X-170 bridge problem

Reaction score
I recently acquired an X-170 in very nice condition. However, like one I previously owned, I cannot lower the bridge enough to get decent action on the neck. I even removed the adjusting wheels. Action is still high, particularly on the bottom (heavier) strings. I am using D'Addario Chromes light jazz strings (10s). I adjusted the neck so that it is flat (no relief). Still too high at the 12th fret. I would like to get a lower profile bridge if possible but I haven't been able to find one. I realize that the Guild bridge is already pretty low profile. This is the second X-170 I've had with this issue. I have read in some older posts that the X170 neck angle is part of the problem. Basically, I'd like to find an after market bridge that has a lower profile, and that I can tinker with if necessary. I don't want to destroy the original bridge. I have also been thinking that an ebony bridge might be interesting.

dtw927

Reaction score
I had a similar issue with a SF3 where I changed the stock rocker bridge to a tune-o-matic roller, resulting in the string contact points too high. I routed the replacement bridge foot contacting the guitar top plate with a dremel tool until I got back the adjustment needed and a rough fit to the top plate. Final fit to the guitar was made by rubbing the bridge bottom on a piece of 220 grit sandpaper placed on the guitar top plate (rough side up only!) at the bridge position until I was satified with the contact area. See Frank Ford's website for this technique: http://frets.com/FRETSPages/pagelist.html#Luthier . You can periodically check the bridge bottom fit with the top plate by marking the top plate at the bridge position with a grease (wax) pencil and working the bridge around a little to mark the bridge bottom. The grease marks on the bridge bottom will show you where to take off additional material for a better fit. If you hollow out the underside of the base except for the outline of the base, it's supposed to increase the contact pressure on the top plate for better sound transmission. I did it and it seems to work fine, no buzzing.

A suggestion - buy a replacement ebony or rosewood compensated adjustable bridge and save your original bridge for future use, especially if you decide to sell the guitar; Replacements are about $20 or so on ebay. Buy 2 if you want to practice the fitting procedure before committing to a final modification. It's a small price to pay to get your Guild working again.

Good Luck.

mbuc

Reaction score
Hi fellow Guild lovers,

I became a member of this forum quite some time ago because my '67 SFIII is in desperate need of some restoration work and I always wanted to ask a few questions about it. Well, to my shame I haven't started this project yet. Instead, I recently bought a '96 X-170 in near mint condition, I just couldn't resist.

Guild.jpg

It's a very fine guitar but I do have the same problem. The lowest possible action just isn't low enough for my taste. A little wood work on the bridge might do the trick but I don't want to spoil the original Guild bridge. Can anybody recommend an aftermarket replacement bridge that fits perfectly? I might ask a local luthier to build a Custom bridge but it would be easier to try an aftermarket bridge first. Obviously the best thing would be to buy another original Guild archtop bridge but I guess they're sold out everywhere. Or does anybody know a shop where they're still available?

Any help is highly appreciated!

mbuc

Reaction score
Wow that's fast, thanks! Is this just any aftermarket archtop bridge or do you know from experience or hearsay that this one is indeed suitable for a X-170? Height and space between low and high E strings can be quite different and should fit at least approximately.