Fender musicmaster bass amp

kydog

Reaction score
Today I found a Fender musicmaster bass amp (silver face) for under 100.00. It sounds ok and it seems like everything works I was surprised that there was no buzzing or hissing when I turned it on. No scratch in the knob's ect. I still need a little more time with it before I can give a true opinion. I do not play bass and I am using this amp for six string. If anyone has any informatoin or opinion's your feed back is welcomed. Will post pic's soon

Super Moderator
Platinum Supporting
Reaction score
Guild Total
That's a pretty good deal. Put a decent guitar speaker in it, that's the easier mod. There's some mods you can have done to make it more guitar-friendly. Danerectal has one with 6aq5's, IIRC?

capnjuan

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
Early versions are 6AQ5 like default said, later ones are 6V6 and will work fine for 6-string. Made between '70-'82 and was something on an experiment by Fender using a transformer for phase splitting instead of a tube like the Gibson 'Crest' GA17 Scout. New speaker and you're good to go.

Walter Broes

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
I had one of those for a little while, yep, decent speaker, and it's a pretty cool guitar amp, not all that different from a Champ, and better for guitar than for bass anyway.
Under $100 is a steal for that.

alpep

Reaction score
I never been able to get past the 6aq5 tubes in ANY amp.

I don't know why but they just don't cut it for me

but for 100 it is a deal

capnjuan

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
capnjuan said:
... using a transformer for phase splitting ... like the Gibson 'Crest' GA17 Scout.
Not ....... Make that the Gibson GA35RVT 'Lancer'; Gibson had experimented with a PI transformer earlier in its BR9.

PITransformers.jpg

Perhaps in consideration of Gibson's long-established Michigan roots, it named the GA35 after one of Detroit's own ... the Dodge Lancer ... which most Geezers will recognize as the better-selling Plymouth 'Prince' Valiant. Those old enough will also remember the pain in the knuckles associated with getting spark plugs out of its (and later Chrysler) slant-6 engines ... :evil:

62Lancer.jpg