I bought another Gibson GA30RV ....

capnjuan

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
I bought this '61 Gibson GA30RV on eBay back in May; it's been messing with me a little but I've got most of the bugs straightened out. In the '59-'62 Gibson tweed era, Gibson made their first three reverb amps; the GA19RVT (12" speaker, reverb, tremolo), the GA77 (6L6s, 15" speaker), and this GA30RV. The amp has twin 6V6s, 5Y3 rectifier, a choke, three 6EU7s in the preamp, a 12AU7 for reverb recovery/phase inverter, and 12" and 8" speakers.

Side01.jpg

It was delivered with a silver-frame 8" C8S and a 12" C12R ceramic speaker labeled 'Thomas Organ High Fidelity'.

Back01asdelivered.jpg

As-delivered C12R on the left; replacement '60 Jensen P12N on the right; re-coned and with a new voice coil ... Thanks again Valcotone!

12inspeakersfinal.jpg

I don't think the silver-frame 8" Jensen is original; delivered speaker on the left and an authentic original C8S on the right ... although it hardly matters; the original 8" speakers never had enough substance to withstand hard play. As delivered, both speakers had torn speaker cones ... a fact which the seller failed to mention :evil: :

8inspeaker03final.jpg

Although sort of new, it got new caps anyway (more on the caps below):

Newcaps02.jpg

The tube deck after getting cleaned with Flitz metal polish:

Tubedeck01.jpg

And the transformer deck after getting Flitzed:

Transformerdeck01.jpg

The control panel has some corrosion but most of the silk-screen is intact. Acrylic handle insert with original fabric courtesy of Wuzzatronics Sound Labs NZ ... these handles/inserts have all but vanished.

Controlpanel02.jpg

The vertical-mount reverb can and footswitch; can has a piece of foam underneath that stabilizes the springs when the handle is put in the travel position. (Wire in bag at left edge of pic courtesy of PhillySteve'Zamps; very high grade tinned hookup wire):

Reverb02.jpg

Web-lore has it that these mahogany footswitches were originally made from the scrap of mahogany left after making the cut-away on Les Paul bodies. FS below attached to member BluesDan's Gibson GA18. New FS will get sanded and a coat of Min-wax's Bombay Mahogany ... color is a near-perfect match:

BDsGA18FS.jpg

When I took the back off the amp, it had one too many electrolytic filter caps ... and not just an un-needed extra, the cap labeled 'A' below is connected where it's supposed to be except it's 100uf :shock: ... not 20uf as called for on the schematic and on the 5Y3 tube data sheet. The cap labeled 'B' is mindlessly connected to the other heater connection on the rectifier - it's not doing anything ... seller said 'mustta been my tech' ...

PS05fin.jpg

The pic in the upper left shows that the 4.7K / 1 watt resistor was missing; pic on upper right shows it in place. Also, instead of a 6.8K / 1 watt resistor, the amp had a 2.2K / 1 watt; I don't know if this is just unit-to-unit variation from on-the-fly changes or the effects of cowboys in the power supply. Has (the right number/value of) new caps and the B+ rail produces voltages per the schematic.

In praise of Gibson; there are thing a lot of people wish they'd done: used better output transformers, jacked/not hard-wired speakers and footswitches (the reverb footswitch in this amp is hard-wired to the end of the reverb can) and some other stuff but they had a useful fetish about grounding.

The green arrows below indicate the puddle grounds on the chassis where brought and soldered a ground wire from the preamp tube sockets. The red arrows indicate the rubber vibration-damping grommets they trapped under the rivets used to hold the sockets to the chassis. They went out of their way to take steps to mitigate microphonics ... a chronic source of shortened useful tube life.

Sockets02.jpg

Almost done: the 8" Celestion G8L on the left also courtesy of Wuzzatronics Sound Labs NZ in exchange for tools and parts. Runs very well and sounds like it's supposed; warm and fat and pure Gibson. With the larger speaker magnets and the choke, the amp holds on until 7/8 before it starts to break up ... that's pretty late for most 6V6/class B push-pull amps.

Back02final.jpg

The amp still needs a tone control and/or tone cap; with bass rolled off, don't get much twangy out of it. I also rebuilt the output section downstream of the phase inverter; .02 uf / Mallory 150 coupling caps, 220K grid bias resistors, and a new 6V6 cathode bias resistor and bypass cap; blew the first replacement bypass cap out (installed backwards?) and made the tubes glow blue and the rectifier bright orange ... :shock: :shock: Not good.

