Strings

hojo199

Reaction score
Elixir lights. Easiest on the fingers, last forever. The guitars have more than enough tone to notice any real difference in sustain or volume from a non-coated string.

valleyguy

Reaction score
Was a long time D'Addario user of PB lights and mediums (on the Martin). Always hated the initial bright sound of these strings, though.

Someone suggested John Pearse, I really liked them used them for years, but started getting some that sounded flat out of the package (too old?) so I switched to Martin SP PB lights and really like thier sound after a few days (Still too bright initially) and they last a pretty good amount of time. Been using them for a couple of years.

I was given some DR rares PB lights. Put them on my D50 two days ago. They did not have that initial too-bright sound, but it's too soon for me to pass judgment on them.

There have been several posts on the AGF recommending the DR sunbeams (vs the Rares). One has hex wire, the other round wire. Can't attest to their sonic difference. I will be buying some.

Anyone find a difference in string preference for a mahogany vs. a rosewood. Say one prefers phosphor bronze vs 80/20s? I was surprised to read West R Lee's 80/20 preference on rosewoods, I've always gravitated to PBs for rosewood as the 80/20s were too bright intialy them went flat quickly (is that just d'addarios?), I'll have to buy a set to try them out.

Never been an Elixir fan, but I put a set of Nanos on my GAD30 (mahogany small body) and they sound real good, so you never know.

Too many strings, too little time....

chazmo

Super Moderator
Gold Supporting
Reaction score
I still have yet to try my "Red" string set that I got from Strings and Beyond a while back. High copper content. Looking forward to 'em.

Yeah, the Thomastik strings are definitely an acquired taste. I tried Spectrums on my F-50 and liked 'em, but went back to Phosphor-Bronze recently.

West R Lee

Venerated Member
Reaction score
valleyguy said:
Was a long time D'Addario user of PB lights and mediums (on the Martin). Always hated the initial bright sound of these strings, though.

Someone suggested John Pearse, I really liked them used them for years, but started getting some that sounded flat out of the package (too old?) so I switched to Martin SP PB lights and really like thier sound after a few days (Still too bright initially) and they last a pretty good amount of time. Been using them for a couple of years.

I was given some DR rares PB lights. Put them on my D50 two days ago. They did not have that initial too-bright sound, but it's too soon for me to pass judgment on them.

There have been several posts on the AGF recommending the DR sunbeams (vs the Rares). One has hex wire, the other round wire. Can't attest to their sonic difference. I will be buying some.

Anyone find a difference in string preference for a mahogany vs. a rosewood. Say one prefers phosphor bronze vs 80/20s? I was surprised to read West R Lee's 80/20 preference on rosewoods, I've always gravitated to PBs for rosewood as the 80/20s were too bright intialy them went flat quickly (is that just d'addarios?), I'll have to buy a set to try them out.

Never been an Elixir fan, but I put a set of Nanos on my GAD30 (mahogany small body) and they sound real good, so you never know.

Too many strings, too little time....

Not sure about string preference on a mahogany vs a rosewood guitar, but I've only found one guitar I don't care for JP 80/20's on.......that is my maple D30. As far as the 80/20's, I don't use a flatpick, if I did, I'd probably prefer the PB's, but I pick bare fingered and the 80/20's feel and sound great fingerpicked.

West

plaidseason

Reaction score
Add my name to the list of DR Rares. I'm been using Medium/12s on my F44 for years.

I've happily used the Pre-Alloys on my DV4 and like those as well.

I've never used Sunbeams, but from the description (long sustain), they seem right up my alley.

-Chris

yettoblaster

Reaction score
West R Lee said:
...Not sure about string preference on a mahogany vs a rosewood guitar, but I've only found one guitar I don't care for JP 80/20's on.......that is my maple D30. As far as the 80/20's, I don't use a flatpick, if I did, I'd probably prefer the PB's, but I pick bare fingered and the 80/20's feel and sound great fingerpicked.

West

I flatpick as well as fingerpick and followed YOUR recommendation on JP 80/20's on my Tacoma-built D40 and am very pleased with everything about them on that guitar.

