Tube Amp Heaven!

twocorgis

Venerated Member
Gold Supporting
Reaction score
Guild Total
Hi All,

I had a very productive day today!

For some time now, I've been trying to find a suitable replacement for the Sunn 200S bass amp that I foolishly sold some years back, and have found out that there's just not many of them out there. I've passed on a few of them that I thought were either in poor condition or overpriced, and then this one surfaces on Craigslist last night, so I just had to go have a look at it.

I got there, and the amp was really in beautiful condition, and despite the seller saying it needs new tubes, it sounded GREAT. The 6550s that are in there actually aren't correct. I know from the fact that there's no "®" sign after the Sunn logo tells me it's earlier than 1969, and should have KT88s. My luthier has a friend that does tube amps, and I plan on taking it to him for evaluation. Pics soon, and I'll be getting rid of my GK and Hartke heads shortly!

While there, the seller showed me a '65 Fender Super Reverb that absolutely blew me away. I have never seen an amp of this age that was in such immaculate condition. :shock: I could not find a flaw on it anywhere, and have some serious thinking to do. I have absolutely no idea what this amp is worth. He's asking for $2500, but said he'd sell it to me for $2200. That sounds like too much money to me, but he claims that he bought the amp from a studio in Nashville that apparently never used it, and said that he spent $3K including shipping. The guy seems like a pretty nice fellow, but who knows whether that's true?

The Sunn is already with me (and I'm never selling this one), but I'm not sure what to do with the Super Reverb. Anyone have any idea here what it's really worth?

Jeff Haddad

Reaction score
Good score! And good luck with the Super Reverb. I would think even $2200 is a tad high, although the condition could command that higher price. Not that the amp isn't worth it, but it's a tough time to be a seller. A good barometer is to search completed auctions on eBay for similar amps. Besides, you'll need some money for those KT88's :D

It seems that the smaller amps are rising in value and the mid-power amps like the SR are falling. Have you seen Princeton Reverb prices lately?

twocorgis

Venerated Member
Gold Supporting
Reaction score
Guild Total
Jeff Haddad said:
Good score! And good luck with the Super Reverb. I would think even $2200 is a tad high, although the condition could command that higher price. Not that the amp isn't worth it, but it's a tough time to be a seller. A good barometer is to search completed auctions on eBay for similar amps.

I checked some prices that seemed all over the map, though some were close Here's a '66 that's not nearly as nice. This one looks nicer (hard to tell with CL pics), and at a good price too I guess.

Jeff Haddad said:
Besides, you'll need some money for those KT88's :D

I see KT88 prices all over the map as well. Are these any good? dunno much about tubes really. :roll:

Jeff Haddad said:
It seems that the smaller amps are rising in value and the mid-power amps like the SR are falling. Have you seen Princeton Reverb prices lately?

Haven't noticed. Really, I never considered the Sunn 200S to be "smaller", though I guess that's how it gets classified. My setup back in the day was my '72 P-Bass that I still own, and the Sunn 200S with 2 15" EV SRO speakers (still own) in a Fender Bandmaster cabinet (fell apart under the weight of the SROs). It was REALLY loud, and kept up with many a Marshall Stack. 8)

Jeff Haddad

Reaction score
By smaller amps, I meant the smaller Fender guitar amps - Princeton Reverb, and Deluxe Reverb. Their prices seem to be rising while the mid-size (>30 watts) and larger seem to be falling.

Sorry, I don't really know about bass amps...

twocorgis

Venerated Member
Gold Supporting
Reaction score
Guild Total
Jeff Haddad said:
By smaller amps, I meant the smaller Fender guitar amps - Princeton Reverb, and Deluxe Reverb. Their prices seem to be rising while the mid-size (>30 watts) and larger seem to be falling.

Sorry, I don't really know about bass amps...

Sorry about that Jeff, I guess I misunderstood you. :oops:

I have seen the 200S classified as a low power amp. It's only rated at 50 watts IIRC. All I know is that it's the loudest 50 watts I've ever heard. 8)

dapmdave

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
That Super Reverb is super!

The '09 vintage guitar price guide has it pegged at $2200 in top condition.

Dave :D

twocorgis

Venerated Member
Gold Supporting
Reaction score
Guild Total
dapmdave said:
That Super Reverb is super!

It really was Dave. I've never seen anything that age in such outstanding original condition. Maybe it is worth it.

dapmdave said:
The '09 vintage guitar price guide has it pegged at $2200 in top condition.

Dave :D

Interesting. I guess this one's in the best condition you could expect one to be, so that's the top of the price range.

Walter Broes

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Seems a little on the steep side for that Super indeed - but I just got home from playing a gig with my '68 Super Reverb, I needed something slightly cleaner than the tweed bandmaster I usually play these days, and I had almost forgotten what a great amp it is, Super Reverbs are so nice! Hard to beat four tens and two 6L6's in a Fender amp, and the reverb and tremolo are....eh....Super!! :oops:

twocorgis

Venerated Member
Gold Supporting
Reaction score
Guild Total
Walter Broes said:
Seems a little on the steep side for that Super indeed - but I just got home from playing a gig with my '68 Super Reverb, I need something slightly cleaner than the tweed bandmaster I play these days, and I had almost forgotten what a great amp it is, Super Reverbs are so nice!

It is a little steep no doubt, but I've never seen anything quite like it. There wasn't a mark anywhere, even on the bottom. I've seen week old amps with marks on the bottom. Had most of the original sheen on the grille too.

Walter Broes

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
That does change things indeed. But who would want an amp that clean? I know I wouldn't, I'd just take all that sheen off in a matter of months!