New guy with some questions about my most recent Starfire

eltuce

Reaction score
Hey, hey, like the subject says, new fella here, real name is Tommy. I was a drummer first but have been messing with guitars since about '90. Anyway, I recently acquired this gorgeous Starfire with inlays that I have never seen before. I'm assuming it must have been a custom order of sorts and was wondering if any of you experts out there might be able to tell me a little more about it. I can't help but wonder if it was once owned by someone famous. I also own a red sparkle Starfire IV which I'm guessing might have been discussed here when it was on ebay a while back. So here's some pics of the latest. I already know the bridge was replaced and I don't think the tuners are original. Any help would be greatly appreciated, thanks in advance.

IMG_7616.jpg

IMG_7614.jpg

hansmoust

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Hello Tommy,

Welcome! That looks like a nice early '60s Starfire. I don't think I've ever seen an early single cutaway Starfire with a fingerboard like that. If you could give me the complete model designation that's written on the label and the complete serial number, I might be able to find it back in the original ledgers of 'final assembly'.

Also... can you post a photo that shows the complete guitar, headstock included?

Sincerely,

Hans Moust
http://www.guitarsgalore.nl

eltuce

Reaction score
Sure thing, here ya go! I was having a hard time getting a good shot of the whole guitar without glare so I kinda gave up and just used the best one I had.

1s.jpg

2s.jpg

3s.jpg

4s.jpg

I'm pretty sure you can read the label but just in case, it says Model Starfire III, Serial #19062, 1/19/63.

krysh

Guildarist in the mod squad
Reaction score
Guild Total
welcome and congrats to your great guitars.
I'd like to see pix of your sf-4, too! :D

hansmoust

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
eltuce said:
4s.jpg

I'm pretty sure you can read the label but just in case, it says Model Starfire III, Serial #19062, 1/19/63.

Hello Tommy,

Sorry for the slight delay in getting back with you. I've looked hard in my Guild files and I went through a lot of the old ledgers but I have not been able to find your guitar. I did find something though, that might explain some of it.

First I started looking in my serial number files and I did find a whole lot of Starfires from that same batch with serial numbers that were all very close. I found most of the numbers between # 19059 and # 19135. Most of them were finished around April 1962. They were all Starfire IIs and IIIs but I could not find your number.
It is possible that your guitar was finished a long time after the other ones but it is more likely that your guitar never was finished.

The reason I think that your guitar was never finished is because I found another guitar with the same serial number. It was not unusual for Guild to re-use a serial number, if the guitar with that number was not going to be finished because some problems already had been spotted during the production process. So the number would be used again for all kinds of products that would need a serial number as well. I've seen many Guild guitar amps from the '60s that had oval labels glued to the inside with a serial number that looked like a regular guitar serial number. I think that those are re-used serial numbers as well. After all, at Guild serial numbers did not really have a dating purpose within the production process. It's just a number by which a product could be identified and accounted for in the books.

Anyway, during the '60s Guild did a lot of business with Hagstrom from Sweden. They bought pickups and hardware from them and they even distributed guitars that were made in Sweden.
Here's a label I found in my photofile that was glued to the inside of a Bjarton guitar:

BjartonGuild_label.jpg

As you can see it is the same serial number as your guitar with an appropriate label from that particular period. Note the 'Made in Sweden' ink stamp in red!

That still doesn't explain your guitar but I would think that your guitar was taken by one of the Guild employees, who added the ebony fingerboard. The 'stars' and the 'white/black/white' purfling lines were all parts that were available on other guitars during the sixties. Not in that configuration but that's why I think it was somebody who worked in the factory and who had access to these parts.

And by the way, I checked the 1/19/63 date that was added to the label at a later date.
It was a Saturday. There is no page in the ledgers of 'final assembly' for that day.
There is Friday January 18, 1963 and the next one is Monday January 21, 1963.
This means that there was no production in 'final assembly' on January 19, which makes it more likely that a worker did something there for himself!

I would like to add that I'm not convinced that this is what happened but it is the most likely scenario. At some point I might be able to figure out what exactly did happen to your guitar, but till then you will have to settle for this. As far as I'm concerned it's interesting enough.
These are the kind of things that I've seen happen over the years up till the closing of the Westerly plant in 2001. There are some ex-Westerly workers on this forum that can acknowledge the fact that these practices took place.

Now ...... tell me something more about that 'Sparkle' finished Starfire!

Sincerely,

Hans Moust
http://www.guitarsgalore.nl

GAD

Reverential Morlock
Über-Morlock
Reaction score
Guild Total
Cool stuff! Though I have to be honest, that sparkle SF hurts my teeth. :)

eltuce

Reaction score
I'll have to dig up the notes on the sparkle from when it was on ebay but it is a bit of a mystery since the serial number was lost long ago during the refinish. It suffered a minor accident since I got it and a couple of the knobs cracked so I've been on the lookout for some replacements. Ones that go to 9 and not 10 like the later models. I'm guessing the Bigsby was put on after since I believe most of these came with the Guild Bigsby.

-Tommy

eltuce

Reaction score
Hans, seriously, thanks so much for all of that!

bluesypicky

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Belated welcome eltuce! Beautiful and interesting guitars you have here!
Isn't it great to have Hans around? :wink:

eltuce

Reaction score
One more kinda kooky thing about that Starfire III is that the volume knob for the neck pickup is also an on/off switch. When you turn it all the way up it stops. Turn just a little harder and it clicks into position and the pickup is off.

matsickma

Reaction score
I had that "feature" on an old Aristocrat. It turned out the POT hard stop was damaged and it could continue be turned full circle. When in the "detent" position is was off. Eventually that became a intermittant and then hard failure.

M

Super Moderator
Platinum Supporting
Reaction score
Guild Total
You could alternately use Fender "no load" pots. When you have the volume or tone up all the way, it disconnects from the wiper and has a single run to the output jack, like having no pot in the circuit at all!