Strings

sitka_spruce

Reaction score
Skommarbo, Arkhyttan, St Skedvi, Säter, Dalarna, S
West: You asked about GHS strings before and I would direct you towards the Laurence Juber Signature Bronze. The body of PB yet the zing of 80/20 that makes the notes kind of go 'pop'. Very vivid string.

If too up front for your liking I would suggest the Dean Markley Blue Steel Acoustic PB that is mellower and more liquid and bluesy sounding. Lots of vibe and attitude yet not quite as agressive as the GHS LJSB.

I don't remember if you ever tried a cryo string, but if you haven't I would suggest these two. Brutal drive and definition and could potentially be a little much for you - but then only you can tell... ;)

kitniyatran

Reaction score
adorshki said:
MandoSquirrel said:
valleyguy said:
We cannot guarantee top performance of your instrument if strings other than Guild, or their equivalent, are used.

That's just a marketing ploy, personally I think the Guild strings do not bring out the top performance of ANY guitar..

This from a guy who looks like a toilet seat?! :lol: :lol: :lol:
HEY! That's gettin kinda personal! Ever wonder why I don't have an avatar for example? At least you look like some kind of recognizable mammal! :lol:
Thank you, sir(doubly). And, at least it's a Guitar toilet seat! :D

West R Lee

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Just a string update. The GHS Silk and Bronze lights were installed on the D30 last night.....I like them, like 'em a lot. I had been playing Thomastick Plectrums on it, another Silk and Steel string with an incredible feel, but at about $24/set, these GHS strings were about $7.00 as I recall. I chose the D30 for these as that guitar responds well to the silk and steel strings and these GHS strings have a bit brighter tone than the Plectrums and a great feel, at 1/3 the price.....we may have a winner.

West

wontox

Reaction score
Regarding strings, I was entranced by Elixirs a while ago for a couple of string changes on acoustics, especially since they eliminated most slide noise and lasted ( or didn't degrade) a long time. After changing back to D'Addario P H lights, I did realize there was less sparkle and crispness, to my ear anyway, with the Elixirs. Additionally, I didn't care for the peeling and flaking effect that happens with the coated strings.

My D-40 isn't picky about strings, sounds good with anything I've tried, mostly D' PH 12's. I have another favorite acoustic on which I use the D' twelves with a 13 for the sixth string, gives it more bottom while still maintaining playability. Haven't changed that low E for ages, just clean it off. Amazing what a diff a thousanth of an inch makes. I use '10's with a 12 sixth and fifth on another acoustic ('67 Vox Country Western) which is mostly amplified, and with the extra lights and bolt-on neck, has the action and feel of an electric.

Wontox

sitka_spruce

Reaction score
Skommarbo, Arkhyttan, St Skedvi, Säter, Dalarna, S
West R Lee said:
Just a string update. The GHS Silk and Bronze lights were installed on the D30 last night.....I like them, like 'em a lot. I had been playing Thomastick Plectrums on it, another Silk and Steel string with an incredible feel, but at about $24/set, these GHS strings were about $7.00 as I recall. I chose the D30 for these as that guitar responds well to the silk and steel strings and these GHS strings have a bit brighter tone than the Plectrums and a great feel, at 1/3 the price.....we may have a winner.

West
Hey, Westy! Anouncing a winner already, eh? Which ones did qualify for the final and what's your thoughts about them?

taabru45

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Thinking back about a century, when I was learning guitar, price determined purchase....and I rememberr Guild, Martin, LaBella, Black Diamond, mostly...don't think there was a huge choice out there, I used Guilds, and this was in the late 60's...$1.80 a set...but I think the D 50 I had would have sounded great with fishing line....clothes line or anything else that would fit between a nut and a saddle...and I'm referring to the nut on the guitar, not with the guitar.... :lol: ..you want to know if I regret not now having that braz beauty....dumb youth.... :!:

West R Lee

Venerated Member
Reaction score
sitka_spruce said:
[quote="West R Lee":1xfhn9m0]Just a string update. The GHS Silk and Bronze lights were installed on the D30 last night.....I like them, like 'em a lot. I had been playing Thomastick Plectrums on it, another Silk and Steel string with an incredible feel, but at about $24/set, these GHS strings were about $7.00 as I recall. I chose the D30 for these as that guitar responds well to the silk and steel strings and these GHS strings have a bit brighter tone than the Plectrums and a great feel, at 1/3 the price.....we may have a winner.

West
Hey, Westy! Anouncing a winner already, eh? Which ones did qualify for the final and what's your thoughts about them?[/quote:1xfhn9m0]

Hey Sitka, well so far I haven't had the opportunity to try all of the various strings I bought, gosh I think I bought about 6 sets of strings of various brands and makeup per the suggestions from other members here that I was soliciting in this thread. All of those strings were new to me as I didn't want to try ANYTHING I'd tried before knowing I had ruled them out through trial and error on my own.

I bought several sets of the one string that is closest to my heart which are the JP 80/20 lights, but on the others, and sometimes this is hard for me to do, I've kept an open mind and bought based on those suggestions that for one reason or another, sounded like they might appeal to me of different guitars.

