Would a '74 Starfire have been sprayed with nitro or poly?

jazzmang

Reaction score
Steve Hoffman said:
Does anyone know? What year did they lose the nitro and go poly?

Thanks very much!
I dont know but I'm drooling just thinking about your 1957 Artist Award! :lol: :oops:

Steve Hoffman

Reaction score
jazzmang said:
Steve Hoffman said:

Thanks very much!
I dont know but I'm drooling just thinking about your 1957 Artist Award! :lol: :oops:

Heh, I wanted a blonde AA from the '60's and when I unexpectedly found this '57 Guild JS for sale (original asking price an outrageous $14,500.00) I just wore the guy down to a reasonable price and then pounced. I think he sold me the guitar just because he was sick of my constant nagging. The case even has the original Guild case cover. Only one I've ever seen. They didn't sell many Johnny Smith blonde's in 1957 I'll bet ya. This could be IT, actually...

I got my two Benedetto/Guilds when Fender dumped the line a few years ago. They were practically throwing them away, believe it or not. Got them both for a song, couldn't resist..

At any rate, thanks to GAD for the nitro info. I have my eye on an early '70's Starfire and was curious about the finish. Still looks brand new...

Appreciate it!

GAD

Reverential Morlock
Über-Morlock
Reaction score
Guild Total
adorshki said:
Steve Hoffman said:
Thanks very much!
Between '02 and '04 in Corona.

I have a 97, 99 and 00 and I'm pretty sure that they're all poly. They're all hard like an M&M shell where as all the nitro guitars I've had were softer - smoother - sexier. :)

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
GAD said:
adorshki said:
Steve Hoffman said:
Thanks very much!
Between '02 and '04 in Corona.
I have a 97, 99 and 00 and I'm pretty sure that they're all poly. They're all hard like an M&M shell where as all the nitro guitars I've had were softer - smoother - sexier. :)
I'm gonna bow to your expertise. I was trusting memory from a recent posting, I shoulda just shut up. :oops:

GAD

Reverential Morlock
Über-Morlock
Reaction score
Guild Total
adorshki said:
I'm gonna bow to your expertise. I was trusting memory from a recent posting, I shoulda just shut up. :oops:

Don't confuse my limited experience with expertise. I'm no expert, just reporting what I saw. Nothings true until we hear or read it from Hans IMO.

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
GAD said:
adorshki said:
Don't confuse my limited experience with expertise. I'm no expert, just reporting what I saw. Nothings true until we hear or read it from Hans IMO.
You're a kind and gentle soul. Here's the post I was thinking of:
viewtopic.php?f=5&t=20145&p=217030#p217030
However now that you mention it I think Hans DID confirm that some poly was used in Westerly, it "sticks in my mind" because it was a surprise to me. But then I still get surprised by stuff I "thought I didn't know" lately, if you know what I mean! :lol:

Steve Hoffman

Reaction score
Danny of Calif. Vintage Guitars did an "In Crowd" tour of Fender and was eager to learn how they can shoot nitro again in California. They built a state-of-the-art spray booth that contains 100% of the emissions which is amazing. That is why you are seeing nitro sprayed Fenders now and not just Custom Shop creations either.

Too bad they couldn't do it during their Guild era in California...

Danny was also surprised how much of the guitar making process was still done by hand. Almost all of it!