LOOKING FOR ANY INFORMATION ABOUT THE GUILD F112

frettedstrings

Reaction score
I am looking for any information about the Guild F112. . I recently found a 1973 Guild F 112. I am very interested in this guitar. I hear that it sounds great. Someone tell me about the Guild F112. All information, good or bad, is greatly appreciated !

gilded

Reaction score
First of all, welcome to LTG.

Secondly, we have a search function here (you can see it next to FAQ, members, control panel in the upper right corner of the page). Just his the search button, type in F112 into the search box, hit send and you'll see 2 or 3 years worth of entries about F112 guitars.

Thirdly, they are great guitars. They are Guild's smallest 12 string model and the sound comes out bright and quick. F112s are a great place to start appreciating the large and varied family of Guild 12 strings. The bigger models (f212, f212XL, etc.) have more of a baritone sonority to them (they are louder but 'slower'), but they are all good. I think 112s work well in lots of different applications; ensemble playing, duo or solo playing, almost anything. Lots of wonderful jangle, although I don't know that the bigger 12s might not project farther into the performance room that you will be playing in, etc.

Things to watch out for when you are buying are cracks in the top (and, be sure to look on the sides of the fingerboard for cracks that run along there), soundhole waffling or rippling, bridge lifting, one or even two cracks in the back of the neck, underneath the 3rd through 7th fret area (it means that one or both of the dual truss rods in the neck was tightened too much and cracked the back of the neck; not good!) and the need for a neck reset. Oh, I can't remember how bad '73 tuners suck, so that can be another potential problem.

Don't pay too much, because you don't know what it will cost to repair, blah blah. If they'll let you take it to a luthier for an evaluation, so much the better. Take pictures and post them here, especially of any problem areas. That way, we can help you figure out what you have and what the guitar needs to be in good shape.

When I say pics, you don't have to have a $1000 digital camera, but it helps if they're not just cell phone pics, too (something I am frequently guilty of, by the way). If you don't know how to post pics on web sites, we can talk you through that, too.

Have fun!!

frettedstrings

Reaction score
No Thank You. I will leave the F112 as a 12 String Guitar. I already have a D35 and I am very happy with that. I am selling the 12 strings guitar, that I've owned for the past several years (not a Guild) because I am now very spoiled after hearing the D35. I figure the F112 has got to sound really nice with 6 extra strings.

killdeer43

Reverential Member
Reaction score
frettedstrings said:
No Thank You. I will leave the F112 as a 12 String Guitar. I figure the F112 has got to sound really nice with 6 extra strings.
fretted,
The F-112 is a great little 12 string, especially when you consider the size of the guitar and the sound that comes from within.
Just engaging in a little bit of LTG humor. :wink:

Take care,
Joe

frettedstrings

Reaction score
Thanks for the humor Joe. I have heard that the F112 is smaller than a Dreadnaught. That's ok. The sound is the main issue. I am very anxious to make this F112 part of my collection of Guild Guitars. I have a Takamine Jasmine ES40c 6 string for sale and an Austin AU518 12 String (with the L.R. Baggs Ribbon Transducer System Installed. Both are on consignment at a local guitar store. Both are in excellent condition.

frettedstrings

Reaction score
I was told that Guild 12 String Guitars have 2 truss rods. Is this true? Does the F112 have two truss rods as well or was that only available in the 412, 512, 612 etc.? I have heard that Guild double braces its 12 string line.

taabru45

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
frettedstrings said:
I was told that Guild 12 String Guitars have 2 truss rods. Is this true? Does the F112 have two truss rods as well or was that only available in the 412, 512, 612 etc.? I have heard that Guild double braces its 12 string line.

My 72 F112 has a double truss rod......standard bracing I believe, but don't quote me on that.... :wink: Steffan

fungusyoung

Reaction score
Guild Total
LOVE my '73 F112. Can you play the one you're interested in before you buy? That's sort of important unless the seller can get you detailed photos because the price of the guitar should factor in whether or not it's in need of a neck re-set soon or in the not too distant future. The obvious signs are if the guitar already has high (uncomfortable action) &/or if there's very little room left to raise the saddle. Detailed pictures posted here should get you quite a few responses.

At this point, mine will need a neck re-set within 5 years or so. I love it so much, I won't even hesitate to have it done. It feels about the same as a dread to me size-wise. It's longer, similar width & a mini jumbo shape. Here's mine next to a GF30 & a DV6:

IMG_0163.jpg

Another shot by itself!
F112.jpg

One next to a JF30-12 (full sized jumbo):
JF30-12andF112.jpg

What blows me away the most about mine is just how easy it is to handle & comfortable it is to play. When I bought it I figured it would mainly be used for recording, but I've honestly used it much more for playing out at this point because it does stay in tune, is so playable & it sounds amazing! I get compliments on it's tone every time out (and I suck!).

frettedstrings

Reaction score
Fungusyoung,

The F 112 is in a store in the New York and I live in Michigan, just south of Detroit. I hear that the guitar sounds very good and that everything is in very good shape. I have a friend that can do any set up work that may need to be done if needed. Your F 112 looks great. I'm trying to sell a couple of guitars in order to put some money together to buy this F 112. I got sort of spoiled when I bought and got used to the sound of my D 35. :D

frettedstrings

Reaction score
Littlesongs,

The F 112 that I would like looks a lot like your 1969. I notice that there is an insignia on the head stock on your 1976. I notice that on other Guild Guitars. My 1975 D 35 doesn't have that either. Still hoping to sell my other two acoustic guitars soon. Both are really nice guitars but GUILD has spoiled me.

killdeer43

Reverential Member
Reaction score
littlesongs said:
I'm still knocked out that you made it look like they meant it to be that way all along. :shock: :)

I guess that would make your workshop Northwesterly. :wink:
Thanks, David.
Wouldn't do to show her head and not the rest of that lovely body!

f112nt6onthecouch0001.jpg

Katrina on the couch

She's a beauty and a joy to play! So thanks, again, for your part in the drama. :D
Joe

frettedstrings

Reaction score
The Guitar Center in Buffalo New York, sold the F112 that I was interested in. I need to sell two other guitars inorder to put the money together for another GUild Guitar. I am selling my 1991 Takamine Jasmine and my 2007 Austin 12 String, locally. So, now I am on the look out for another Guild 12 string to drool over ! Still loving my 1975 Guild D35.

G

Unregistered
User deleted by their request
For what it's worth, I purchased a 1973 F112 sunburst in Tennessee new along with the F 50 as a performance pair. Both Guilds were used regularly on stage for ten years until retired for Ovation Custom Legends. The F112 with the mahogany back and sides was a wonderful background rhythm instrument. I found it warmer than rosewood or maple models with less chime and more of a "sandy" sound. It is true that the action was great for the first five frets, after that things were a little more strenuous. However, this guitar never required any maintenance or adjustment during its performance life with me. It was traded in on an Ovation Custom Legend 12-string in 1984. The body style was odd in that it was shaped like the Auditorium or Orchestra models, but with the bout was only 15 in or so with standard depth and a larger sound hole. No markings on the rosewood fretboard except small dots on the binding. I never tuned it up to concert, used a capo when necessary. Great Guild sustain when used with microphone, but less brightness than larger models.