Strings

Jeff

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
RussD said:
where are you buying them?
Here :)

Russ,

The 25 packs are $15.00 cheaper at Just Strings http://www.juststrings.com/dad-ej16-b25.html

My Daughter gave me 3 sets of Thomastik Infield Spectrum Bronze strings for Christmas. I put a set on the GF 60 & it wasn't good. I took them off right away.

However, a couple weeks ago I put a set on the G37 & it's a pretty sweet match. Can't really describe what it is but there's a noticeable difference in the voice, sweeter & more articulate. I like em.

12 - 54 they are, G37's are pretty tough, maybe a little heavy for a fine vintage rosewood dread. Thomastik makes them in lighter guages tho.

Thomastiks are pricey, before becoming a born again believer, when this set wears out I'm gonna change back to the Dean Markley Blue Steels I was using before. Might be just the phase of the moon.

I usually buy strings from my local shop. Can't get Thomastiks in my town, Just Strings http://www.juststrings.com/ is my go to mail order stop, selection is mind boggling.

Thomastik home here http://www.thomastik-infeld.com/guitars/index.html

West R Lee

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Great! :shock: :shock: And that's where I just placed my order. Jeff, do you know if you can order any type strings in bulk there?......let me check around. I paid $80 bucks for 12 sets of strings and you guys are getting 25 sets for about the same price? :shock: :lol:

Thanks Jeffrey,
West

Jeff

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
West R Lee said:
...: And that's where I just placed my order. Jeff, do you know if you can order any type strings in bulk there?......let me check around. I paid $80 bucks for 12 sets of strings and you guys are getting 25 sets for about the same price? :shock: :lol:

Thanks Jeffrey,
West

Looks like Just Strings sells 25 set bulk packs for $84.00,

here; http://www.juststrings.com/dad-ej16-b25.html

West R Lee

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Jeff said:
West R Lee said:
...: And that's where I just placed my order. Jeff, do you know if you can order any type strings in bulk there?......let me check around. I paid $80 bucks for 12 sets of strings and you guys are getting 25 sets for about the same price? :shock: :lol:

Thanks Jeffrey,
West

Looks like Just Strings sells 25 set bulk packs for $84.00,

here; http://www.juststrings.com/dad-ej16-b25.html

But I didn't see John Pearse strings sold in bulk Jeff.

West

Treem

Reaction score
Guild Total
Hola West!

Currently, my DV72 loves the Martin Marquis Meds but I'm going to try the DR HI BEAMS (med) on my DV72 tonight.

Stay tuned,

Treem 8)

West R Lee

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Treem said:
Hola West!

Currently, my DV72 loves the Martin Marquis Meds but I'm going to try the DR HI BEAMS (med) on my DV72 tonight.

Stay tuned,

Treem 8)

:lol: I love it......"stay tuned".....catchy! Welp, I've actually been toying with which strings to put on my DV's. I may try the dreaded Sunbeams on my DV72. Give us a report Tremmey?

Tremmey, you know I love you, and you know I don't know squat...........Do you have to put mediums on that beautiful, fragile DV72? :shock: :shock: ? Sorry, just worried about her, that's all. Man, I sure baby mine......guess I'm a little protective.

West

Ridgemont

Reaction score
Chazmo said:
Anyone try these? As a certified Ti geek, I have to admit I'm intrigued. Also, long life seems quite likely with Ti as it won't corrode. Also, I think it deals with stretching better (maybe) than steel. http://www.rohrtech.com/
hhhmmmm, sound reasonable. Toss a tad of titanium in the alloy and no more corrosion? Don't know much about electrochemistry but I would have thought that the remaining metals in their Ti alloy would still allow for the oxidation. The low tension does sound intriguing.

West R Lee

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Hmm.......pricey, I'd be curious about the acoustic properties of titanium? I do know that it's not an easy metal to work with....it's very difficult to cut and shape. Titanium is also very expensive....that explains the price. Much depends on the "alloys".

West

Treem

Reaction score
Guild Total
West R Lee said:
Tremmey, you know I love you, and you know I don't know squat...........Do you have to put mediums on that beautiful, fragile DV72? :shock: :shock: ? Sorry, just worried about her, that's all. Man, I sure baby mine......guess I'm a little protective.

West

I don't why but mediums on my DV72 feels like lights. I'm a very heavy strummer with a .88 pick and tone I get with the mediums.....uuweeee! :mrgreen:

Stay Tuned! 8)

Ian

Reaction score
Treem said:
West R Lee said:

West

I don't why but mediums on my DV72 feels like lights. I'm a very heavy strummer with a .88 pick and tone I get with the mediums.....uuweeee! :mrgreen:

Stay Tuned! 8)

Holy Shite a .88 pick !!! I thought only electric guys used picks that heavy ? Do you break many strings ?

kitniyatran

Reaction score
guitardude said:
Treem said:
West R Lee said:

West

Stay Tuned! 8)

Holy Shite a .88 pick !!! I thought only electric guys used picks that heavy ? Do you break many strings ?
I use around 1.5 on guitar and mandolin and hardly ever break a string.

Treem

Reaction score
Guild Total
guitardude said:
I also use .88 with the electric also....string breakage not much, maybe once or twice a year. Im really surprise I don't break many strings, maybe not in mediums. :mrgreen:

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
Treem said:
guitardude said:
I also use .88 with the electric also....string breakage not much, maybe once or twice a year. Im really surprise I don't break many strings, maybe not in mediums. :mrgreen:
Yah. It ain't how thick it is, it's how hard you pound it....er...uuuhh...well, just take my word for it!

5thumbs

Gold Supporting
Reaction score
Guild Total
Amazing timing, this thread. A few days ago it seemed as though the old D40 was starting to sound a little dull….

Duh! I haven’t changed strings since February. :oops: So on went a new set. From previous discussions here I had gone to JP PB lights. I had liked the D'Addarios , but a lot of people here seemed to lean towards the John Pearse strings, so I had ordered a few sets.

Yessir. That worked! As usual, she sounded a little bit bright at first, but since the old strings were deader than Cleopatra’s cat that shouldn’t have been a surprise.

So it’s been a couple of days now, and I am once again falling in love with the sound of this guitar. But experimenting is fun, so I’m tempted to try a set of the DR Rares next time, but have to ask – how long do they last? As you can see, I’m not exactly fanatic on changing strings.

Ian

Reaction score
Couldnt honestly say how long the DR's last, I'm only a recent convert. There was some press on AGF about sunbeams going dead real quick though.

Re picks, Yep I play mine pretty hard, I use Fender lights ( the celluloid type ones), break em pretty regular, but hey thats rock n roll !!!