Brown Amps Clip Redux

capnjuan

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
In another thread, a member was asking around about a new amp ... something with some of the desirable modern features; master volume, channel switching, EQ ... features that add interest and versatility. I think I posted this link a couple of years ago but ran across it again over on the Gear Page. A guy recorded himself playing Strange Brew on an ES345 through the following older, knee-high fart-box style amps;

Gibson Skylark (single-ended 6V6 until 1963),
Supro Super (year unknown; early models single-ended 6V6),
Gibson BR-9 (gone after 1953; twin 6V6s out and a transformer for a phase inverter),
Alamo Model 3 (details ??),
Univox U-185 (details ??), and
another unidentified '50s Supro.

Here's the link.

Except for maybe the Supros ... where you'd have to duke it out financially with the Boyz over at Valcotone's Valco-Supro BB on eBay to buy one, all of the rest of these amps can be bought/rehabbed for less than 25% of what an ES345 goes for ... and I scoff in the direction of any amp that has a feature labeled: "Switch here for warm fat tube tone". :evil: :wink:

Super Moderator
Platinum Supporting
Reaction score
Guild Total
Ahh, I remember that thread! I think I signed up at TGP just for that thread.

capnjuan

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
FNG said:
http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandID=589296&content=music Cool channel! Supro and Crossroads was cool... 8)
Hi Effin; the guy has some good stuff - I especially enjoyed the clips comparing guitars / amps / pickups ... I guess it may also be true that if anyone plays as well as that gent, then it doesn't matter whether he's playing a $40 junker amp or not ... it's going to sound good! J

dapmdave

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
capnjuan said:
FNG said:
http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandID=589296&content=music Cool channel! Supro and Crossroads was cool... 8)
Hi Effin; the guy has some good stuff - I especially enjoyed the clips comparing guitars / amps / pickups ... I guess it may also be true that if anyone plays as well as that gent, then it doesn't matter whether he's playing a $40 junker amp or not ... it's going to sound good! J

Thanks for posting. There's an education to be had in that clip.

I'd bet that a lot of the tone is (1) The player's talent and (2) An awesome vintage ES.

Dave :D

capnjuan

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
A little more on the brown amps:

Gibson Skylark: (single-ended 6V6 until 1963) ... I think one of our members still has one of these. (eBay auction link):

Gibsonskylark.jpg

Supro 1606 Super year unknown; early models single-ended 6V6. (eBay auction link)

supro1606.jpg

Gibson BR-9: gone after 1953; twin 6V6s out and a transformer for a phase inverter. (eBay auction link)

BR-9.jpg

Transformer for phase inverter: not especially common but technically a more accurate way to supply each output tube with 1/2 of the AC musical waveform. Used in the BR-9, tinkered with in Gibson's mid-60s GA35RVT, and adopted by Fender for use in its good-selling, long-running (1970-1982) MusicMaster student/practice bass amp; earlier versions with 6AQ5s, later ones with 6V6s.

PIs.jpg

BR-9 schematic / Gibson GA-35RVT schematic / Fender MusicMaster schematic

Alamo model 3: Sold with a 10" speaker. (more pics) U-Toob demo vid

Alamomodel3.jpg

Didn't find much useful on the Univox U-185 and OP's other unidentified Supro.

I liked the BR-9 too ... a meatier tone probably because of the twin 6V6s out and maybe the phase inverter too; all the older ones (of the type pictured) have field coil speakers, the latest of the '50-'53 brown suitcase models have permanent magnet speakers (originally Jensens).

FNG

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
I snagged a 67 Gretsch Country Gent awhile back, and now thinking about getting a period companion amp.

Any suggestions?