegrass' gauge (12 - 56), like the D'Addario EXP19. You get that hefty bottom end with a medium gauge string size at the 6th string and a progressively lighter set as you move towards the 1st string.

Regarding which metal to use, I have operated for years under the following assumptions, which might be of interest/annoyance (Disclaimer - the following is for entertainment purposes only and is not intended to start a war):

Round wound strings are the brightest sounding, squeak the loudest, wear out frets and fretboards the fastest, and corrode the quickest. Flat wound strings squeak much less, sacrifice some of the brightness, and cost more. Ground wound (polished) seems to be a happy medium between the two.

The enemy of metal guitar strings is corrosion which dulls the brightest sounding string over time. We are all on a seeming never-ending quest to find that holy grail of strings, some combination of bright, ringing sound that lasts and lasts and lasts.

Wound strings are primarily made up of copper, which is very, very soft and easily corroded. Brass is an alloy that combines zinc with copper and makes it stronger and more tarnish resistant than copper alone. Bronze is an alloy that combines tin with copper and, like brass, is stronger and more corrosion resistant than copper alone. 'Phosphor Bronze' adds phosphorus as a deoxidizing agent to copper and tin. The ratios of copper to the other metals (along with the quality of the metals and which metals are combined) determine the brightness to oxidation relationship that is the subject of debate ad nauseam.

80/20 and 85/15 are copper/zinc ratios and comprise brass strings (even though some manufacturers refer to them as bronze). They are the 'brightest-sounding' strings.

Phosphor Bronze is more of a 92/8 ratio of copper/tin (or 92/7/1 copper/tin/phosphorus). Copper and tin make bronze. While still 'bright', they are 'warmer' than brass strings, perfect for the player who likes 'bright, but not too bright'.

Each player can react differently to the constant contact with these various metals. Some strings seem to last longer (sustain their brilliance) than others, and yet that can be be completely subjective. What works great for one player is loathed by another. Manufacturers started coating strings years ago to assist with the corrosion problem. Most players will agree (shock) that coated strings sacrifice some brightness on the front end but maintain their sound quality for a greater length of time.

I, personally, like bright-sounding strings (like 80/20's) on my Guild's but can destroy them (they lose their 'brightness') in a couple of hours of playing. Subsequently, I tend to use coated strings unless I am recording or want that sound for a really special performance.

I hope this is of some use to you,

Christopher

Brad Little

Gold Supporting
Reaction score
My opinion about strings is that they are absolutely necessary. I tried to play a guitar without them once, and found that I was essentially playing air guitar, and I stink at that. So since then I've stayed with strings. :D
Brad

taabru45

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Brad Little said:
My opinion about strings is that they are absolutely necessary. I tried to play a guitar without them once, and found that I was essentially playing air guitar, and I stink at that. So since then I've stayed with strings. :D
Brad

Hi Brad...I tried air guitar a while ago, but it hurt my back too much so I've been spending more time with my Guild, and it does sound way better with strings, especially 6 of them....on the D 50 of course...Steffan :D

Qvart

Reaction score
Horse said:
What is Your Opinion about Strings?

I'd say it's best when there are none attached. :lol:

Welcome!

EDIT: Oh, alright...I'll play along. :lol:

D'Addario PB lights (.012-.053) on the '83 D35. Haven't experimented with any others because I mainly play my electrics (with D'Addario XL .010-.046). I'm open to suggestions on the acoustic, but don't really want to mess with the setup too much. It's decent the way it is. Mainly a flat picker too.

taabru45

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
We tend to be overly serious here, and sometimes a little sarcastic, so try to maintain a lightheartedsenseofhumoryousurekwontfindithere..... :lol: Steffan

Horse

Reaction score
jazzmang said:
Interesting topic.

I actually like the D'Addario EXP's... when they're new.
I must have some super-acidic hands though... I can kill a new set of strings in under an hour! It is because of this that I have to pretty much use Elixirs only. I literally will kill every other string out there.

So I have 3 CT Guilds. The D-55 and F-50R all came with Medium EXPs. The GSR F-40 used and recommended light strings.

That must be it, then, because I have an ugly reaction to D'Addarios in general -- but now I am willing to allow that it might be their inability to last long on the store displays, with all those people pawing at them having just stumbled drunkely or stonedly in off the street to "jam". Your "acidic hands" theory sounds practical. I would now take a moment to officially apologize to D'Addario (although I still won't use your product -- it's a personal thing, man).

Yes, I've heard about the Elixirs -- may give them a try some day.

Horse

Reaction score
Nigel Wickwire said:
Hi, Hoss. :D :D

I would direct your kind attention to this most recent round of philsophying on strings:

http://letstalkguild.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=20685

If the above 9 page thread, seems like a cursory treatment of the subject, feel free to try out the LTG search function. There's no additional charge for searches and it works nearly 2/3 of the time. You'll find if located on the upper right corner of your screen. Entering 'strings' into the search field returns 7124 results. Granted many of these will be unsatisfactory, but at least a couple thousand or so might be worth while. :| :roll:

Just a thought. :D

Cheers

~nw

Thanks Nigel. I did search in my first days here. I guess my search wasn't thorough enough. I did find a fairly comprehensive "strings" thread from a few years back. I will endeavor to learn the LTG search facililty more comprehensively in future.

I must say, however, that some of the responses here today have been great. THANKS folks.

Qvart

Reaction score
Horse said:
I did search in my first days here. I guess my search wasn't thorough enough.

At least you made an effort, but the search function is temperamental at best. When I use it I see !@#$%. :lol:

Remember to ask Coastie about end pins too. That's his favorite newbie question. :lol: :lol: :twisted: :lol: :lol:

Enjoy!

taabru45

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
End pins........boy I'd be careful about asking Costie about those!!! :lol: Steffan

Horse

Reaction score
I'm not an "end pin asking" sort of dude, Nig. But thanks for the heads up.

taabru45

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Coastie isn't usually too opinionated but that is one of his tender spots.... :roll: :D Steffan

Qvart

Reaction score
Horse said:
I'm not an "end pin asking" sort of dude, Nig. But thanks for the heads up.

Hehe...I was saying more about Coastie than you. What would this forum be without Coastie? :lol:

Horse

Reaction score
ccozad said:
My 34 year old Guild jumbo arrived from the factory with Guild M450 Phosphor Bronze strings, and I just got used to medium gauge strings on my 6-strings (light gauge on my 12-strings) over the years, though I sought out brass strings whenever I could find them. I grew to love the sound of the medium gauge strings - incredibly full with rich bass that I couldn't achieve get with lighter strings. I fingerpick more than strum, and I love that powerful bass.

I hear you there. I am very hesitant to switch gauges now -- I guess I'll have to toughen the calluses up even more, and stick with Medium. Very good sound.

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
Qvart said:
At least you made an effort, but the search function is temperamental at best. When I use it I see !@#$%. :lol:
Enjoy!
TheE first time I saw Fronobulax use the term "Search Fu" I thought it was a humorous reference to chinese concepts. Now I think that "FU" was actually an anagram...as in "My search fu is FU" :lol:

MojoTooth

Reaction score
I prefer Elixir lights, either nano or poly web's on my acoustics and Elixir 10's on my electric.