The links below were lifted out of a thread on the Gear Page; together they make up a promotional film done by Mullard; the legendary UK maker of vacuum tubes. Not a lot of tube theory or anything but the vids convey that, despite all kinds of automation, making/assembling tubes is almost as labor-intensive as it is tool-intensive. With the emergence of the transistor, a lot of Mullard's as well as US tube-making tooling was sold to eastern European countries; Yugoslavia, Hungary, among others.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xnvKCC6_VDQ
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qSDDNg4Zb3w
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8ztjI4geVRA
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wDgOuI-RzgY
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1qMvhxo6B84
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cyt9VvIzhSY

capnjuan

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
Hi Michael; thank you ... If you run across an old Gibson over there that you might be interested in, send me a link and I can suggest what it might be worth ... at least over here anyway.

They are warm and fat amps that reflect the tone of the era. If you were listening to the band in my avatar, the amp produces a tone like what you'd hear from that band. They are not necessarily spine-tingling like the Vincent but they do represent the best available on an assembly-line basis where the finished product was forced to fit into a particular price point in Gibson's line. The year after these GA30s were made, Seth Lover left Gibson and Gibson ended the tweed line. They converted their lower cost amps to EL84s which run at a friendly 300 volts or so (transformers didn't cost much) and the middle-price models to 7591s ... the 6V6 vanished from the Gibson line. The GA30 model returned two years later with a front-facing folded chassis, twin 7591s, ss rectifier, and 12" and 10" speakers

The amp is currently running a pair of black plate / smoked glass RCAs (also courtesy of Wuzzatronics Sound Labs) like the ones shown below. Alongside on the left is a 6087/5Y3 military-grade rectifier with an indirectly heated cathode - it's the most rugged 5Y3 available. On the right is a stupidly expensive set of Bendix Red Bank 5992s patiently waiting their turn.

powertubes.jpg

The preamp is full of 6EU7s that I got from Hi-Fi Tubes, a highly credible tube dealer I contacted on the Polk Audio BB.

6eu7s.jpg

Link to Schematic.
Link to recently closed eBay GA30RV auction ... amp didn't sell due to unrealistic minimum bid.

krysh

Guildarist in the mod squad
Reaction score
Guild Total
john, thanks, I know. this would be one for the studio in addition for different sounds.....

but I am afraid for this year I am through with aquisitions. I'll have to pay the rest of my last ones and have to save for another one from jerre....and my car repairs...and the tax.... :wink:

but then....one day.... :D

capnjuan

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
guildzilla said:
Any tonal comparisons to your previous GA30RV project? Same or different in some ways?
Hi Zil; the other amp had a re-coned speaker that had more play time on it ... this one is still a little stiff. I really only got it running reliably in the last few days.

The other had all its interstage coupling caps replaced. You can read high ... and you can read low .... but you won't find anybody praising those brown chocolate drop caps. The sound like what they look like; little wads of mud.

Let the Fenderistas sing hosannahs to their blue and brown molded case caps if they want; when it comes to caps, new is better (this amp isn't a museum piece anyway). For example, do you think the boutiqueistas spend their time scouring eBay looking for used, out-of-date caps?

Also the tone pot spits and burfs when the knob/shaft is wiggled back and forth and there isn't much treble so that's a fix in the works but this amp has the same transformers, tubes, and speakers as the others; with a bit more tinkering, this one will shine just as brightly.

capnjuan

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
krysh said:
john, thanks, I know. this would be one for the studio in addition for different sounds.....
If you go looking, my suggestion would be either the GA8 with parallel 6V6s ... they have more meat in the note than a Champ ... or a GA8T ... only the model with push/pull 6BM8s; it's the foundation design for the Univox U45B ... one of the great tone values of all time. Both the GA8 and GA8T take 10" speakers; will move more air than a Champ unless used with a cabinet. You have been a busy buying boy! :D

krysh

Reaction score
Guild Total
capnjuan said:
krysh said:
If you go looking, my suggestion would be either the GA8 with parallel 6V6s ... they have more meat in the note than a Champ ... or a GA8T ... only the model with push/pull 6BM8s; it's the foundation design for the Univox U45B ... one of the great tone values of all time. Both the GA8 and GA8T take 10" speakers; will move more air than a Champ unless used with a cabinet. You have been a busy buying boy! :D