NOW you're gonna change on me? :twisted:

I have gotten almost a solid month out of the 80/20's (including several gigs) and they make my guitar sound like it should. I have been waiting for them to go dead and they've only slightly diminished on the high end sizzle. Still play in tune though I can feel the divots from fretting. I'm going to change them only because I'm due to pop one on a gig where I bash on them pretty hard (no mic's). They still sound good at home couch noodling with fingers too. These are the first acoustic strings I haven't felt like the sound died so had to be changed.

I've heard of some "helix" wrapped strings but can't remember if they're DR's or Dean Markley's? Supposed to be less squeaky, but I can't remember what thread (or what site) somebody was raving about them. :?

West R Lee

Venerated Member
Reaction score
yettoblaster said:
West R Lee said:
...Not sure about string preference on a mahogany vs a rosewood guitar, but I've only found one guitar I don't care for JP 80/20's on.......that is my maple D30. As far as the 80/20's, I don't use a flatpick, if I did, I'd probably prefer the PB's, but I pick bare fingered and the 80/20's feel and sound great fingerpicked.

West

I flatpick as well as fingerpick and followed YOUR recommendation on JP 80/20's on my Tacoma-built D40 and am very pleased with everything about them on that guitar.

NOW you're gonna change on me? :twisted:

I have gotten almost a solid month out of the 80/20's (including several gigs) and they make my guitar sound like it should. I have been waiting for them to go dead and they've only slightly diminished on the high end sizzle. Still play in tune though I can feel the divots from fretting. I'm going to change them only because I'm due to pop one on a gig where I bash on them pretty hard (no mic's). They still sound good at home couch noodling with fingers too. These are the first acoustic strings I haven't felt like the sound died so had to be changed.

I've heard of some "helix" wrapped strings but can't remember if they're DR's or Dean Markley's? Supposed to be less squeaky, but I can't remember what thread (or what site) somebody was raving about them. :?

:oops: No no no Yetto :lol: , I'm not changing. I'm sure I'll always be a JP 80/20 light fan, in fact I'm going to order about 6 sets with this order. I have just never found myself with this much time on my hands and am looking for something to do. It's just an experiment for me. In fact, I played my DV72 yesterday, and I'll bet the JP 80/20's on it are almost a year old and those strings still just blow me away. They don't even look that tarnished. And by the way, I put a new set, my last, of JP 80/20 on my D55 last week :) .

As far as "experimental strings"....here's what I've got, and what I will order. Again, I won't order anything I've tried or any coated strings. I won't use mediums, but will fudge and try some light mediums. Guys, thanks for your input. I'll report back.

DR Rare RPM11
GHS
DR Sunbeams
JP 610 L/M Silk........really interested to see how these will feel and sound. I may put a set of these on the DV72 or DV73.

West

valleyguy

Reaction score
West R Lee said:
Not sure about string preference on a mahogany vs a rosewood guitar, but I've only found one guitar I don't care for JP 80/20's on.......that is my maple D30. As far as the 80/20's, I don't use a flatpick, if I did, I'd probably prefer the PB's, but I pick bare fingered and the 80/20's feel and sound great fingerpicked.

West

Ah, fingerpick vs flatpick makes a BIG difference. I use a pick, so am not looking for as bright a sound. Might explain my preference for Phosphor Bronze.

West R Lee

Venerated Member
Reaction score
OK guys, I've placed my order.....and Yetto, I ordered 7 sets of JP 80/20 lights :) . As I was placing my order, I found myself in a bit of a dilemma as I looked back and didn't really see a particular GHS string endorsed by anyone here, so for the record I got a couple of sets that sounded interesting. On the GHS strings, I ordered a set of "Silk and Bronze" light, and a set of 80/20 "bright bronze' lights.

I also ordered a set of DR Rare RPML11, a set of DR "Sunbeams", and a set of John Pearse 610 L/M silk per Markus.

Should be interesting and help pass the time. Thank you for your input guys.

West

Ridgemont

Reaction score
Ridgemont said:
West R Lee said:
Has anyone tried GHS strings?

