There can be only one!

GAD

Reverential Morlock
Über-Morlock
Reaction score
Guild Total
In the left corner, the 2008 Setzer Gretsch SSLVO 6120 Nashville.

In the right corner, the 1999 Guild X170T.

SSLVO-X170T-800.jpg

The battle begins...

fronobulax

Bassist, GAD and the Hot Mess Mods
Reaction score
Guild Total
The thread title has already been used as long as punctuation doesn't count.

But c'mon, do you really think anyone here is gong to pick the 2008 Setzer Gretsch SSLVO 6120 Nashville? You are going to get a page full of "keep the Guild" coupled with a lot of "how can we enable you to keep them both?" And I predict at least one PM from someone who will take the Gretsch off your hands if something really has to go. :wink:

Brad Little

Gold Supporting
Reaction score
They're both nice, but I think the Guild is more versatile. The X-170 is a very nice jazz guitar, but I don't think the Gretsch is as good. Of course, I'm speculating as I've never played the Gretsch, may be just as good? :?
Brad

GAD

Reverential Morlock
Über-Morlock
Reaction score
Guild Total
My impressions after only one day:

The pinned bridge is great, but in typical "historically accurate" fashion, it's a 12" radius bridge on a 9.5" radius neck. I knew it would be going in. The effect is that if the outside strings are setup right, the middle two strings buzz. Brian Setzer sets the action high and the bridge helps to keep the high strings from fretting out. Doesn't work for me - I hate it (as do many others), so I'll order a TruArc bridge to replace the rattle-trap bridge on there now.

Between the Guild and the Gretsch:

I like the neck better on the Guild (Guild=C, Gretsch=V)
I like the fretboard better on the Gretsch (Ebony)
I like the fretboard radius better on the Guild (12" vs. 9.5" on the Gretsch)
I like the pickups better on the Gretsch (Fender-esqe craptastic "HB1s" suck on the Guild)
I like the finish (lacquer) better on the Gretsch
I like the wood (flamed) better on the Guild (but still dig the Gretsch)
I like the headstock better on the Guild :)
I like the tuners (locking spretzles) on the Gretsch
I like the case a LOT better on the Guild
I like the controls better on the Guild, though I love the MV on the Gretsch

I have to say, I like the dice. :)

The body is a bit smaller on the Gretsch. No opinion either way.
The Gretsch gets that Gretsch spank that the Guild just can't deliver. That, is IMO, 100% the pickups. Unplugged they sound VERY similar, though the Gretsch might be a tad brighter with the Ebony board.
The Guild is (IMO) classier looking
The Gretsch is (IMO) more classic rockabilly looking, mostly thanks to Brian Setzer in my mind at least.

So where do I stand? As many of you may remember, I have a self-imposed rule of "only one type of guitar at a time", hence the title of this thread. From a looks standpoint, they're pretty darn similar, especially to a non-player. My wife said, upon seeing the Gretsch, "Don't you already have one of those?" :)

Plugged in though, the pickups make all the difference. Even though I'm no fan of the Fender HB1s, they're thicker than the TV Jones enough to make a real difference. I could convince myself to keep them both. But I bet you knew that didn't you. :)

Will I keep them both? I don't know. My main goal in a hollow body of this type is playing Setzer tunes, and the Gretsch is the winner there. For Jazz, I could use my Starfire II, which has the ever so much sweeter SD1 pickups and warm sounding mahogany body. There is just something sexy about the X170T though. Something I can't quantify. I think a part of it is that I'm just flat-out a sucker for a pretty Guild, and this is a damn pretty Guild. I've always been a sucker for a pretty redhead, and they've always gotten me into trouble.

This is the first step in my shaking up my guitar collection a bit. My goal is to have every guitar I've dreamed of (within financial reason), and the Gretsch is one of them.

AlohaJoe

Reaction score
I'll be watching this for updates as the battle goes on. The neck would be the clincher for me, but I look forward to hearing how this develops.

Super Moderator
Platinum Supporting
Reaction score
Guild Total
Mud switch and filtertrons just kill the Gretsch for me. :cry: I had my Country Gentleman and that combo just doesn't work for me. :?

murkat

Reaction score
if I can keep my Duo Jet caddie and my 70's bluesbirds, its only fair that you as well keep both of yours GAD :)

Walter Broes

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
I think a Guild with mostly '59 specs like the Setzer Gretsch would stomp all over it in the Rockabilly/Rootsrock/twang/etc.... stakes...but I'm biased... :lol:

jmac

Reaction score
Sell both of them and get a Guild X-160. The Tennessee Orange finish is beautiful. Setzerish, and Reverend Horton Heatish, but since its a Guild you don't come off as much as a "Setzer wanna-be" as playing a Gretch.

The DeArmond 2000 pickups are tough to beat.

FNG

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
jmac said:
Sell both of them and get a Guild X-160. The Tennessee Orange finish is beautiful. Setzerish, and Reverend Horton Heatish, but since its a Guild you don't come off as much as a "Setzer wanna-be" as playing a Gretch.

The DeArmond 2000 pickups are tough to beat.

Damn fine advice... :lol: 8)

GAD

Reverential Morlock
Über-Morlock
Reaction score
Guild Total
I actually have a pair of TV Jones classic in English mount and gold finish that I bought to put into the X170, but I never did it.

GAD

Reverential Morlock
Über-Morlock
Reaction score
Guild Total
gkoelling said:
Will the X-170 handle a bit of OD for blues?

BTW, you can buy dice knobs at All Parts and probably numerous other places. http://www.allparts.com/SearchResults.asp?search=dice

I've never met an electric that couldn't handle a bit of OD for blues. :)

The dice are cool and all, but they were not a factor in the decision making process. :)

Drka

Reaction score
I say the Guild looks horrific. you should probably just give it away to one of us here :lol:
jokes :!:
just by looks, i like the guild a lot better. i dig its color.
......why don't you keep both :mrgreen:
Cheers,
Drka

gtrman100

Reaction score
Here's what I (would) do:

1. Plug into your favorite amp with Guitar A and dial in a good clean tone
2. Close your eyes- play for 5 minutes
3. Dial in a slightly distorted tone
4. Close your eyes and play for 5 more minutes
5. Repeat 1-4 with guitar B
6. You'll probably have a feeling about which guitar feels best, sounds best and is the one you can't lose.
7. If #6 doesn't give you a clear winner- flip a coin! :lol:

AlohaJoe

Reaction score
GAD said:
I actually have a pair of TV Jones classic in English mount and gold finish that I bought to put into the X170, but I never did it.
That sounds like it might be just the solution... you could even do it in in a way that is easily undone.

mini.jpg