Again, for my own reasons, I've tried various strings on different guitars. I'm not a big maple guitar fan, but my D30 has this incredible playability. As I've said, the JP 80/20's were and still are my favorite string, but I've never cared for them on maple guitars.....the wood and the strings just don't compliment each other in my opinion, so after trying JP's on the JF65 and the D30, I've settled on silk strings there. My go to string on the D30 had always been Thomastick Plectrums, but my gosh, they are so expensive......I was looking for an alternative. I think I've found it in the GHS silk and steel.....what a sound and feel.

I've looked at the rosewood dreads as being basically the same guitar....the D55, the DV72 and DV73. Historically I've always loved the JP 80/20 there, but have been open to trying other strings during my experiment. My favorite player, the DV 72 got the JP 610 silks, I like them. I'm not sure they'd make me turn from the 80/20's, but their sound and feel appeals to me. One thing that did surprise me about them is that it seemed it took a while for them to stretch....like a couple of weeks, but once there, they sound beautiful.

The JF65 got the DR Sunbeams, again looking for an alternative that would make me love to play that guitar. I'll be honest, the sound of that jumbo maple has just never done it for me, so on that one, it is a real search. The Sunbeams on that particular maple guitar still don't do it for me, so the search continues for that guitar.

I've still got a couple of sets suggested by the guys that were good enough to give them here, DR Rare PB's and a set of GHS Bright Bronze, we'll see where they end up, but this has been my experiment in keeping an open mind and trying some of those strings that the rest of you guys really like. I value your opinions and am big enough to admit that I learn from the rest of you everyday. Thanks guys, you've made this fun. And now to put icing on the cake, I'm experimenting with alternate tunings....these things are rejuvinating my desire to play, along with teaching me a great deal.

West

taabru45

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
I could pride myself on being a day late and a dollar short....fun stuff eh West... :D Steffan

West R Lee

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Yes sir it is. Two experiment is on the audio, first that's the DV72 with the JP 610 silk strings that Markus recommended, and secondly, today is the first time I've played with "Drop D". Just havin' a good time.....and learning in the process :)

West

hojo199

Reaction score
Dr. Spivey said:
[quote="West R Lee":u510o8zk]
Dadaist said:
West,
After using Martin strings since the first Nixon Administration, I tried a set of DR Sunbeams on my D50 and after two months of use I've got them now on my D55.

David

What the difference between DR "Rare" and "Sunbeams"....do ya know Dad?

West

The Sunbeams are wound on a round, rather than hexagonal core. This makes them somewhat easier to fret. Makes mediums fret almost like lights. I tried a couple sets and liked them, just didn't like them quite as well as JP's.

DO NOT cut round core strings before winding them, or they will unwind. Instructions are printed on the inside of the Sunbeam package, and no, I did not learn this the hard way. :lol:[/quote:u510o8zk]

Well now, I just ordered two sets of Sunbeams and two sets of Rares. I'm thinking the Rares will go on the DV52 to give it some more bang and the Sunbeams on the Martin D28 to make it less cumbersome to play (that is AFTER the neck reset). :D
Thanks, All!

P-E-Z

Reaction score
I use Adamas 1818 on my Guild D-25

I also like Dean Markly Alchemy Golden Bronze

bedell

Reaction score
Ridgemont said:
Ridgemont said:
West R Lee said:
Has anyone tried GHS strings?

Yes. I really like GHS Bright Bronze. They are heavy lights .12-.54 and sound great my D25. I haven't tried a rosewood dread since I don't have one. I also tried them on a smaller OM (my old GAD30) but they seemed to max out the guitar and everything sounded muddy. On the D25, they were very bright and crisp at first but then mellowed to a rounder, fuller sound.
Here is my endorsement for GHS Bright Bronze. :wink:

I am very picky about strings and after finding dead strings in every D'addario EXP set I was buying I switched to GHS Bright Bronze for my Guild F-47M. The GHS Bright Bronze 80/20's make a powerful combination on a maple guitar. Unfortunately, they are hard to find and I usually have to order them online.

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
bedell said:
I am very picky about strings and after finding dead strings in every D'addario EXP set I was buying I switched to GHS Bright Bronze for my Guild F-47M. The GHS Bright Bronze 80/20's make a powerful combination on a maple guitar. Unfortunately, they are hard to find and I usually have to order them online.
I think your problem was the coating not the string, just my .02. 80/20's are 'sposed to be brighter anyway though.

lcjones

Reaction score
I didn't read through all the posts on strings here so someone else might have mentioned ......

...but for years I used the Martin Bluegrass strings on my D25. I loved them. A few years back the music shops in my area quit selling them and heck, I'm smack in the middle of bluegrass country. I've tried an un-gawdly number of brand strings and even tried bake yer own sets and could never quite get the tone I wanted out of the D25 .

This past summer I started using Martin's Eric Clapton acoustic blend. #13's - Medium. And I love them. The D25 sounds awesome with them on. As most know, the D25 tends to be on the bassy side of the sound spectrum. The Martin EC's truly bring out the upper end with bright tones keeping that low end that I love.

I go to the local music shop every week and buy out his stock of them. Usually 2-4 packs. I've got 4 set's sitting here right now. He now keeps them in stock just for me. For me and my playing routine, these are absolutely the best strings I have found.

Chap