" 1965 Guild S-50 "

Reaction score
Finally got rid of the last of my tax refund !

Today I bought another guitar to add to my vintage collection.
I had no defined criteria.
Actually,I was not even looking to buy this. It simply caught my eye,
and since I have never owned a solid body,well....you all know how it happens.
Probably paid too much. Don't care. Just excited to see what I may have been missing !

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... 1444wt_879

So...if you own one or have something similar,I would like to hear from you my fellow LTG'rs.

Ps. I really like the laughing emoticon so I'm putting one in right here ! :lol:

~ Raj

yettoblaster

Reaction score
The older I get, the more limited becomes my need of solidbodies, but THAT'S COOL!

I'd buy that in a hot second.

Looks to be in excellent condition too!

yettoblaster

Reaction score
How are your fingers?

You have mediums or Bluegrass strings on your acoustics?

I'd try some nickel in 0.011" - 0.050" or thereabouts. Anybodie's.

Reaction score
My fingers are fine.
Very thick callouses built up.
I am just unfamiliar with what strings would normally go on a solid body electric ?
I suppose the man at the music store can help,however,I am hoping for input from other S50 owners.

Thanks for your kind reply. I will look into nickel in 0.011" - 0.050"

Thank you,yetto !

~ Raj

yettoblaster

Reaction score
playsvintageguilds said:
...will look into nickel in 0.011" - 0.050"...

Some manufacturers sets may run 0.011" - 0.049" or 0.048" depending.

Many electric solidbody players use 0.010" - 0.046" especiallty on Fender scale length (25.5" vs Gibson 24.75") but I think coming from acoustic guitars you may prefer the more "fight" feel from slightly heavier. Standard "Slinky" electric strings can feel like rubber bands coming from an acoustic (there are also heavier still of course, for still more resistance and fatter sound).

I prefer "pure nickel" wrap on the wound strings, but many strings are nickel plated steel wrapped, which are louder and brighter. I prefer the nickel vs nickel plated because in the old "vintage" days that was what was available and I like their sound: somewhat mellower and maybe a bit "thinner" sounding vs the fat spike a magnetic pickup gets from steel (in this case nickel plated steel).

Try a bunch over time and just as in acoustic strings I'm sure a preference will develop for sound and feel.

FWIW I like GHS "Nickel Rockers," which are slightly smoother feeling, and nickel wrapped (as opposed to GHS "Boomers," which are easier to find, cheaper a little, and nickel plated steel wrapped on the wound strings).

Other manufacturers call their nickel wrapped strings by names like "Pure Blues," or "Vintage," etc.

It's endless. There's never been more selection.

Reaction score
Hmm...
To state the guitar is ugly,requires a descriptive explanation of YOUR definition of ugly as it pertains to guitars.
Esthetically speaking,the guitar has an unusual shape at its' base. I have yet to determine how well it plays and how great it sounds.
I will do some personal research when it arrives.

My wife of 38 years says I am ugly...especially if I spend way too much time on the computer.
So,I bought her a laptop and taught her how to use a computer and set up her e-mail,facebook,etc.
Now she thinks I am beautiful !
Beauty is transitory,as is change.

I am most greatful for your honest comment.

~ Raj

Reaction score
Today I had an opportunity to stop at a music store.

In anticipation of my '65 Guild S50, I bought a couple sets of
" GHS Nickel Rockers," and a nice right angle cord.

Now I wait for the " Arrival " !

Last night I dreamed I was playing the S50...and tearing it apart 'til the roof came off !!

C'mon...can I get a witness ? Can I get a witness ??

Whoot ! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Thunderface

Reaction score
littlesongs said:
johndoe.jpg

In the hands of a talent like John Doe, the mid-60s Guild solid body shape looks balanced and it fits well.

John Doe played/plays the two-pickup S-100 Polara? Very cool. I also have a '65 Jet-Star S-50, refinished in black over the original red, which peeks out of a couple of chips in the body. It's a great old guitar, and I really like the Hagstrom vibrato on mine. The pickup in the center takes a little getting used to, because at first I would become self-conscious that I was strumming right over the top of it. Tonally it didn't make a huge difference, but it would always throw off my concentration a tad when I thought "whoa, I'm right over the pickup again." I never seem to have that problem with a two-pickup guitar. And with a little time spent with this little gem, I got over that problem.

I liken the pickup to being somewhere between a P-90 and a Fender single coil, a little less than one, a little more than the other, if that makes sense. Anyway, a lot of fun to be had. Congrats, Raj.
DSCN0415.jpg

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
Thunderface said:
And with a little time spent with this little gem, I got over that problem.
DSCN0415.jpg
I can't break up a happy family. I humbly relinquish my pursuit of your S50. It's in better hands than mine. :D

Thunderface

Reaction score
adorshki said:
I can't break up a happy family. I humbly relinquish my pursuit of your S50. It's in better hands than mine. :D

That's debatable about the quality of the hands it is in. :p Your pursuit has been duly noted, and will be considered, should the Jet-Star ever find it's way onto the market.