Yes. I really like GHS Bright Bronze. They are heavy lights .12-.54 and sound great my D25. I haven't tried a rosewood dread since I don't have one. I also tried them on a smaller OM (my old GAD30) but they seemed to max out the guitar and everything sounded muddy. On the D25, they were very bright and crisp at first but then mellowed to a rounder, fuller sound.
Here is my endorsement for GHS Bright Bronze. :wink:

West R Lee

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Ridgemont said:
Ridgemont said:
West R Lee said:
Has anyone tried GHS strings?

Yes. I really like GHS Bright Bronze. They are heavy lights .12-.54 and sound great my D25. I haven't tried a rosewood dread since I don't have one. I also tried them on a smaller OM (my old GAD30) but they seemed to max out the guitar and everything sounded muddy. On the D25, they were very bright and crisp at first but then mellowed to a rounder, fuller sound.
Here is my endorsement for GHS Bright Bronze. :wink:

Sorry Ridge, I missed that, but thank you, and I'll report back.

West

yettoblaster

Reaction score
West R Lee said:
OK guys, I've placed my order.....and Yetto, I ordered 7 sets of JP 80/20 lights :) ...

Good! I'm glad John Pearse's estate and widow will still be eating, and hopefully making strings for a long time to come.

I have no problem with successful companies like D'addario and GHS, etc., but I always liked JP phos lights in the past, and now of course the 80/20's. Tks again for the heads up on those. :)

Standing down from Defcon 1...

:wink:

kitniyatran

Reaction score
West R Lee said:
OK guys, I've placed my order.....and Yetto, I ordered 7 sets of JP 80/20 lights :) . As I was placing my order, I found myself in a bit of a dilemma as I looked back and didn't really see a particular GHS string endorsed by anyone here, so for the record I got a couple of sets that sounded interesting. On the GHS strings, I ordered a set of "Silk and Bronze" light, and a set of 80/20 "bright bronze' lights.

I also ordered a set of DR Rare RPML11, a set of DR "Sunbeams", and a set of John Pearse 610 L/M silk per Markus.

Should be interesting and help pass the time. Thank you for your input guys.

West
Just found the thread, & was thinking you might want to try GHS Silk and Bronze, & I see you're going to. JP also makes a Silk and Bronze set.

Dr. Spivey

Reaction score
West R Lee said:
Dadaist said:
West,
After using Martin strings since the first Nixon Administration, I tried a set of DR Sunbeams on my D50 and after two months of use I've got them now on my D55.

David

What the difference between DR "Rare" and "Sunbeams"....do ya know Dad?

West

The Sunbeams are wound on a round, rather than hexagonal core. This makes them somewhat easier to fret. Makes mediums fret almost like lights. I tried a couple sets and liked them, just didn't like them quite as well as JP's.

DO NOT cut round core strings before winding them, or they will unwind. Instructions are printed on the inside of the Sunbeam package, and no, I did not learn this the hard way. :lol:

West R Lee

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Well I'm looking forward to trying different strings. For comparison, I'll try them on my rosewood dreads.....they're all about the same guitar.

West

RussD

Reaction score
Guild Total
I've started buying D'Addario Phosphor Bronze lights in the 25-set "Bulk Shop" box.
I use a couple of large dessicant bags and a hydrostatic bag around the box to keep 'em dry.
And I really like being able to grab one string at a time when I break one.
$90 for 25 sets online comes out to $3.60 a set or so...

West R Lee

Venerated Member
Reaction score
RussD said:
I've started buying D'Addario Phosphor Bronze lights in the 25-set "Bulk Shop" box.
I use a couple of large dessicant bags and a hydrostatic bag around the box to keep 'em dry.
And I really like being able to grab one string at a time when I break one.
$90 for 25 sets online comes out to $3.60 a set or so...

Good gosh Russ....... where are you buying them?

West

Donal

Reaction score
"On the mediums, it's a personal rule. I won't put 'em on one of my guitars. I don't need the volume, love the way lights feel, and prefer to not put the added stress on my guitar necks since I don't have to."

My sentiments exactly :D

Don.