Matt Guitar Murphy - Blues Brothers Guild

GAD

Reverential Morlock
Über-Morlock
Reaction score
Guild Total
I've seen this movie at least 638 times, but tonight as I'm watching, I saw this for the first time:

What is it? X500?

MattMurphyGuild.jpg

gilded

Reaction score
On July 23rd, 2007, Hans said it was an A500B with a floating DeArmond pickup!!

GAD

Reverential Morlock
Über-Morlock
Reaction score
Guild Total
gilded said:
On July 23rd, 2007, Hans said it was an A500B with a floating DeArmond pickup!!

Well that's an oddly specific answer. :)

Cool - thanks for the info!

gilded

Reaction score
Oddly specific? GAD, how droll!

The issue came up a few years ago in a thread about a Guild sighting in the Blues Brothers. I remembered that someone said Murphy's guitar was an A-500. I thought it was Hans, but I wasn't sure, so I did an LTG search under 'matt murphy'.

Sure enough, Hans' answer came up from July 23rd of 2007. I thought I would credit Hans, since it was his knowledge I was providing for the benefit and edification of the 'rest of us'.

GAD

Reverential Morlock
Über-Morlock
Reaction score
Guild Total
Droll? Me? Never.

If by "droll", you mean I carefully commented on my own inability to use the search feature by feigning ignorance about your oddly specific reply, then perhaps just this once, I might have been. :)

krysh

Guildarist in the mod squad
Reaction score
Guild Total
funny, yesterday I was watching the movie again, too, and asked myself the same question about the model. :lol:

this forum is great! :D

Thunderface

Reaction score
It is, isn't it? I might have to watch that movie again, just to see the A500B with the floating DeArmond pickup.

yettoblaster

Reaction score
Although the Blues Brothers movie didn't show much from him, Matt Murphy could really play.
I saw him do some astoundingly tasty stuff when he was with James Cotton, c 1972.
Back then he was a skinny little guy with terrific chops, as-in uniquely "WOW" stuff he'd just throw in and make it look easy.

AlohaJoe

Reaction score
Murphy has been less active since he suffered a stroke on stage while performing in Nashville in 2003 — he finished his set performing with one hand. A benefit was mounted by notable musicians of Memphis and Nashville. Murphy now resides in Miami, Florida. He has been playing in Florida with two young proteges Tim O'Donnell and Darrell Raines, and performed with his nephew Floyd in the Florida Keys during the summer of 2009.

Matt has been on the comeback trail with a scheduled performance reunion with James Cotton at the 2010 Chicago Blues Festival and a full schedule to follow for summer and fall 2010.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Matt_Murphy_(blues_guitarist)
Too cool:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rxmyFGrR9V4

taabru45

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Sure enough, Hans' answer came up from July 23rd of 2007. I thought I would credit Hans, since it was his knowledge I was providing for the benefit and edification of the 'rest of us'.[/quote]

.........so I've beed edified? :shock: :shock: :shock: :? :lol: Steffan

G

Unregistered
User deleted by their request
Matt is a good friend of mine. He is playing an A 350 1968 beautiful guitar. One of the nicest I've ever played!

fronobulax

Bassist, GAD and the Hot Mess Mods
Reaction score
Guild Total
mgc3 said:
Matt is a good friend of mine. He is playing an A 350 1968 beautiful guitar. One of the nicest I've ever played!

Nice to hear. And welcome to LTG. Tell us more about Matt's Guild(s) and yours, if you'd like.

krysh

Guildarist in the mod squad
Reaction score
Guild Total
fronobulax said:
mgc3 said:

Nice to hear. And welcome to LTG. Tell us more about Matt's Guild(s) and yours, if you'd like.
+1 :D

Guild Dawg

Reaction score
Guild Total
Nice guitar, but what I'd really like to have is one of those Uncle Tom's Tavern t-shirts like the one Matt is wearing in the scenes with Aretha Franklin.

chazmo

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Dredging up a very old thread, but I was just watching Blues Brothers tonight and caught the scene when the band transforms its gear to back up Cab Calloway, which is what that picture of Matt is from.

chazmo

Super Moderator
Reaction score
The funny thing is, I've seen snippets of the movie on television, where they edit it to death and I've forgotten how funny it really is. Nice to see it in it's original form. What an outstanding cast, and even a Guild cameo!!!! :)