:oops: hmmm, well, you know...if you have THE opportunity... :oops: 8)

maybe you are right, but I'd like to have a 12"speaker better. 10" often sound too thin for my ears especially in combos....

capnjuan

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
krysh said:
... maybe you are right, but I'd like to have a 12"speaker better. 10" often sound too thin for my ears especially in combos....
i understand but ... maybe you haven't had the pleasure with one of these; a Weber 10A125 Alnico speaker - this one in Bluesdan's Gibson GA18. They are somewhat pricey but I promise there is nothing thin about these speakers at all.

speakerb.jpg

krysh

Reaction score
Guild Total
capnjuan said:
krysh said:
... maybe you are right, but I'd like to have a 12"speaker better. 10" often sound too thin for my ears especially in combos....
i understand but ... maybe you haven't had the pleasure with one of these; a Weber 10A125 Alnico speaker - this one in Bluesdan's Gibson GA18. They are somewhat pricey but I promise there is nothing thin about these speakers at all...

well, you got me john, sir. I 've never had the pleasure, yet. :oops:

capnjuan

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
Walter B is a big Weber fan but Weber doesn't have a Euro distributor. With the air freight and the duties, he says Webers are not cost-competitive in Europe. But the Webers are a little less than Scumback 10s and they are a lot less than the Celestion Alnico 10s. Only saying there are some very strong 10" speakers out there ... but they are not billig :(

twocorgis

Venerated Member
Gold Supporting
Reaction score
Guild Total
Good for you Cap'n. All I've ever owned when it comes to tube amps are late '60s Sunn 200S amps. The first one that I owned I beat the ever living crap out of. I gigged a lot with it, and through two ridiculously heavy EV SRO speakers (that actually broke the Fender Bandmaster cabinet I had them in by their sheer weight and volume) it was the loudest 50 watts you've ever heard. The only maintenence I ever did was a new pair of KT 88s. I foolishly sold that amp long ago when I was convinced I needed a GK, then a Hartke, and now I've found another 200S of the same vintage in great shape so I bought it. the only thing it needed was a new set of JJ KT88s. when I bought it it had a pair of tired 6550s which aren't period-correct for pre ® mark Sunns. They used 6550s in later 200Ss, but the ones in this amp were a wee bit tired.

I'm not sure if the bias is set for 6550's or KT88s, but all I can say is that it sounds UNBELIEVABLE with both the P-Bass and the Pilot through the lone SRO I have left, now in a ported cab with a midrange horn. I'm mortified of killing myself working on tube amps, and my old tech is dead. I would like to get it checked out, although I may well just leave the amp alone. Sunns seem to work better like that. :D

Tube heaven!

twocorgis

Venerated Member
Gold Supporting
Reaction score
Guild Total
Default said:
http://www.jacmusic.com/KT88/kt88.htm

Interesting page on kt88/6550's.

Indeed, Steve. This is one one of the pages I used to refresh my memory about all this stuff, as I had been away for a while. I'll never make that mistake again, and will be selling all my SS bass stuff soon.

The cool thing about the 200S is that it's a pretty good guitar amp, too, and has the biggest transformer I've ever seen in an amp of that rating. 8)

Super Moderator
Platinum Supporting
Reaction score
Guild Total
I'm going in the opposite direction! I just received a Realistic-branded Univox U45B in the mail today - ten watts of raging tube power!
You can blame the good captain for starting me down that slippery path of good sounding, under the radar guitar amps.

Thanks buddy! :wink:

twocorgis

Venerated Member
Gold Supporting
Reaction score
Guild Total
Default said:
I'm going in the opposite direction! I just received a Realistic-branded Univox U45B in the mail today - ten watts of raging tube power!

Cool. That thing must distort as soon as you turn it on!

Default said:
You can blame the good captain for starting me down that slippery path of good sounding, under the radar guitar amps.

Thanks buddy! :wink:

I wouldn't mind trying one of these Gibby amps; I though yours was cool. I still have a hankering for an old blackface Fender of some sort. That minty '65 Super Reverb's still available. :twisted: