High prices of the new Guilds; maybe should shop around.

Nicky Techniques

Reaction score
Thanks for the welcome, capnjuan....
yes, upon further inspection/recollection, that guitar MUST have been the D-55. For whatever reason, it was going for 2300, unless I'm blind. Perhaps it was used, I didn't ask... but it looked unscathed. The MSRP of 3+k would more accurately correspond with the guitar's workmanship, and also indicates that what I spent on mine was probably fair. :p
I have seen equivalent f47rc's made in NH going for 3+k new... the "r" stands for Rosewood... mine is Maple. I'm pretty sure maple is a good thing, even though rosewood might cost more. I am not sure of this, but it's possible that f47mc's and f47rc's are both discontinued at this point. This is all irrelevant, I am completely satisfied with my axe; if it had been made in Antarctica, that would be fine. I hope I didn't ruffle any Connecticut fans' feathers. The reputation of Tacoma Guilds is hotly debated, it seems. What is nice about them is that you can get them new (with warranty) for about two-thirds the cost of an equivalent New Hartford model. I'll tell you what really sold me- and I am slightly ashamed of this- it was the Ice-Tea sunburst color. The fact that it purrs is sort of a stroke of luck!

capnjuan

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
Hi Nicky: I don't think it's clear yet what Guild NH intends to produce and what it won't. Right now, they're caught up in simultaneously producing their top-of-the-line 'Traditional' flagship models and introducing the 'Standard' models; 'Traditional' Guild guitars but with less labor-intensive, cost-driving bling.

That your model isn't in production says more about Guild cautiously getting its feet on the ground than it does about how Guild views its future as a source of cutaway guitars ... regardless of what they're made of or how dressy they are. It's a fact that Guild had QA/QC problems at Tacoma and it's also a fact that they produced a lot of high-grade, good-sounding guitars there too and there are dozens of happy Tacoma Guild owners here to prove it.

Yes, maple is a good thing and so are mahogany and rosewood; some people like Brie, others like Gouda, and still others prefer Swiss ... there is no objective standard for 'better'.

Joining in the NY v. Hoboken v. Westerly v. Corona v. Tacoma v. NH LTG food fight is optional ... that is, you don't have to fling your cottage cheese if you don't want to. :wink:

chazmo

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Correction, gents... New Hartford is definitely building F-47s! I've seen 'em, but not played 'em. They even have the Florentine cutaway version. They've been doing this for at least a year, maybe more.

Nicky, you'd have to do an apples to apples comparison to really get a feel for any differences resulting in the change of production facility. The F-47 is a completely different body style and of course maple vs. rosewood is a huge difference... For that matter, if you compare D-55 to D-50, which have similar specs and shape, you will be amazed by the differences.

I'm not speaking to your point about "opening up" because for me it's simple... I do not buy new guitars that don't absolutely knock my socks off right from the shelf. I have heard of people buying guitars and feeling that they've transformed after a few days/months/years... I question whether that's opening up or just strings, humidity, or even just their ears.

Nicky Techniques

Reaction score
Yes, maple is a good thing and so are mahogany and rosewood; some people like Brie, others like Gouda, and still others prefer Swiss ... there is no objective standard for 'better'.

Joining in the NY v. Hoboken v. Westerly v. Corona v. Tacoma v. NH LTG food fight is optional ... that is, you don't have to fling your cottage cheese if you don't want to. :wink:

My personal favorite is raw cow's milk Morbier cheese! And I promise not to throw it.

capnjuan

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
Nicky Techniques said:

My personal favorite is raw cow's milk Morbier cheese! And I promise not to throw it.
Hi Nicky; Chazmo is right - the F47C is back in production ... I guess I don't spend as much time on Guild's website as I should :oops: ... as I type with one hand, I'm down doing one-handed pushups with the other :wink:

You've got the right idea; if you like your cheese ... then don't throw it.